Wish Looper Wishes

Sleestak

Power User
I use the looper quite bit in one of my bands, and here is my list of wishes for functional enhancements:
  1. I want to enable the metronome in association with recording a loop. Yes, I know people have wished for metronome on / off control in other threads. In the context of the looper, it's pretty important to have it available prior to (and maybe even during) the loop recording. Naturally, this should be routable to any of the outputs. Once the song (or loop) is underway, the metronome should be defeatble. The metronome and looper are intrinsically related, and there should be a simple way for users to program when / if the metronome is audible.
  2. The looper record length function should be programmable, so that you can set up a 2 or 4 bar (or whatever) loop record length, matched to the tempo. When you hit RECORD, the loop should automatically record the number of bars, then switch over to playback. This would ensure that my loops are always the correct length, and remain in sync with the playback tempo.
  3. You should be able to "arm" the record function, have four beats of countdown, then the looper auto-records for the selected number of bars, and then switches to playback. This, along with #2 and #1, would be a foolproof looping experience.
  4. I have seen some requests for saving a pre-recorded audio loop (basically a sampler function) for triggered playback. I'll echo that request here. I understand that storing audio is perhaps weird use of the memory in the unit, but it would make tricky loops easier. You could get it right once, and then just recall it to build on it.
  5. I would like to have a programmable function that dumps the content of the looper. This would ensure that when I switch to another preset with the looper, it doesn't already have something in the buffer. It's surprised me a few times when I've moved to a song with the looper active, and playback of the previous loop starts. Yes, user error, and can be avoided, but it would be great if the AxeFX III could accept an "erase stored loop" command as a parameter.

Cliff has been on fire adding functionality, it would be awesome if the Looper commands were opened up to modifiers like the legacy products. I LOVE how Moke built presets that switched the looper to record, play and stop with scene changes...I'm not coordinated enough when playing live to do this manually with a looper page. I also agree with clearing looper content when switching scenes...it's caught me by surprise as well.

CLEARING! could the looper be set to (clear loop, start record, or retain loop etc. ) on scene change.

I think the importance of getting boss functionality in the looper helps the guitarist tremendously.
1) we put the looper in front of effects to tweak
2) we put the looper at the end to build loops
3) it is the correct element to incorporate into a practice regimen
4) it is completely integrated, saving loads of precious time

I use the looper quite bit in one of my bands, and here is my list of wishes for functional enhancements:
  1. I want to enable the metronome in association with recording a loop. Yes, I know people have wished for metronome on / off control in other threads. In the context of the looper, it's pretty important to have it available prior to (and maybe even during) the loop recording. Naturally, this should be routable to any of the outputs. Once the song (or loop) is underway, the metronome should be defeatble. The metronome and looper are intrinsically related, and there should be a simple way for users to program when / if the metronome is audible.
  2. The looper record length function should be programmable, so that you can set up a 2 or 4 bar (or whatever) loop record length, matched to the tempo. When you hit RECORD, the loop should automatically record the number of bars, then switch over to playback. This would ensure that my loops are always the correct length, and remain in sync with the playback tempo.
  3. You should be able to "arm" the record function, have four beats of countdown, then the looper auto-records for the selected number of bars, and then switches to playback. This, along with #2 and #1, would be a foolproof looping experience.
  4. I have seen some requests for saving a pre-recorded audio loop (basically a sampler function) for triggered playback. I'll echo that request here. I understand that storing audio is perhaps weird use of the memory in the unit, but it would make tricky loops easier. You could get it right once, and then just recall it to build on it.
  5. I would like to have a programmable function that dumps the content of the looper. This would ensure that when I switch to another preset with the looper, it doesn't already have something in the buffer. It's surprised me a few times when I've moved to a song with the looper active, and playback of the previous loop starts. Yes, user error, and can be avoided, but it would be great if the AxeFX III could accept an "erase stored loop" command as a parameter.
agreed wholeheartedly.

There are a lot of functions the looper could include. Looping has been around since Les Paul in the 50's really - he used multi track live recording but still a form of looping. I think there is a lot of room for the looping feature to be advanced here. And while folks would say it is DSP that is causing to not happen, it is more of a mindset that it is not necessary more than anything else. Tiny little TC loopers hold a lot - I toured with one for years and never ever ran out of loop time - ever. Let me say it again lol.

I think much of the hang up here is the mindset of where looping is at and who actually uses it as a tool. When I say who, I mean not the weekend, I like to play guitar folks. It comes down to a bigger source asking for it. It is not going to be John Pertrucci or John Mayer who drive this home. Maybe the likes of Guthrie Govan who is one of the only modern day players who actually utilizes looping all the time can get it done. Maybe John Scofield - if he used the AXE - lol.

But my guess is, it is not enough. I never used the AF looper and always used an external because of skipping from preset to preset, etc. That has greatly improved for sure. And I do utilize it now. But as a working player who constantly needs looping and as a teacher who see students day in and day out that can't keep time and have no idea in this day and age how to use a looper, can't see song forms and don't know how to improvise - it would be nice to have better features. It should be midi and it should have storage options. There are a lot of "desires" here. Will they happen - well who knows. Keep asking.

I love having a bunch of great effects - lots of reverbs, delays, cabs on end. It is awesome but not always as practical at the expense of having a really useful tool as a looper. I had and still have now that the Fm9 is out high hopes.

+1
But I doubt all of these will be implemented. One thing I know is that the axe operates with beatclock. This means the unit has no way of knowing what timesignature is in use. It knows the pulse and can do the maths for what is an 8th note and what is a 4th note and so on. But not the signature.

One way to do all of the above involves a daw or plugin host on a computer. But it requires some setup and that the click is sendt from somewhere else than the axe.

There are several other solutions of course, but I find it easier with a laptop running something like Ableton or gig performer. (And similar)

On the other hand, You could make the metronome with the sequencer and a synth block. Not sure if you could use a controll switch to make a button do all tasks needed. But possible???

CS 1 = loopstart, sequencer run etc?

On my way to a gig right now, so can't really check.

On the other hand, You could make the metronome with the sequencer and a synth block. Not sure if you could use a controll switch to make a button do all tasks needed. But possible???

CS 1 = loopstart, sequencer run etc?

On my way to a gig right now, so can't really check.
I mean we have a metronome within the device. You can loop to a click and have that quantize. TC has a midi looper that used for a long time. I just used SD drummer and work great.

Yes, I am aware of the metronome. But it runs on beat clock.

The Axe FX does not understand beats and bars. I was just suggesting a type of workaround. 🙂 But count me in on the Pluss one side. 🤞

EDIT: and it's only available on out 1 and out 2.
External solutions would be a go to for me in this case. Unless the update comes. But I would not hold my breath 😉

Back
Top Bottom