Lost Sound on Input 1?

OmegaZero

Inspired
I was playing a bit this afternoon, then I decided to update from 7.01 to 8.0 while I was on a phone call (since I couldn't play then anyway). Hung up the phone a little while later, rebooted the Axe-Fx to finish the upgrade process, picked my guitar back up, and... no sound. After about 30 minutes of troubleshooting it seems the issue might be something related to input 1, and possibly in software (maybe not hardware). All the other inputs and outputs work normally best I can tell. Also, I get the expected pop noises and meter blips when plugging in to/out of Input 1. There's nothing after that though - no sound, no meters, nothing registering on the input 1 block noise gate gain meter, nada. I've tried multiple guitars and multiple cables as standard process, though I don't know how those could have gone bad. I'm testing with a blank patch with just input1->output1, gate off, etc. I've reset system parameters, rebooted, removed power and rebooted, unplugged everything but the input cable I'm testing with and rebooted. Though I know it's a somewhat foolish exercise I even reinstalled 7.01, tested, reset parameters, tested, reinstalled 8.0, tested, reset and tested again (this was also suggested by Fractal support). I don't see anything in settings that's off. Has anyone seen something like this before? Any ideas?

I have opened a support ticket with Fractal, and I will pursue support there as well. This is a large and knowledgeable community though, and at the moment this seems like a software / settings issue, so I thought I would ask around here for ideas as well...

Not sure if you tried this, did you try plugging into the Rear Input 1 Jack in the back of the Axe FX III ?

Yeah, all the other inputs and outputs worked fine.

On the advice of support, I went searching inside the box for loose connections. I already had everything disconnected other than a single cable to Input 1, so disconnecting the unit was easy enough. Took the Axe-Fx out of the rack and opened it up, but didn't find anything obviously out of place. None of the connectors were loose to the touch, etc. I reseated the ribbon cables for good measure, put the top back on, and tested again with the same guitar, same cable plugged into input 1, same preset, etc. All the same as before, but now it works. I haven't physically touched anything other than a volume knob on the Axe-Fx in weeks, so I'm not sure how something could have changed or gotten loose. Also as I mentioned, I had already been playing with no issues before I kicked off the update. Maybe I installed the firmware too hard? (Joke).

Anyway, Fractal Support was on the ball, responsive, and helpful (Thanks Mark!). I'd feel a little better if I had some idea what actually happened, but whatever. I'm going to go play guitar now. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom