Looper time in 6.0 only 15 seconds

klaushouz

Experienced
Manual...Looper Advanced Controls
MODE – Selects the Looper mode, determining mono/stereo, looper length, and undo. Whenever you
change the mode, the looper memory will be entirely cleared.
MONO – Recording and playback are in mono. Maximum loop length is 60 seconds. Undo is not possible.
STEREO – Recording and playback are in stereo. Maximum loop length is 30 seconds. Undo is not possible.
MONO UNDO – Recording and playback are in mono. Maximum loop length is 30 seconds. Undo works.
STEREO UNDO – Recording and playback are in mono. Maximum loop length is 60 seconds. Undo works.
Are these correct? Seems like the STEREO UNDO should be 30 sec instead of 60 sec. Either way , on all these settings I am only getting 15 seconds for the looper. Any Ideas why?

Are these correct? Seems like the STEREO UNDO should be 30 sec instead of 60 sec. Either way , on all these settings I am only getting 15 seconds for the looper. Any Ideas why?

I'm fairly certain Adam said the undo function by itself would eat up 50% of the current amount of time allotted. Stereo would again notch that time down by 50% as well.

So Mono + Undo = 30 seconds.

Mono to Stereo = 30 seconds

Mono + Undo + Stereo = 15 seconds.

Correct me if I'm wrong here??

Maybe there could be an option to make the loops 24KHz instead of 48 and double the loop time?

Maybe there could be an option to make the loops 24KHz instead of 48 and double the loop time?

Digitally speaking, that would only able process signals no greater than 12khz, right in the middle of the audible frequency spectrum.

Digitally speaking, that would only able process signals no greater than 12khz, right in the middle of the audible frequency spectrum.

Yup. But your guitar amp output generally never reaches 12K, so as an option for a guitar looper, it makes a lot of sense.

If you turn on the half speed button before you start recording (and leave it on during playback) that's basically what you'd be doing. You will lose high-end response but you'll gain recording time.

I think that is a bit misleading. While the audible frequency spectrum is usually taken to be 20 Hz to 20 kHz, 12 kHz is between the two highest octave centers (31, 62, 125, 250, 500, 1000, 2000, 4000, 8000, 16000), so it is at the upper range in terms of octaves.

Plus, while I'm sure everyone here has exceptional hearing, the ability to hear high frequencies declines with age, starting at about 8 years old. Add in the facts that musicians as a group have accelerated high frequency hearing loss and heavy iPod usage has accelerated HF loss for a generation, and 12 kHz is close to the upper limit of a large portion of the public that makes or listens to music.

IOW, 12kHz is plenty for most purposes.

Technically, you're losing a bit more than just frequencies above 12khz. This is because when down-sampling we have to add a cut-off filter to avoid aliasing.

However, I do agree with you that for many purposes 24khz sample rate will be sufficient. And I'd recommend using the half-speed switch to get the increased recording time in those cases.

Doh! :lol I finally figured out why my loop time wasn't changing... Axe Edit looper controls glitched and were not updating the Axe II. All is as it should be. Thanks Adam

However, I do agree with you that for many purposes 24khz sample rate will be sufficient. And I'd recommend using the half-speed switch to get the increased recording time in those cases.

I'm puzzled right now and not near my Axe II to try it... but, does that mean with half-speed, mono and "no undo" there's 120 sec of recording time?

Back
Top Bottom