Love When Guitar matches your nails and lipstick

Tim & Pete had her on their show. I thought she was playing through an AX8 but it could've been a Helix. I don't recall but I did check out a few of her songs afterwards because her playing and phrasing really stood out. I think she's from Brasil maybe?

Yeah her sense of playing, phrasing, musicality, technique and personal touch make even covers you heard done a thousand times sound fresh and inspiring. A definite shining gem in a world of millions of musicians!

I’m trying to recall of any videos stratman posted that aren’t females.....kind of his thing, and that’s cool in an way, promoting female guitar players because there aren’t many, but, at the same time, when the attention is dependent upon gender I could see how many feel uncomfortable with that...

like if we only talk about black guys that play hockey, or white guys in the NBA etc..... it’s like yeah they can play, but look at their skin color....why does that matter ?

does it matter the gender of a guitar player then ?

we don’t make lists of top ten male guitar players, maybe because they are all assumed to be men anyways ?

but we certainly do see things like “top ten female guitar players”.....

it’s like saying I respect you so much as an equal I’m going to treat you differently lol

I’m trying to recall of any videos stratman posted that aren’t females.....kind of his thing, and that’s cool in an way, promoting female guitar players because there aren’t many, but, at the same time, when the attention is dependent upon gender I could see how many feel uncomfortable with that...

like if we only talk about black guys that play hockey, or white guys in the NBA etc..... it’s like yeah they can play, but look at their skin color....why does that matter ?

does it matter the gender of a guitar player then ?

we don’t make lists of top ten male guitar players, maybe because they are all assumed to be men anyways ?

but we certainly do see things like “top ten female guitar players”.....

it’s like saying I respect you so much as an equal I’m going to treat you differently lol
I see your point. Good point. But in my case I have posted just as many videos of guys playing guitar if we look back. But lately I haven't
In all honesty part of it is I am amazed (in a good way) that so many young ladies are taking to the guitar and seriously taking to it.
You can tell by my signature about how old I am. Growing up many girls\young woman I knew played piano.
when I grew up, on Long Island actually, you were not going to find a female guitar player. If you did they were playing folk music. Which is cool. That's how I started- James Taylor, Croce, etc, etc, Didn't get an electric until I was in my 20's. That may e part of it also.

But I must say, none of what you said applies to me. I mean the parts about the condescending attitude, etc, etc.. To me it is so refreshing. I love it.
Also, can't help it, I like girls :)

Seen her a few times in vids, flawless technique and always a big grin so loves to play

Have to say, I really like the tone on that SG vid, does anyone know what she's playing through?

Reactions: jon
I can see where Stratman is coming from. I remember back in the 80s, a drummer we had would always say things like "women and rock... not a good mix." I always figured Lita Ford could kick his ass back then. Rock and music in general seem to be kind of a boys club and I think it is more fun if the women join in and perform as well. And I'm not talking about pretty dancers singing songs with autotune that were produced by the studio and dancing to choreographed moves. (I know there is a market for that, but not what I enjoy.)

I have a lot of respect for women that actually have the guts to get up and play and the dedication to practice and attain a level of excellence. I follow a lot of rock and metal bands that are fronted by women, mostly because they have the guts to get up and do it themselves. It kind of evolved from following Arch Enemy. I would start my YouTube with some of their stuff, and one day I saw and ad for Frozen Crown's new album, and it got my attention. I started following them, and next thing you know I'm discovering a ton of fresh new music with people who can actually sing, and some great guitar playing along the way. (Some of the guitarists are women, for example Thalia from Frozen Crown. She and the other guy are really good for the technical metal stuff, and the singer Giada has a clear power rock voice with some operatic influences.)

Guys, guys - ofc we make the double standard, and it usually plays out in favor of the women. No such thing as gender equality, as a statement of fact, so let’s not try to intellectualize an excercise in vainly vapid futility. Men can do things women can’t, especially highly physical feats of super strength or combat /endurance. And while this may be slightly less seen, woman can do things men can’t - namely making babies , which is undoubtedly THE single , hardest , and essential part of life, so they win that one.

there are no absolutes, really a tiny group of woman can probably do almost anything men can do physically, like maybe a very agile and athletic woman bodybuilder, but that’s so few and far between and then they are taking unnatural supplements including HGH , testosterone and steroids to even get to the physical level to compete so it’s not equal again

and for everything woman do- there are hundreds of things guys can’t, and the ones they can do alongside women, the men never meet to the woman standards, and again , most important - men can’t make kids lol so as far as im Concerned woman are the stronger and better sex. They are better looking, better smelling, better tasting lol, better to listen to , and by far, way way nicer to touch than a man

so in a pro and con list, woman still get the last call ;)

i actually find these clips cute, like no matter how hard a girl rocks out and performs, Metal is just TOO male/masculine for proper female handling, but that’s the only genre I’d say woman might not be on equal footing ( I mean I see metal as militaristic anthems for battle, and woman have absolutely no place in combat/battle or war, so men make metal, but nothing is absolute and there are one or two ok girl metal bands but anyway

we all have strength and weakness and anyone can do anything they put their mind to, with the right amount of work ambition and talent . Instead of lying to ourselves and the world, I’d rather emphasize the differences so I can enjoy them more , like the difference between a bikini and a thong and string bikini, let’s get into that next ! Lol

Pretty narrow view of metal, and one of my pet peeves sbout most of the modern metal. Seems everyone wants to go with whatever odd sub-genre they are most into and make all of their music fit into that niche. I play in a band with 2 guys that are half my age, and the more outspoken of the 2 was explaining what various sub-genre niches were and how they define themselves. I asked him what our band was, and he looked a little confused and said, just metal. Lol. I write about different things, frankly because I am not always thinking about the same shit over and over. And I, for one, think Alissa White-Gluz kicks the snot out of most of the guys singing metal, and Angela was doing that before her.

Sorry for the rant, and back on topic, I definitely appreciate the fact that more women are doing real music. Lari is one of the tops out there, but I have seen a lot of really good ones. As nice as the lead work was on this video, I think the arrangements she was doing with the chords and the overall song structure was very cool. Not just mindless noodling, but something that was well put together with good and fresh melodies. Yes, if the nail color matched better it would have been the icing in the cake.(just kidding on the last one.)

Back
Top Bottom