Looper Tempo Sync with Logic

GtarGreg

Inspired
Can someone describe how to configure Logic and the AX8 so that the tap tempo (and looper tempo) sync?

Your question isn't quite clear.

The Tap tempo controls the tempo on the AX8. The Looper and other time based effects can be tied to the tempo. The Looper will be if Quantize is enabled. Other things like Delay will be tied of their Tempo setting is set to a note value (such as dotted 8th).

What does Logic have to do with it? Maybe instead of "tap tempo" you just mean "tempo"? And you want the AX8 to stay synced with the tempo set in Logic?

In that case, you would need Logic to send midi beat clock to the AX8.

I'm an Axe Fx III (and previously II) owner, so I don't know if the AX8 supports midi beat clock, nor do I know if it receives midi over USB.

Assuming the answer to both is YES, then you need to make Logic send midi beat clock and make sure it's sending on the midi channel the AX8 is set to.

Thanks Unix.

The manual is great and the instructions are pretty clear. Its the other half of the setup that im not able to easily get. Ive set up a Logic external midi track and so far and see how to do program changes, however, the clock is not syncing. The use case is to have delays and the looper sync to the Logic clock.

I don't use Logic either, but I don't think just sending an external midi clock is what your going to want, unless your doing program changes etc. You will want to look for some controls for sending clock sync with Logic being the master, allowing the AX8 to slave to the Logic tempo. Don't know if this is the default or you need to set it up that way, but the AX8 can't send midi clock, so it would have to work as the slave and follow the external tempo

With the Axe-Fx II (if I sync it to the tempo/clock in Live 10) using the tap tempo switch on my foot controller makes very weird things happen -- temporarily until the clock forces things back on track. I have to change CC mapping to have the Tap Tempo CC control the DAW (not the Axe). I don't know if you can do that in Logic Pro X.

With the Axe-Fx II (if I sync it to the tempo/clock in Live 10) using the tap tempo switch on my foot controller makes very weird things happen -- temporarily until the clock forces things back on track. I have to change CC mapping to have the Tap Tempo CC control the DAW (not the Axe). I don't know if you can do that in Logic Pro X.
I don't think the OP is intending to use tap tempo. He just wants to keep the AX8 in sync with the DAW.

I know this is an older thread, but I just set this up and it was pretty easy.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210198

To sync the MIDI clock in Logic to your Axe whatever, go to prefs -> MIDI -> sync tab -> Midi Sync Project Settings on the bottom
For destination add the Axe Fx and if you're using plug-ins also check PDC.

You do not need an External MIDI track to do this, only use an External MIDI track if you want to do changes to effects and such during the project as it plays.

You want the beat / MIDI clock to be sync'd all the time, not just at certain points in the project (ie turning the delay block on for a guitar solo and then off after).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 1.18.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 1.18.06 PM.png
    171.7 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom