Love the FX8 - and why I didn't buy one (at least not yet)

Mark Scrivener

Inspired
Hello Fellow Musicians,

I totally get the FX8 (and the AX8 for that matter), and am very tempted. I'm sure it sounds amazing, and the ability to instantly recall an effects chain, settings and all is huge. Not to mention not having to lug around a huge pedal board, deal with patch cables going bad, noise, power supplies, etc. And the price point - wow!

But there is one thing that so far has kept me from pulling the trigger - and I'm curious to see if this has been an issue for others.....menus and LCD screens vs knobs and switches. I'm no stranger to computers and tech (and quite comfortable with it all), but there is a certain "relationship" I have with my analog gear. I love the freedom to just grab the knob I want or push a button or flip a switch - without having to call up a menu and scroll down to a setting to rotate an encoder. This desire for the physical tactile interface has kept my recording studio analog (yep, big console, patch bay, lots of classic outboard, etc), and thus far it is keeping my pedal board separate too (though I do have some Strymon pedals, so DSP vs analog is not an issue).

I'd love to hear from those who have adopted the FX8 (or even the AX8) how the LCD and menu interface vs pretty little boxes with knobs and switches has changed your approach to the gear. Do the menus get in the way of inspiration? Has it hampered your creativity in any way? Has it changed your approach to crafting sounds (either for the better or worse)?

Thanks in advance for your inputs!
Mark

What I gained with the FX8 far outweighs any 'conventional' control of the effects. There is a learning curve but once I got it, it became fairly easy to navigate and make changes on the fly. As much time as I put into my presets and scenes, there are always those situations where I need more gain from a pedal or the delay mix needs to be adjusted. If you put in the time to set up the 'pedal boards' with what you need using presets, you can push a button or two then easily tweak away with the knobs. The only rub for me is switching out effects on the fly, the FX8 doesn't allow the user to store preferred effect settings in the unit (you can in FX8 Edit with Block Presets). You can only move effects between presets.

Mark

My thinking used to be just like yours. It is easy to buy a pedal, twist a few knobs and get a sound. Everything is right there. It is just as easy to do so with the FX8. The only difference is you have to push a few buttons to get to a screen where you can do the same thing or even more. Plus,with the FX8 you can save different iterations of the same pedal. Ever find yourself bending over, or even worse using your toes, and changing the settings on a pedal during a gig or recording session? Those days are over. Plus you can modify the very nature of the pedal if you want to dig deeper. This isn't like programming the old Roland products from the 1990's where by the time you scrolled to the page with the parameter you wanted to change you forgot what you wanted to do.

Hi Mark,

what I found I did was to buy the FX8, and just figure out the basic stuff - literally how to plug it in (using 4cm) with my amps. I did have the advantage of owning an AxeFX first, but the process was the same. - once I plugged in, I just started to play. tried out all the presets, and didn't bother changing/saving anything at all, just listened to what it did (and it did it well..), then slowly started to make minor changes and save them, and then eventually got to the point where I was creating my own presets, i'm now pretty comfortable with making presets, changing all sorts fo things, and it wasn't too bad of a learning process.

as well, they have a great return arrangement at Fractal, so, try it - get one, spend a good day or so on it, and read the manual.....and i bet you'll like it...I love mine.

It depends on what you need and how much you are content to carry around. I can do our gigs with a very minimal pedal rig (or none if it came down to it), but it is well worth it that every time we learn something new, I know I have what I need to nail the sound. Before the FX8 I'd accumulated a nice collection of pedals to everything we were doing at the time. However, I found myself disappointed when new challenges came about and I was forced to compromise. FWIW, I am still using analog OD pedals, largely because I like being able to tweak them on the fly.

If for no other reason, I wouldn't want to do without because of the automation and balancing functions I've built into my rig. For example, I've just added a Suhr Koko Boost to cascade with my Tim OD. I found there was a slight volume drop, but since I'm triggering the Koko with a relay from the FX8, I can add a slight volume boost that happens only when the Koko is on. Add to that a different boost for solos...I never have to think about that stuff any more...

In short, I'm happy not to carry the enormous pedal board it would take to get the sounds and functions I'm getting, and I sure don't miss the pedal dance.

Oh and the only pedals I still own are those analog OD pedals...and I have bought a second FX8!!! Love it!!!

Hello Fellow Musicians,

I totally get the FX8 (and the AX8 for that matter), and am very tempted. I'm sure it sounds amazing, and the ability to instantly recall an effects chain, settings and all is huge. Not to mention not having to lug around a huge pedal board, deal with patch cables going bad, noise, power supplies, etc. And the price point - wow!

But there is one thing that so far has kept me from pulling the trigger - and I'm curious to see if this has been an issue for others.....menus and LCD screens vs knobs and switches. I'm no stranger to computers and tech (and quite comfortable with it all), but there is a certain "relationship" I have with my analog gear. I love the freedom to just grab the knob I want or push a button or flip a switch - without having to call up a menu and scroll down to a setting to rotate an encoder. This desire for the physical tactile interface has kept my recording studio analog (yep, big console, patch bay, lots of classic outboard, etc), and thus far it is keeping my pedal board separate too (though I do have some Strymon pedals, so DSP vs analog is not an issue).

I'd love to hear from those who have adopted the FX8 (or even the AX8) how the LCD and menu interface vs pretty little boxes with knobs and switches has changed your approach to the gear. Do the menus get in the way of inspiration? Has it hampered your creativity in any way? Has it changed your approach to crafting sounds (either for the better or worse)?

Mark

I get it, but if you don't you'll only be trolling the portal looking for a new excuse to justify your decision to not get one, I say pull the trigger you'll feel much better about yourself and your rig not to mention the the AX8 FAS water is really great so jump on in!

@Admin M@ , a warning here: that company is no longer "functional". Ordered those knobs, waited for a long time, mailed them a lot, never got an answer, and had to file a claim with Paypal to get my money back.

Good call Yek, my eyes popped out of my head when i followed the link admin sent such a clever device, then after your post I noticed on the top of the page banner states the company is for sale, I sent a email through their to see if they are still selling them...

Yes, it's a touch less convenient to have to poke a button or two before you can spin the knobs. but the ability to reach exactly the sound you want with just one stomp (or two or three stomps, if you need a few dozen sounds at your disposal) far outweighs that for me. Knowing that I have an insane array of effects that are viable candidates for the title of As Good As It Gets only clinches the deal.

A small minority of people just aren't wired for the digital way. The only way to find out if you're one of them is to take advantage of the half-month free trial and see for yourself.

I do the bulk of my preset creation using the FX8-Edit software. After that, I don't mind tweaking settings on the fly from the FX8, if necessary. I tend to be more of a set it and forget it type player so, after I get a preset pretty well dialed in, I don't find myself in the menus much thereafter.

About 7 years ago when I had the AXE FX, I spent much more time in the menus. I was always tweaking an amp or cab or effect. Having tube amps and the FX8 has alleviated much of that. I don't miss my pedals at all. They are all for sale!

Hello Fellow Musicians,

Mark

Mark,

My approach is to find pleasing sounds by using my ears in conjunction with the various knobs and buttons to stumble upon a sound, tone, texture or what-have-you. That being said, I love my FX8, but it is a tool to me. I have analog and digital pedals that (I feel) simply can't be recreated. Even if the sound could technically be recreated, the tactile feeling of spontaneously grabbing and spinning a knob (or two) or flipping a toggle etc, for me, can not be substituted.

The main advantage of the FX8 for me is convenience. I'll spend days and hours creating sounds and tones with my analog gear, then mimic them with the FX8 and take them to jams/rehearsals without having to un-cable, pack up and lug all that around to set it all back up again somewhere else...then break it all back down etc etc.

Does it nail my specific gain sound? Can I get the same BBD breakup or envelope intermodulation? No, it doesn't capture all the little subtleties that I care about (that maybe only I can hear), but it fucking sounds good and I can get outstandingly close. I think the sound is incredible, but I can't really be inspired by sitting in front of a GUI clicking a mouse - that's just my take. In all, I feel like the FX8 is one of the best purchases I've made. For me it's an indispensable tool, and I rely on it for a LOT, but it's not clay. Just my two cents.

B

Mark,

My approach is to find pleasing sounds by using my ears in conjunction with the various knobs and buttons to stumble upon a sound, tone, texture or what-have-you. That being said, I love my FX8, but it is a tool to me. I have analog and digital pedals that (I feel) simply can't be recreated. Even if the sound could technically be recreated, the tactile feeling of spontaneously grabbing and spinning a knob (or two) or flipping a toggle etc, for me, can not be substituted.

The main advantage of the FX8 for me is convenience. I'll spend days and hours creating sounds and tones with my analog gear, then mimic them with the FX8 and take them to jams/rehearsals without having to un-cable, pack up and lug all that around to set it all back up again somewhere else...then break it all back down etc etc.

Does it nail my specific gain sound? Can I get the same BBD breakup or envelope intermodulation? No, it doesn't capture all the little subtleties that I care about (that maybe only I can hear), but it fucking sounds good and I can get outstandingly close. I think the sound is incredible, but I can't really be inspired by sitting in front of a GUI clicking a mouse - that's just my take. In all, I feel like the FX8 is one of the best purchases I've made. For me it's an indispensable tool, and I rely on it for a LOT, but it's not clay. Just my two cents.

B
I would like to counter this point with another perspective. During the creative process, how nice would it be if you could, with the click of a mouse, completely rewire your pedal board. Not only that, but you can re-wire it several times in different configurations. Now with the push of a footswitch or two, you can instantly switch between these setups on your board and compare the sounds. Maybe throw a different drive pedal in just for chuckles. Maybe with this one sound that BBPreamp just isn't cutting it. Try any of that with an analog pedal board. What you can do in minutes with the FX8 could potentially take hours with your analog board.

I actually find the creative process easier with the FX8 particularly when it is coupled with FX8-Edit.

I would like to counter this point with another perspective. During the creative process, how nice would it be if you could, with the click of a mouse, completely rewire your pedal board. Not only that, but you can re-wire it several times in different configurations. Now with the push of a footswitch or two, you can instantly switch between these setups on your board and compare the sounds. Maybe throw a different drive pedal in just for chuckles. Maybe with this one sound that BBPreamp just isn't cutting it. Try any of that with an analog pedal board. What you can do in minutes with the FX8 could potentially take hours with your analog board.

I actually find the creative process easier with the FX8 particularly when it is coupled with FX8-Edit.
Yep, this nails it for a lot of us. The FX8 is kind of a virtual pedal store where you can pick and choose from some of the best effects around and create your own pedal board. The effects also have extensive parameters that allow you to tweak until you can create that ideal sound. I've yet to find something I need that I haven't been able to accomplish with the FX8, again without compromise.

I was at rehearsal last week and needed to tweak a delay and a drive and this thread popped into my head. I wanted to really focus on how it compared to an analog pedal. I only performed 2 steps to get to any of the effect's parameters, and it's a quick process BTW. I rotated the NAV knob to the effect, pressed EDIT and voila! All of the knobs with the right parameters were right there, two more pages of parameters were available if needed. The only additional step for me is to press STORE and ENTER twice to save the new settings. Couldn't be much simpler for me.

Definitely a good advantage when trying of this kind of experimentation, but I meant more in the vein of twisting the Warp knob on EQD's Transmisser during a performance, which interacts with all the other controls in unpredictable ways, then dialing up or back one of the other controls as it morphs and changing the filter resonance. These types of things can't really be done easily live with the FX8 without preplanning with controllers or the like - not that it's a bad thing. I absolutely love the FX8, and will continue to be a Fractal customer and ambassador for life.

Hello Fellow Musicians,

Mark
I'd like to know too

Back
Top Bottom