Love 3.0 , but....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know if you meant to throw shade on me or what, but that's kinda how this sort of remark comes across, especially when the thread has resulted in a couple of different good outcomes: one was that we learned the bass modeling HAD changed (not in the release notes), and that there were some helpful ways to deal with it. The other poster who had issues with his preset learned why.

Chill out? You must not be in the midwest. ;)

No it wasn’t. In fact , I had to go back and read your post again , to remember what you wrote. Lol.

The fact that Cliff is driven to continually strive for perfection , and kind enough to share his improvements with us all ( for free , I might add ) merits my defending sarcasm in response to those who ; instead of giving thanks , prefer to bitch , because their previously altered presets need to be once again - altered , instead of asking for help , to better understand the changes.

Glad to hear some of your issues were resolved though. No offense taken. ;)

No it wasn’t. In fact , I had to go back and read your post again , to remember what you wrote. Lol.

The fact that Cliff is driven to continually strive for perfection , and kind enough to share his improvements with us all ( for free , I might add ) merits my defending sarcasm in response to those who ; instead of giving thanks , prefer to bitch , because their previously altered presets need to be once again - altered , instead of asking for help , to better understand the changes.

Glad to hear some of your issues were resolved though. No offense taken. ;)

Cool. If you go back through my own posts, you’ll see that I regularly express gratitude to the hard work they’re doing. I don’t think anyone on this thread was complaining just because they had to change their presets. Certainly wasn’t my intent.

While pursuit of perfection is admirable, it's also true that Cliff's pursuit sometimes has real world [negative] consequences for some players, as the OP has experienced. There's nothing wrong with admitting it.

I've felt these consequences in previous firmware amp "improvements" on the AX8. And I've read this complaint over and over from new Helix or Kemper or AmpliFIRE users as part of the reason they jumped off the FAS bandwagon. Guitarists spend a lot of time dialing in their presets and having to go in and redo presets doesn't engender, uhm... positive thoughts.

Just my personal opinion, of course. Your experience may differ.

While pursuit of perfection is admirable, it's also true that Cliff's pursuit sometimes has real world [negative] consequences for some players, as the OP has experienced. There's nothing wrong with admitting it.

I've felt these consequences in previous firmware amp "improvements" on the AX8. And I've read this complaint over and over from new Helix or Kemper or AmpliFIRE users as part of the reason they jumped off the FAS bandwagon. Guitarists spend a lot of time dialing in their presets and having to go in and redo presets doesn't engender, uhm... positive thoughts.

Just my personal opinion, of course. Your experience may differ.

Yeah.... it drives me so crazy when I have all these perfectly dialed in presets and everything is working great and my darn Axe-Fx auto updates the firmware at 3am, so then the next morning I power it up and everything sounds off....

So wish there was a way to allow the end user to choose if they want to update, and/or when, not just have the unit auto update everytime Cliff tries something new....

Better yet, if a user could save a backup of their settings, and also have the ability to go back to older firmware, restore their settings.... why that would just really solve a lot of issues....

:)

Maybe there’s a happy medium: There have been a few times, I think, when the firmware notes stated something unambiguous about what was done, like “corrected an error in how bass was compressed in the amp model. This will definitely change your presets. Don’t update right before a gig unless you enjoy surprises.”
That way nobody is surprised or sitting there questioning their sanity or their ears.

But that takes more work on Fractal’s part.

PS - they’ve also bent over backward back in the AxeFX2 days to provide alternate amp modeling choices in the same firmware, IIRC. So it’s not like they aren’t trying hard to be helpful.

Obviously if you’re not backing up your presets as a gigging musician and updating FW right before a gig, then either you still have a lot to learn in life or have outrageously unrealistic & unreasonable expectations. Neither of which falls at the feet of Fractal.
Amazing how many times we gotta go through this nonsense.

Obviously if you’re not backing up your presets as a gigging musician and updating FW right before a gig, then either you still have a lot to learn in life or have outrageously unrealistic & unreasonable expectations. Neither of which falls at the feet of Fractal.
Amazing how many times we gotta go through this nonsense.
+1 Seems obvious right?

Yeah.... it drives me so crazy when I have all these perfectly dialed in presets and everything is working great and my darn Axe-Fx auto updates the firmware at 3am, so then the next morning I power it up and everything sounds off....

So wish there was a way to allow the end user to choose if they want to update, and/or when, not just have the unit auto update everytime Cliff tries something new....

Better yet, if a user could save a backup of their settings, and also have the ability to go back to older firmware, restore their settings.... why that would just really solve a lot of issues....

:)
Comon man, you don't have to be like that.

Nobody said anything about upgrading moments before a gig or anything stupid like that. If firmware modeling "improvements" affect you, like it did the OP, dialing things back in might take HOURS or days if you have a lot of gigging presets. Or you punt and revert. I'm just pointing out that this process is a pain in the ass, no matter when it takes place, and there's no shame in admitting it versus sweeping it under the rug in FAS worship-land. Geez, I think we're all adults here.

The price of progress i'm afraid. I'm sure there are plenty of things that Cliff could not model 100% due to hardware or skill limitations, and "guesstimated" just to get on with it. Those things will be fixed along the way, to the displeasure of some, and the delight of many.

I refuse to complain about evolving progression toward perfection , and being given the ( voluntary ) opportunity to experience it ( for free ).
In my experience , most of the changes I made to amps ; while using old firmware , were no longer necessary with new firmware.
If updating is a pain for some , then just don’t do it. Each time Cliff improves this thing , I think - How in the heck can he make it sound any better ?!! - ....but he does. Lol
I’m just thankful for the opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom