Loving the FAS Amp Models

I agree. They definitely are wonderful amps and for me, problem solvers. I was having a very difficult time trying to dial in the JCM800. There were some things I wanted present, others, not so much. It was frustrating because I knew the sound I wanted is in that amp, but I just didn't have the know how to get what I needed out of it. But, enter the Brit 800 Mod amp, and I was much closer in a fraction of the time. Same thing with some of the Plexis. The FAS Hot Rod is a killer high gain Plexi sound as soon as you call it up. These FAS models are dialed in so well off the bat, it's a shame I haven't utilized them earlier.

The normal amps try to be faithful recreations, warts and all. The FAS models are not limited by those constraints. I adjust the advanced features a lot to create my sound, so I get it.

Maybe they should be called Cliff Modded Plexi (Class A, Wrecker, etc...) or CC Marssa (Marshall/Mesa), CC-30 etc... I didn't really think about the FAS models much until I read the Wiki, they are so much more than just Fractal amp models.

Definitely overlooked. They hit the spot.
I like the idea behind them, "idealized models".
Cutting out any of the drawbacks that came with a particular analog circuit. Plus some of them are mixed and matched portions from multiple preamp sections. Kinda like a "Best Of" model.

For mid gain rhythm sounds, the Brit 800 (for less gain) and Brit 800 #34 (for more gain) were always my favourites, but I also discovered not too long ago how excellent the FAS Crunch is for that. It sounds different, and often better. I think I have to look more into the Hotrod model, too. Last time I tried it I found it a bit overwhelming, but that might have been an issue of selecting the wrong cab - I think I tried it with legacy cab 54, the Pre Rola 55, and to me that cab has a very distinct, very powerful and "dominating" tone, so I will revisit the Hotrod and try other cabs.

With the Class-A, I must say I still prefer some of the modeled "real" amps for their distinct tone, especially the Vox AC30 and the Trainwreck Rocket.

I don't need many high gain sounds, but when I need one, I find the FAS Brootalz is devastating, in the best possible meaning.

The FAS amps are killer. Don't forget there are a few that aren't called "FAS" like Big Hair, Thordendal, Buttery, Supertweed...

I'd love to hear Cliff's take on something Fendery like an ideal Twin or Deluxe... ;-)
Good point.

And Amen to that! I was going to say, the only thing I wish was in there was a take on the clean Blackface tone a la Mayer/SRV. Interested in what a FAS Fender might produce.

Back
Top Bottom