Loud crash sound when changing scenes

Thanks for your detailed response! OK... So to be clear, in AxeEditIII there is a BYPASS MODE which can be set to THRU or MUTE. This is the parameter I was trying to set which I believe ended up stored in my AMP CHANNEL and remained in this state whenever I would call up that channel. Does that sound right?

Correct.

Then, there is a BYPASS BUTTON that can be "engaged or bypassed" which is the same as double clicking on the amp block icon to bypass the block. This is what I think you and TahoeBrian were referring to.

Correct.

You cant use the BYPASS BUTTON to bypass an amp in parallel because when you bypass a block it passes the unprocessed clean signal.

Not correct. Setting BYPASS MODE to MUTE takes care of that.

Read this: http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Presets#Series_and_parallel_routing

So do you agree I need a mixer? Or am I still misunderstanding the situation?

Nope and Yes. :)

My problem with use the BYPASS MODE parameter in AxeEdit is that it definitely changes in a previous scene when I edit it later in a different scene. I attempted this many times trying to figure out what was going on - starting by setting the BYPASS MODE to THRU or MUTE for the 1 amp block I wanted muted in each of my scenes. I would work my way through each scene, then go back to check things and they were always screwed up when I returned and checked previous scenes - thus my conclusion that my subsequent settings of CHANNELS in SCENES were changing my previous settings of CHANNELS.

Yes, a parameter value in a channel of a block stays the same in that channel, regardless of the scene.
If you want to change the value, you have to use another channel of the block.

OK - here is the simplest formulation of my understanding of scenes and channels. Let's say I only want to use 1 channel of an amp block for each of 8 scenes. If I set up scene 1 channel A with high gain, then try to use the channel A in scene 2 with low gain - when I change the gain of channel A in scene 2, it also changes the gain of channel A in scene 1. (I just verified this by empirical testing...) So when I changed the BYPASS MODE in my channel A in a subsequent scene, it also changed the BYPASS MODE in previous occurrences.

Exactly, that's how it works. Scenes basically only allow turning blocks on and off, and switching blocks between ABCD. If you want to change parameters from scene to scene, you need to use another channel of the block in that scene. Or: use a Scene Controller for a single specific parameter.

Thanks again Yek! You are an asset to our community!

When you responded
"You cant use the BYPASS BUTTON to bypass an amp in parallel because when you bypass a block it passes the unprocessed clean signal.
Not correct. Setting BYPASS MODE to MUTE takes care of that.

I was talking about the BYPASS BUTTON which does not have the option to mute - only engaged or pass through. So that is why you cant use the BYPASS BUTTON to bypass an amp block because it still passes signal (which was why it works in series, but of course there is the cannon shot problem when changing presets if amp blocks are placed in series)

The BYPASS button bypasses or engages the entire block.

The BYPASS MODE parameter determines what happens with the signal when the block is bypassed.

THRU means that the signal passes through as if it were a "true bypass" pedal. You don't want this with parallel Amp blocks.
MUTE means that the signal won't pass through.​

So after you've set BYPASS MODE to MUTE, you'll notice that using the BYPASS button will no longer pass signal through.

Wondering. Could Axe-Edit and the firmware just not allow it?

Or is the ability left there for rare cases certain configs...are acceptable?

If not seems like a simple check to add in the code to avoid users doing it.

Wondering. Could Axe-Edit and the firmware just not allow it?

Or is the ability left there for rare cases certain configs...are acceptable?

If not seems like a simple check to add in the code to avoid users doing it.
Some use the Amp blocks as a “drive pedal” so the Thru mode would be needed.

In general, it is logical to not run Amp blocks in series as no one does that with real amps. It will lead to a thread like this occasionally, but overall isn’t a big issue. Learning happens at some point, and the lesson will be taught as it was here.

I personally wouldn’t want the Axe to force things like that. Once it starts making decisions like that, what’s the next thing people will request that it won’t allow? To me, the Axe series are “advanced devices.” They’re easy to use, but I wouldn’t call it beginner gear by any means. With that, it helps to have some knowledge about guitar gear. The forum can help fill those gaps as it has here.

I completely agree with both of the last posts: How about a middle ground solution where AxeEdit would allow things like this, but put up a little red flag with an educational note to the user?

Back
Top Bottom