Loud intermittent noise...

andyp13

Power User
When playing my Axe III (3.1) every now and then I get a loud sshhhhhh through the speakers - as loud as the actual guitar level.... if I pull out my guitar cable it stops, put it back in and all is fine.. this happened quite frequently tonight... it has happened before but only once or twice...
My patches are fine - I was playing one of the AustinBuddy patches.
Anyone else had this?

When playing my Axe III (3.1) every now and then I get a loud sshhhhhh through the speakers - as loud as the actual guitar level.... if I pull out my guitar cable it stops, put it back in and all is fine.. this happened quite frequently tonight... it has happened before but only once or twice...
My patches are fine - I was playing one of the AustinBuddy patches.
Anyone else had this?
My Axe3 is similar with cheaper/problematic guitar cables that seem to work ok in my cheaper devices. I pull out a more professional guitar cable (that's fairly new) and problem solved. I would guess that the secret sauce II preamp is very sensitive compared to what other brands use.

Thanks, it’s not a cheap guitar cable by any means but I switched over to my wireless system (plugged into the rear not the front) and it didn’t happen... will try it in the front input to make sure though.
Thanks for the input (pun) guys.

i have faced the same thing - check your noise gate settings - it behaves different than in 2.50, I had to redo settings , especially on driven patches. I am using Shure GLXD connected to input on the rear).

i have faced the same thing - check your noise gate settings - it behaves different than in 2.50, I had to redo settings , especially on driven patches. I am using Shure GLXD connected to input on the rear).
There were no changes to the noise gate.

I had alien noises coming from mine. It was driving me crazy. Re-wired my entire rig, still there. I knew it wasn't the AXE or the amp, but could not find what was causing it. Then I got a phone call, pulled my phone out of my pocket and it was gone. It was my cellphone causing interference.

Noise gate maybe not, but SVT is completely different, it took some time to find out that input drive is much more sensitive now. Anyway I had to play with NG as with 2 SVT blocks...
From the release notes:
"Reworked SV Bass amp model. Model is now based on a 1970 Ampeg SVT with 6550 power tubes and the midrange switch in position 3."

I ran into a similar situation where I had what sounded like grounding issues. Eventually the front input stopped working. Turned out the input board ribbon had been disconnected accidentally. I popped the top, put it back in and all good.
Check with support if you're OK to do that without voiding warranty. But that handled my issue.

After updating to 3.01 I was using the looper and three different times in about an hour when I hit record the volume jumped to about 4 times as loud as normal and made a terrible sound. Really loud. I thought I blew up my speakers, but it didn't. I have never experienced anything like this with the Axe FXII or III before. Later that night I turned the Axe FXIII back on and played around with the looper for an hour or two with no problems at all.

Back
Top Bottom