Looper purchase advise please

Boomerang III.

Meant to provide more information but was doing this from my phone.

One poster has mentioned Looper's Delight. It is a good source of information but does not have current information on some products; for example, the Echoplex is out of production; the Boomerang reviewed on the site is a much older version; etc. LOOPER'S DELIGHT!

Also look at:

Looper Pedal Reviews - Looper Pedal Reviews & Demos
LooperMusic.com | Looper pedals, setup, inspiration, and reviews!

There are others; Google "looper pedal reviews" or similar.

The Boomerang was designed as a live performance tool for musicians who are always going to create the loops on the fly; hence no storage.

The Boss and Digitech units do allow you to create things and switch samples in and out. However, note that there is a serious limitation in the Boss RC-300 - as I understand it, while you can store and access many more than the three loops available for instant access, if you switch over a bank of stored loops, there is a delay before the new loop starts playing. (This is explained much more clearly in some of the reviews. Also, it's possible that Boss has corrected this with a firmware update.)

A fairly advanced performance looper was built by a company called Looperlative. However, their rack mount looper is now discontinued and they now have a pedal-based looper. Home

If you want really sophisticated performance looping, the next step up is to drag along a laptop with Ableton Live. All the looping options you would ever want...but it's a rabbit hole.

I had a Boss RC-2 but really didn't like the operation. Bought a JamMan but have not tried it. I use the Boomerang. While the functionality initially seems complex, it becomes obvious as you use the pedal. It is not cheap; and the additional cost "Sidecar" adds some very useful functionality.

Hope this helps.

I know it's not a dedicated looper, but an iPad with the Loopy HD is pretty hard to beat. I've been using it for a couple years and lately been looking a adding it to my rig. I have a Line 6 Sonic port, which is excellent, and am on the waiting list for a MIDI Puc which sends midi over wifi. High quality audio, midi controllable and way more independent loops than all but Abelton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jesus Christ, $500. It better play my guitar all by itself at that price.

Boss loopers, especially the newer ones, really do not have good sound quality IMHO. I cannot stand the grainy downsampled sound quality of the RC300 - but, it's all in the eye of the beholder - I mean, it's probably fine for fuzz guitar, but not for something nuanced. Really depends on what you want to do. One of my buddies swears by the line 6 looper ("made like crap, but fun to use") - but I won't use their crap - too damn fragile.

I use the Boomerang III. Best sound quality and features I've EVER seen, including 4 full stereo loops, various TYPES of looping from synchronous to sync faractional to totally unsync'd looping. I personally HATE the user interface of the thing. And you can't save and dump loops to USB etc. And it works better with the dedicated 'side car' add on, which makes it even more expensive, but from what I've seenon the floor (instead of, say, in a laptop), this thing is the Sh!t. Sound quality is really WOW too.
I own a Boss RC300 and love it. I use to own a RC50 also and Sold it to upgrade. I vouch for the RC300! Awesome unit.

:lol This guy is a freak! I think he is Arnolds long lost emo son. Go to time index 2:10 coffee on the key bord moment. Its a great demo but has to be the funniest one I have ever seen.

I wish I had sweet dance moves like that.

I had a Boss RC-2 and I hated it!!

;)

it generated noise by just being in my pedalboard, tried "everything" I could think of
to cure the problem but nothing helped I could still hear the d**n thing ...
well basically my first line summed it all up

I hated it

lol

I would really like to have a real good looper though

I prefer to keep it simple, Fulltone True-Path ABY pedal into a pair of TC Ditto's into two different amps, each with it's own assortment of efx.

Thanks for outing me, unix-guy! ;-)

Yes, I do have a Gibson Echoplex Digital Pro (EDP). In an effort to simplify my rig, I stopped using it when I got my AFX2 a couple of years ago. I've always used the EDP in a parallel signal path (100% wet) so I can't speak to whether or not it kills your tone when in series. That being said, I never felt it lacked anything soncially.

I've actually been thinking about re-incorporating the EDP into my rig, because I really miss its "multiply" function when overdubbing. The AFX2 looper is great for simple loops, but the EDP is much more powerful.

Earlier this week I took a look at the current crop of loopers and concluded that for my purposes, the EDP is still the best bet. It certainly helps that I already own it.

Matt

Back
Top Bottom