Loving my FM9, but a full fledged Axe Fx 3 power in a 12 button FC12 size would be amazing!

Not gonna happen for the same reason that the Axe-8 wasn't an Axe II in a box either. You just can't fit the powerful hardware, especially the chips, into a floor unit without making it massive in size. Like stomping on a 2 or 3 HE sized floor unit. Which is probably not that comfortable to begin with. Line 6 can easily do a rack and floor unit of the same power, because the rack unit is basically a rehoused floor unit. Maybe Fractal should go that way too. Create the most powerful floor unit that they can create, and then create a rack unit of the same capabilities a little later. And it will probably have the advantage of being a 2 or even 1 HE unit too. And then everybody will be happy.

I know it's a dumb idea before even suggesting it but; what if they had a one or two rack Fractal unit with NO face plate or controls, ala H9000?

The rack piece has the brains, fans, chips etc. And then via cord/cable or wireless, you have a 9 or 12 button floor controller with a screen, etc.?

That way you get the processing power of a full-fledged AxeIII (or beyond) and the FC becomes a (mostly) dumb controller. Though I could imagine Fractal stepping that game up like they do with everything and providing more than just basic controls on the FC side.

Anyway, just a thought. 👍

I know it's a dumb idea before even suggesting it but; what if they had a one or two rack Fractal unit with NO face plate or controls, ala H9000?

The rack piece has the brains, fans, chips etc. And then via cord/cable or wireless, you have a 9 or 12 button floor controller with a screen, etc.?

That way you get the processing power of a full-fledged AxeIII (or beyond) and the FC becomes a (mostly) dumb controller. Though I could imagine Fractal stepping that game up like they do with everything and providing more than just basic controls on the FC side.

Anyway, just a thought. 👍
You can't have a 1 HE Axe III, because the chips and hardware inside need room to cool, and if it could fit in a 1HE unit it would have been released as a floorboard unit. And there seem to be plenty of people who still need and/or prefer front panel access for on the gig editing. I wouldn't mind having a smaller unit like you suggested but its a number's game. Cater to the group that are okay with losing the front panel and you lose the front panel users who will go f*** this shit I'm out. Keep the front panel and keep the unit big and the small unit crowd will complain a little but still get the unit. The latter just offers you more sales.

So why not keep both? Again, just spit-balling ideas here:

Keep existing AxeIII hardware as-is, front panel and all, but develop a "headless" 3U unit with no faceplate and add-in a wired/wireless option for down the road.

For the foot controller that is. And editing/tweaking is done via a laptop, tablet or smartphone app?

You could sell the headless box sans FC and just have people edit with their phone/tablet/PC as well.

Anyway they're just ideas, and I agree with the sentiment that no matter what you're not going to please "everyone". 👍

I've always dreamed of some kinda link port that allows the current gen variants to be daisy chained together. Of course that would most likely introduce a certain amount of latency but could have the potential to do some insanely crazy presets.

I've always dreamed of some kinda link port that allows the current gen variants to be daisy chained together. Of course that would most likely introduce a certain amount of latency but could have the potential to do some insanely crazy presets.
Can’t you use AES or SPDIF to link the units together without inducing additional latency?

Could you add some photos? Tried to get a good look but can’t get it.
Here's the website: https://jbagproducts.com/pb

This product has been on the forum before. Some questioned the legality. They seem to be a customized builder of pedal boards (among other things). It's no different than shops that will customize an automobile or motorcycle after market. I'm really curious about the cost, which they don't post. I'm guessing any and all warranties from Fractal would be voided for such a project.

I don’t think it’s a dumb idea. And I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s not already being considered or on the drawing table.

The technologies underneath the FX3 are improving, chips with the same power are getting smaller, using less power and emitting less heat.

I don’t think it’s a dumb idea. And I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s not already being considered or on the drawing table.

The technologies underneath the FX3 are improving, chips with the same power are getting smaller, using less power and emitting less heat.
I think it is awesome. And looking at it they seem to prove that it is possible. This would be a dream come true for many. No compromises and less to carry around.

Shouldn't it look like this (FM12)...???
  • with 8 Scenes per Preset (you could have all in a row on the bottom) and still 4 buttons left (on the top row) to select a Preset or Effects page
  • with 4 Channels
  • still not breaking the magic 12 (no big deal for the developers of the edit software)

Attachments

• Kopie von fractal-audio-fm9-modeling-fx-1 xxx.jpeg
    Kopie von fractal-audio-fm9-modeling-fx-1 xxx.jpeg
    241 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom