Looper Problems

Hi guys, I'm having problems getting looper to sound crisp and clear it's almost like lo-fi is there any settings I should look at to make it useable. I presently use a Boss RC-3 and it sounds fantastic but would like to ditch all the external pedals (that's why I have an AFX3). At the moments I use Guitar into AFX3 into Boss RC-3 and straight into two headrush FRFR112 so the signal isn't being compromised it must be something setting related? Help needed

In effect the looper block sounds poor compared to external looper, why ?
Make sure playback level is turned up (I think it defaults to a little quieter than the incoming signal) and that high and low cut aren’t engaged.

If that’s not it, are you sure you aren’t just used to hearing the acoustic sound of your guitar? If you’re monitoring at lower levels, it can feel and sound dull when you stop actually playing.

Reactions: Rex
In effect the looper block sounds poor compared to external looper, why ?
It's because you're playing at low volume. When you play, you can hear the jangly sound your guitar makes all by itself. When you play back through the Looper, that jangly sound isn't there, because you're not playing. So it sounds darker.

Make sure playback level is turned up (I think it defaults to a little quieter than the incoming signal) and that high and low cut aren’t engaged.

If that’s not it, are you sure you aren’t just used to hearing the acoustic sound of your guitar? If you’re monitoring at lower levels, it can feel and sound dull when you stop actually playing.
That might be the problem good call

As @seclusion said; looper block MUST be at the end of the chain otherwise the raw guitar tone and all subsequent recordings will be processed by every block beyond it, which will sound like s***. The ONLY reason you'd put the looper first is to audition things like IRs or effect changes without having to constantly play the same line over and over.

As @seclusion said; looper block MUST be at the end of the chain otherwise the raw guitar tone and all subsequent recordings will be processed by every block beyond it, which will sound like s***. The ONLY reason you'd put the looper first is to audition things like IRs or effect changes without having to constantly play the same line over and over.
It won’t sound like crap, it will just sound like your guitar going through every block.

If it’s first, the tone will change when you change scenes. Usually want it last to record the current sound, play, then change to a lead guitar tone without the loop changing.

I'm undoubtedly misunderstanding his use case.

Last edited:
I'm undoubtedly misunderstanding his use case.
There are two main use cases for the Looper:

- When you’re dialing in a tone, and you want a “third hand” to play your guitar while you tweak; in that case, place the Looper as the first thing in your chain.

- When you’re using the Looper in performance, and you want it to play one thing while you play something different on top of that, maybe with a different tone; in that case, place the Looper at the end of your chain.

There are two main use cases for the Looper:

- When you’re dialing in a tone, and you want a “third hand” to play your guitar while you tweak; in that case, place the Looper as the first thing in your chain.

- When you’re using the Looper in performance, and you want it to play one thing while you play something different on top of that, maybe with a different tone; in that case, place the Looper at the end of your chain.

Okay, I understand. I've never actually used the Looper in the 2nd use case, but I get it. Placing it at the end allows you to tweak blocks placed before it without affecting the Looped output.

Last edited:
Okay, I understand. I've never actually used the Looper in the 2nd use case, but I get it. Placing it at the end allows you to tweak blocks placed before it without affecting the Looped output.
Sure, but it’s usually to allow channel or scene changes without changing the looper sound. End of layout for performance, start of layout for building tones.

Sure, but it’s usually to allow channel or scene changes without changing the looper sound.

Right, and I get that as a primary use case. I was just thinking out loud regarding the fundamental reason why the Looper's output remains unaffected when placed at the end of the chain.

Reactions: Rex
Back
Top Bottom