• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Wish Looper threshold starts and STOPS recording

iaresee

Formalizing a wish I mused about in another thread. I would like to be able to use the threshold setting in the looper block to both start and stop recording (and begin playback). Right now it just starts the recording.

I can kind of get what I want by riding the play button: have the threshold start the recording, hit play to start playback, rollback on guitar and then hit record to get ready to do it all over again. But it's a tap dance to be certain.

Would be cool if going above the threshold started recording and falling below (with maybe an adjustable amount of time that it needs to be below the threshold) starts playback. That would let you do so pretty amazing call-and-answer stuff without having to touch a pedal in the looper block.

mr_fender

Fractal Fanatic
You can use the Quantize and Record Beats parameters to specify a loop length. Threshold can start the recording and it will then continue for the specified number of beats and then switch over to playback automatically.

iaresee

You can use the Quantize and Record Beats parameters to specify a loop length. Threshold can start the recording and it will then continue for the specified number of beats and then switch over to playback automatically.
Not quite what I want, but an interesting hack nonetheless. I don't want to have it stop after a predefined number of beats, but after I let the signal fall below a certain threshold -- this would allow for variable-length recording every time without the need to count beats or be precise the tempo settings during a performance. Also, I'd like to not have to re-arm the recording mode -- with the record beats approach you have to re-arm after playback starts.

I want to be able to play the looper by varying my signal. Hands on guitar, mind on performance.

iaresee

Hmm. Interesting idea. Sort of like an envelope controlled sampler.
Pretty much!

The "when to stop recording" control probably needs both a threshold value and a milliseconds-below-threshold setting. So you can have a little gap in your playing and not have it start playback until the detected gap is below the threshold for X milliseconds.

Man, I think this would be the bee knees!

ivanhoe

Pretty much!

The "when to stop recording" control probably needs both a threshold value and a milliseconds-below-threshold setting. So you can have a little gap in your playing and not have it start playback until the detected gap is below the threshold for X milliseconds.

Man, I think this would be the bee knees!
The issue I would see with that, would be that your loop could not sound continuous, there would be X milliseconds of silence in between each loop (since it would do the same thing at the end) creating an audible separation in each cycle.

iaresee

The issue I would see with that, would be that your loop could not sound continuous, there would be X milliseconds of silence in between each loop (since it would do the same thing at the end) creating an audible separation in each cycle.
That's fine. As long as the detection gap is adjustable you can dial it in to work.

dawesy1986

Sorry to dig up an old thread.

Was thinking of doing something similar using the ADSR. Forgot the record function can't be assigned to controllers.

Would be great for glitching and stuttering effects.

Maybe a wishlist item.

lauke-lux

Power User
Excellent suggestion; you solved me a problem.

Top Bottom