"lost notes" in chord voicings on Axe II

Again, thanks for the continuing suggestions.

Fiddling with the EQ creates a bit of a moving target -- I feel as though I have a pretty good PEQ block going on right now. Adding "air" increases the bit but at the expense of warmth; the beef reduces the clarity. The Qs I am using are a little less narrow -- more like 1.3 so I could try to tweak those a bit and see what happens.

Swapping out the cabs sounds great tonally but the clarity goes the window -- it's like the A string isn't there at all.

On the plus side, in response to Symphx's Loomis comment above I was able to dial in a pretty good DHIADW tone in about ten minutes' time from some notes that Sneap had posted. The Trixaxis is a bit more elusive, probably due to the numerous factors that Nikki referenced above (unusual location of gain stages, dynamic voice, synergies with the power amp, etc.)

I do feel like I am mostly over the hump on this one. This has been a very interesting conversation and I genuinely appreciate the vast majority of the comments and assistance. I'm going to step away for two days and see if fresh ears help; going to see if my guitar tech (who does circuit design for a living) has any ideas as well.

I may post final results if they differ materially from the above.

Have a good weekend, all!

I had a go at this today. I used the On the Backs Of Angels stems to see how my tone fit in the mix compared to JP. I'm pretty happy with the results. Plus, playing along with the original stems is a ton of fun. I can turn down those goofy keyboard parts and crank up the drums and guitar!

I think it has tons of "clarity", punch, balls. Not exactly the same as JP's tone but.. 1. I don't have his guitar 2. I don't have his studio and engineer 3. I'm not JP.

Patch is attached.

Attachments

• JP Boogie.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 84
sounds great adam!

Swapping out the cabs sounds great tonally but the clarity goes the window -- it's like the A string isn't there at all.

imo, if using the different cabs give you a better tone, then you should stick with them and work on the clarity elsewhere. you'll go round in circles if you're trying to compensate for a cab that just isn't right. people forget that the cab and mic choice massively affect tone and go off tweaking advanced amp parameters and peq's to try and get what they want, when simply changing the cab can be much more effective. just my opinion...

adam I fiddled with yers just a bit, maybe too bassy now , it changes from my in room speakers to recording!

random chunky chord noodling

Last edited:
I had a go at this today.

I think it has tons of "clarity", punch, balls. Not exactly the same as JP's tone but.. 1. I don't have his guitar 2. I don't have his studio and engineer 3. I'm not JP. Patch is attached.

This sounds f*****g great, Adam. Great, great tone.

I'll throw my two cents in the ring here for comparison. Here's a quick sample of my DT rhythm. I think it is damn close, and it sounds tighter somehow in the room when not recorded direct. It also feels killer under the fingers.

On the Backs of Angels Rhythm

Last edited:
I'll throw my two cents in the ring here for comparison. Here's a quick sample of my DT rhythm. I think it is damn close, and it sounds tighter somehow in the room when not recorded direct. It also feels killer under the fingers.

On the Backs of Angels Rhythm

sounds promising hard to hear that chunky yet clear bass he has, ya got your patch, Id like to throw it in my axe setup! thanks

Again, thanks for the continuing suggestions.

Fiddling with the EQ creates a bit of a moving target -- I feel as though I have a pretty good PEQ block going on right now. Adding "air" increases the bit but at the expense of warmth; the beef reduces the clarity. The Qs I am using are a little less narrow -- more like 1.3 so I could try to tweak those a bit and see what happens.

On the plus side, in response to Symphx's Loomis comment above I was able to dial in a pretty good DHIADW tone in about ten minutes' time from some notes that Sneap had posted. The Trixaxis is a bit more elusive, probably due to the numerous factors that Nikki referenced above (unusual location of gain stages, dynamic voice, synergies with the power amp, etc.)

I do feel like I am mostly over the hump on this one. This has been a very interesting conversation and I genuinely appreciate the vast majority of the comments and assistance. I'm going to step away for two days and see if fresh ears help; going to see if my guitar tech (who does circuit design for a living) has any ideas as well.

I may post final results if they differ materially from the above.

Have a good weekend, all!

Hi, I think your Petrucci patch sounded VERY good! Any updates on your quest ?

I am experiencing a similar problem. I actually came across this post while searching for info. on palm-muting "ducking" the noise floor, or other notes that are ringing. I noticed this when I first got the AxeFx and assumed that I didn't know how to tweak it, but even using 1 of 5 different guitars and using presets and moderate gain/bass settings, I am hearing some weirdness. When I get back to my studio I'll record what I'm talking about and post the audio and preset file.

View attachment Marshall AFD100.syx

This is the preset file that I used for the following:

Notice how the noise floor (hiss and hum) sounds like it's getting compressed or ducked when the low note is played and also how the high note disappears and then fades back in when the palm-muted note is hit. It almost sounds like there is a noise suppressor turned on, but I turned the gate off and don't have anything else inline.

Again, I'm not sure if this is something that is set wrong on the unit (it happens with many other presets) or if this is just the way it is. I've never experienced this drastic effect on a real amp, even with loads more low end and higher gain setups.

Any insight would be highly appreciated!

C.

Last edited:
Could it be your recording setup? Aka: could it be a noise gate kicking in on Garageband or something?

How are you monitoring/recording?

Could it be your recording setup? Aka: could it be a noise gate kicking in on Garageband or something?

How are you monitoring/recording?

I doubt it. It's a ProTools HD system that I've recorded and mixed hundreds of songs on. Because the AxeFx can't do anything other than 48K digitally, I use the XLR outputs patched directly into a Digidesign 192 through a patch bay . I've normalized the audio here so you can here the effect... but the input level on ProTools is -16, so not even close to peaking anything. Every other piece of gear in my studio works perfectly hooked up the exact same way... it also sounds the same with headphones plugged into the AxeFx.

Peculiar release on that sound....like a compressor with too short attack/release time. Stuttering.

Yeah, that's what I thought :) Trying desperately to figure out why it's happening and hoping I can get rid of it without having to only use low-gain or sounds with no low-end.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom