Looper SysEx for Axe-FX II Problem

GM Arts

Fractal Fanatic
Can anyone help with Looper SysEx for Axe-FX II? (Axe-FX III works fine) - has been able to get sysex working for the looper on Axe-FX II?

The documented sysex messages don't work - I'm using the latest firmware: Ares v2.00

I notice that the looper controls (play, record, etc) don't work from Axe-Edit either, so maybe there's a firmware problem. Using looper CC messages works fine, but I need to be able to request looper modes as described in the documentation.

WIKI documentation is here: https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/...DI_LOOPER_STATUS_ENABLE.2C_MIDI_LOOPER_STATUS
and says in hex notation: F0 00 01 74 mm 23 dd cs F7
sets LOOPER STATUS MESSAGES where mm is Axe-FX model ID, dd is 0 to disable or 1 to enable looper status messages, cs is checksum.

The Axe-FX responds with F0 00 01 74 03 64 23 00 41 F7 which is effectively an error message, and of course no status reply.
I've tried sending every dd value from 00 to 7F, and on some occasions value 00 didn't return an error message, but I haven't been able to replicate it.

I'm totally confident with my checksum calculations, and I'm also fairly sure that 0x23 is the correct function ID because I've seen the Axe-FX respond with F0 00 01 74 03 23 00 7F 5A F7 when Axe-Edit is accessing the looper block.

Has anyone got this working?

Last edited:
I've found that this works by using the Axe-FX II MIDI ports - I still get an error reply first, but that is then followed by status sysex messages.

Connecting via MIDI over USB just replies with error messages from the Axe-FX II.

Back
Top Bottom