Looper Question: How are you facilitating your loops & spill

diggi

Inspired
I did a search for this, and could not find it. I am certain this has been asked before, but I was unable to locate an answer.

peace -

Joel

Re: Is there a "copy preset" (and paste) function in the Ultra?

Yes, when you save, just save to another location. hit save, choose location, hit save again.

Also, you can copy effects blocks from 1 to another. They have to exist in the effects your copying to/from and you can not copy instance 1 to instance 2 (i.e., chorus 1 to chorus 2 only chorus 1 to chorus 1). Hit the recall button and page over to the effects copy tab (I forget what it is exactly called).

Do you mean copy a complete preset, as is, into a different slot? If so, then yes of course you can do it... it's just not called "copy preset". Just hit the "Save" button, but use the dial to select a different preset number (and optionally change the name).

Man, duh. I need some coffee and mountain dew. Sorry for the (obviously) dumb question. I should be slapped.

Thanks for that!

Joel

There are no dumb questions... well, except perhaps "I just upgraded from 6.05 to 14.7, and man all my sound is gone, what gives?!??"
;-)

You know, many (or most?) of us have had at least one such event where we look for a complicated answer to a simple issue (mine was: no sound when I plugged my acoustic in input 2 in the rear, and of course I forgot to raise the input 2 level from its usual 0 position). That's what's great about this forum, someone will help you get the "duh" moment.

Well, I take nothing for granted when it comes to forums, and I very much appreciate your welcome, and replies.

Ready for Q 2? - Here goes:

I created a looper patch to solo over - and copied it to an adjacent preset (#33 and #34)

On the main loop preset, I have the looper set to "record" and "stack".
I have the secondary preset (which I want to lead over) set up so the looper is not set to record, play or stack - nothing.

After creating my loop (in the looper preset), I switch to the adjacent preset (which has an instance of the looper in the chain so the previously created loop will "spillover".

However, if I remove the record, play and stack options on the looper in the my lead preset, the main looper requires me to set it up to record and stack once again, then save the preset.

What might I be doing wrong? And, can someone who uses the looper function often, perhaps tell me how they've set their's up?

Many, many thanks friends,

Joel

Your post piqued my curiousity so I searched the Axe-FX Wiki and found this.

Here's how you can get around that limition:

"The Looper controls have dedicated MIDI CC assignments as well so you can control the Looper using a MIDI footpedal or other MIDI device. Access to the CC assignments is done in the I/O menu."

The CC assignments should be listed at the end of the manual.

Looper function can't be assigned per preset so you must be doing this in the I/O menu, which is global. If your footcontroller can't send different CCs for each preset you won't be able to use those same buttons for other CCs in the spillover preset without affecting the looper playback.

I was just experimenting with the looper function in a preset, and changing presets by moving the dial on the Axe Fx. I haven't even begun to figure out how to control the Looper with my old GCX foot controller.

If anyone is controlling the Looper with this same pedal and can maybe point me to a previous post on how to set that up, well - there might be a pizza in it for ya.

Peace

Joel

I don't use the looper much, but I do have one patch where I use it in a way that slightly differs from what you're doing. I'll describe it here, even though it doesn't specifically answer your question, because it might give you a different approach that might also be suitable for your use.

I use a single patch, not two (hence the "not answering your question" glitch). But it's a dual-signal chain patch. On one signal chain, I have a clean amp, chorus, the looper, and also a drive pedal in front for a little occasional grit. On the other signal chain, I have a lead tone (amp, delay, and an optional flanger). The two signal paths meet just in front of the reverb, and then out to the output. The main thing that makes this usable for me is I assigned an expression pedal to morph between the two signal chains (* see note). At heel-down, I get the clean sound, record my loop, stop recording, let it play by itself, then push the pedal, and at toe-down, I get to play lead on top. At any time, I can heel-down again, and record additional layers onto the loop.

It's actually a pretty bad patch - tuned way back in f/w v5.x. Since then, both the Axe f/w itself and my soundscaping capabilities have evolved a lot. So I find the patch sound like crap. However, it's really cool for capturing quick rhythm parts and then jammin leads on top. I use it a lot for practicing (where I can forgive the poor sounds), and it actually inspires quite a bit to use a looper that way.

Anyhow, consider doing it with a single patch, as described. Nevertheless, I am also interested in finding the answer to your real question, which is how to enable the looper so that spillover in two patches (with the looper, of course) works as required.

(* Note: unlike the "usual" setup for morphing between two signal chains, in this case I'm not fading the levels of the two amps in opposite directions. Instead, I assign the controller to (a) the looper's ingain parameter in a negative curve and (b) to the lead amp's output level in a positive curve.)

Hope this can be of some help. The Axe is filled with infinite potential, so sharing these thoughts can always be useful to someone.

Daniel

(EDIT: P.S. You might get more looper assistance if this thread was renamed from the original "copy & paste")

Change the title of this thread - I hope this helps inspire some additional comments?

Peace

Joel

I use the looper quite often for writing leads. The way I have had it set up, maybe a better way now?, is to put a delay 2 in each patch I want to loop over, and the delay in delay 2 is the looper. I have a LF Pro and assign each looper function needed a cc #. I use one for rec, play, stack, reverse. I bring up a patch to record the loop and get that going. I decide which preset I want to play over the loop with, and hit that preset button on the LF. Then just go at it. Every patch I have the looper in will take the loop already going, then it's just a balance of volume. Without a midi controller I'm not sure how I would be able to change patches with the loop still going. I have just gone up to 7.16 and starting to try the LF editor and my loopers aren't working properly so when I saw this, thought I would chime in. Must go fix my loopers.

Back
Top Bottom