Lost of dynamic with the AXE in effect loop of my amp

slashy

Inspired
Hello,
I use the AXE FX2 in my effect loop of my amp (Caroll Ann OD-3R) and i find there is a lost of dynamic.
I prefer my amp without the AXE !!
The settings seems correct (Pad +18 db as Cliff said in the notice).
So i don't understand why ?
Is anybody has the same problem ? and a solution ! ;)

You should NOT use Boost/Pad in this configuration. You're probably clipping the outputs (severely).

Hello,
I use the AXE FX2 in my effect loop of my amp (Caroll Ann OD-3R) and i find there is a lost of dynamic.
I prefer my amp without the AXE !!
The settings seems correct (Pad +18 db as Cliff said in the notice).
So i don't understand why ?
Is anybody has the same problem ? and a solution ! ;)

When using the Axe-Fx II as an external effects-only device in the effects loop of an amp, you probably want it to send and receive LINE level signals. So use the input(s) at the rear (either Input 1 or 2).

Make sure to set Input 1 Select to Rear in I/O.

Set the Input Level (Input 1 or 2) in I/O for an optimal signal-to-noise ratio.

Set Output Mode in I/O to one of the mono modes.

Use the front panel output knob (Output 1 or 2) to get the required output level.

Use Boost/Pad only when placing the Axe-Fx in front of the amp, not when using it in the effects loop.

To make a signal go through the Axe-Fx, connect the grid's input to output using shunts. Replace the shunts with the effect blocks you need. Do not add Amp blocks or cabinet blocks.

^ You want unity gain in this setup right? I presume you'd want it so the signal is the same level coming out of the Axe back to FX return as going in from the amp's FX send.

I also assume you want your Input to be "tickling the red"? Is it best to reach this level by adjusting the signal on the amp rather than the Input Level or does it not really matter?

^ You want unity gain in this setup right? I presume you'd want it so the signal is the same level coming out of the Axe back to FX return as going in from the amp's FX send.

It's not absolutely necessary since that amp is an MV amp. The Output Level knob becomes a second MV. But, yes, if you want unity gain set Output 1 Level knob to maximum.

I prefer to keep the Axe at unity gain and just control the amp's volume on the amp itself. Slightly easier workflow for me as I can just set and forget the Axe.

thank you very much for yours reply, i try this afternoon !
effectively, i put the Boost/Pad at +18db !
Do You think i must put the level of my Send (of my OD-3R) high until that the Clip in the Input become just Red sometimes, or must i lowered the Send of my Amp, set the input level of the AXE FX2 ?
Is it better to have the Gain set output 1 level knob high ?
i search the more transparent setting for my amp .

I also assume you want your Input to be "tickling the red"? Is it best to reach this level by adjusting the signal on the amp rather than the Input Level or does it not really matter?

If i do that, i must set the Send of my amp at the maximum.
And i'm little surprise because i don't arrive at the Red Clip sometimes !!!
So perhaps a combination of two (The send of amp and the input level of Axe) ?

That was precisely what I was asking :)

I use this set up with my Mark V which I think works slightly differently to your amp. I set the balance between the channels via the Masters to taste (which are before the FX Loop), use the FX send to get the required level into my Axe (tickling the red), and just leave the Input at 50%.

Then I whack the Axe's Output knob up to full for unity gain and control the amp's overall volume with the Mark V's own Output Knob.

For your amp I would expect the Master Volume knobs are post FX-Loop in which case you use the Level knob on the back to set the level into the Axe, set the Axe's output knob at full and use the Master Volume as normal.

Back
Top Bottom