Bug? Loud audio "pop" when turning unit on or off

stink

Experienced
First of all, I’ve been an AxeFx Ultra owner for over 2.5 years. Now I’m happy to announce I’ve officially become an AxeFx II owner. As amazing as the Ultra sounds, the AxeFx II is an enormous improvement. The depth, clarity, bloom, and resolution are truly amazing! Not to mention the lushness of the IR’s, they seem to get better and better. I’m firmly a believer the IR’s are THE key to the ultimate tone!

Which brings me to an issue I seem to have which is not so amazing; my set-up consists of the following:
Guitar – cord – AxeFx II – 2 Verve 8ma’s – all plugged into a Furman power conditioner.

The problem is when I turn the unit on (either from the Furman or turn on the AxeFx II after power is established - monitors already on at this point), a very loud audio spike is cranked through my Verve’s (even if the volume on the AxeFx II is “0”) and it's not a good one either! The same occurs when turning the AxeFx II off. I know the simple solution would be to turn on the monitors AFTER I power up the Axe and turn them off before shutting down the Axe but I’ve never had that problem with the old Ultra. And by the way, powering on the Furman turns on the AxeFx II and the pair of Verve 8ma’s simultaneously.

Anyone else experience this issue?

Let's also mention, this is good practice for ALL audio equipment. Active speakers or power amps should ALWAYS be powered on last. It doesn't matter if your last unit made a pop or not, you were still doing it in a way that is not recommended for audio equipment.

Would you turn your PA power amps or active speakers on before your mixer?

**edit** This procedure should be reversed when powering OFF the equipment. Active speakers and power amps should be powered *OFF* first.

Never happened with my old one - ever.

This may be true, the Ultra may have a soft start PSU in it, never the less it’s a general rule that the power amp be the last to be turned on and the first to be turned off, due to avoiding such power surges to the speakers. My Axe also does this just like my mixer which is also in the signal chain. Best practice is to stick with the general rule of switching components on and off in an amplified signal chain.

OK, thanks for the link BammBamm, I always did this in the past but noticed my Ultra didn't have the issue. Thanks for the replies everyone.

There was a thread a few months ago after one of the firmwares were released. This is normal and the sequence of turning on and off things are mentioned above. Speakers are the last ones on and the first ones off. If using tube amps to power the speakers make sure the power completely drain before turning off the Axe. I usually turn off the amp power (keeping the standby on) and play a few chords until the sound is completely gone. Then it is safe to turn off the Axe.

The first time I heard that pop, it freaked me out.

Another option is to replace the Furman with a conditioner that has built-in sequential power up and down. Carvin makes one, Furman probably does, too.

That way it's always good without having to think about it.

TT

P.S. My Ultra definitely did the pop thing, and I don't mean Milli Vanilli.

Back
Top Bottom