Implemented Looper

trancegodz

Fractal Fanatic
I wish the half speed function that we had in the Axe FXII be added to the Axe FXIII.

I also wish there was a way to easily erase all the sound in the looper block. Maybe hold the record button for 2 seconds to completely clear the audio out of the looper.

We don't already have the code. The looper was rewritten from scratch. I'll add it to the wishlist but there are higher priorities at this time.

+1 for the half speed function and a clear audio function for the looper in the Axe FXIII when you get the time.

Last edited:
you're crossing the streams between the 2 and the 3 - which hardware are you talking about?

can you explain a bit how erasing the looper block would benefit you?

I wish there was a way to easily erase all the audio in the looper block. Maybe hold the record button for 2 seconds to completely clear the audio out of the looper if you didn't want to waste a switch. That's how some other loopers work. Actually I don't care how it is done, if there was a dedicated function to clear the looper you could assign it to whatever foot switch you wanted. It is too easy to accidentally engage the looper playback. I've accidentally done it several times already. If there is always something recorded in the looper block you might be in for an unwanted surprise.

I also wish the half speed function that we had in the Axe FXII be added to the Axe FXIII.

With my Axe FX II, I created a special "clear loop" button on my RJM Mastermind that, when tapped would record for a split second, then stop, thereby clearing the loop. This worked great, but is only possible with an advanced controller that will let you send multiple actions in sequence when doing one button press. So yes, it would make much more sense if there was a built in clear loop function. And while, we're add it, put back the metronome. I always used that when creating loops.

I would imagine/hope that eventually the functionality of the looper will get to where it was on the AxeII and even more eventually surpass it, but I would imagine that is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down the list in terms of priorities.

Austin

For me an erase button would benefit the looper if we merge the record and the play button, this is how it works on many looper out there :
You have one PlayRec button :
First push it records
second push it plays,
third push it stops,
fourth it plays, fifth it stop, play, stop, play, stop etc...
When you press the erase button, the PlayRec button goes back to first step, and you can record a new loop.

This is better for live use because it allows you to have only one button to focus to rec/play/stop. And you cannot erase the loop by mistake by pressing the rec button instead of play (which happened quite a lot to me).
You can put the erase button anywhere on your controller, it doesn't have to be in the first row unlike the play, rec button for easier access, so you cannot just hit it by mistake.

I hope this make sense.

Double tap record?

That works with the Axe FXII, but not the Axe FXIII. If you did a quick double tap on the Axe FXII with your volume turned down it cleared the audio except for the shot time it took you to double tap the record switch. This does not work on the Axe FXIII, Record now toggles between overdub on or off.
"Record – If the looper is stopped and you press Record, recording begins. If the looper is playing, Record toggles overdub on or off."

If the audio in the Axe FXIII could be erased by double tapping record that would be great to me.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
The Looper in the Axe FXIII has these controls:

Record – If the looper is stopped and you press Record, recording begins. If the looper is playing, Record toggles overdub on or off.

Play – This starts and stops playback. If the looper is recording or overdubbing when you press Play, recording or overdubbing stops and playback continues.

Undo – This undoes the last pass of recording or overdubbing.

Once – While the looper is playing back, pressing Once causes it to stop automatically when it reaches the end of the loop. If playback is stopped, Once starts playback from the beginning, plays through to the end, and then stops. Pressing Once while in the middle of a one-shot playback instantly starts the loop, re-triggering play like a “phrase sampler”. If you press Once while recording, this prevents playback from beginning automatically when you nish recording; instead the looper stops.

Reverse – This toggles the direction of playback.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
The Axe FXII, Axe FXIIXL, Axe FXIIXL+, FX8, and AX8 all had these same controls for the Looper which we are used to:
Looper Record . . . . . . . . 28
Looper Play . . . . . . . . . .29
Looper Once . . . . . . . . . 30
Looper Dub . . . . . . . . . . 31
Looper Rev. . . . . . . . . . . 32
Looper Bypass . . . . . . . . 33
Looper Half . . . . . . . . . 120
Looper Undo. . . . . . . . .121
Metronome ON/OFF . . . 122

Many of us own several of the above Fractal Audio products, and those of us who used the Looper are use to having these functions.
My main wish for the Looper is simply to add the Looper Half function to the Axe FXIII. It would also be nice to be able to easily clear the audio out of the Looper, (maybe by double tapping record).

I wish the half speed function that we had in the Axe FXII's to be added to the Axe FXIII.

Right now I have to use my Axe FXII XL+ live for ambient looping gigs instead of the Axe FXIII, because the Axe FXIII still does not have the half speed function that has been in every Fractal Audio product to date.

I also wish there was a way to easily erase all the sound in the looper block. Maybe hold the record button for 2 seconds to completely clear the audio out of the looper.

Last edited:
I really wish we had the Auto-Play on/off setting per block instance, like the II had.
With my II, I would record the part I would solo over later, e.g. the chorus, then when solo comes later, just step on Play. This worked fairly well because we always played to click-track. There was only 1 song where I needed Auto-Play on, otherwise it would always be off.

I really wish we had the Auto-Play on/off setting per block instance, like the II had.
With my II, I would record the part I would solo over later, e.g. the chorus, then when solo comes later, just step on Play. This worked fairly well because we always played to click-track. There was only 1 song where I needed Auto-Play on, otherwise it would always be off.
Immediate play you mean?

You can record and then stop recording on the Axe3 by pressing ONCE at the end of the loop. Then press Play later to bring up that loop.

Sorry @chris, doesn't seem to work. Once is not stopping the recording for me. Would be an acceptable solution for me though.

The manual says so too. But it's not stopping the recording for me...

Okay, re-reading ... I think I need to hit Once while recording, and then hit Record again at the end. Trying that now...

If you press Once while recording, this prevents playback from beginning automatically when you finish recording; instead the looper stops.

Yep, that did it.

So, hit Record to start the loop, then at any time hit Once. At the end of the loop hit Record again. The loop does not start playing immediately, but is available with Play and Once later on.

Not what I expected, but an acceptable replacement of the functionality of the II looper. Thanks again @chris!

Back
Top Bottom