Looper Playback Sticky Across Scenes?

This isn't an Axe-FX bug. It's just the Midimate sending CCs that the looper responds to.

Another preset could be mapped to the scene with play IA off if needed. The only alternative to get both options would be assigning play to an external switch/pedal instead of MM button, but then choosing a preset could no longer start or stop the looper.

Ha, good thought, a separate Play switch via the Afx2's pedal/switch input (I'll do the pedal via the MM's input), I'll give it a go tonight, thanks!

My goal is to start the looper in whatever Scene I want, hit rec a second time for auto-play, then change Scenes while the looper plays to solo over it, then stop the looper when from whatever scene I'm in etc, so a external switch for play/stop would be perfect, with the MM doing rec/auto-play!

Brilliant!

What you're looking for is possible. As long as you stay within the same Preset (or activate "redundant midi off", as another poster mentioned), and the looper is active in every scene, you can do what you are looking to do. As soon as you reload the preset (via program change), the recorded material on the looper will be gone.

By the way, you don't necessarily need an external foot switch. I use an fcb1010. I programmed one bank to be:
- the five lower switches to be scenes
- the upper five to be looper commands
- there are still two expression pedals onboard available for further assigning.

What you're looking for is possible. As long as you stay within the same Preset (or activate "redundant midi off", as another poster mentioned), and the looper is active in every scene, you can do what you are looking to do. As soon as you reload the preset (via program change), the recorded material on the looper will be gone.

By the way, you don't necessarily need an external foot switch. I use an fcb1010. I programmed one bank to be:
- the five lower switches to be scenes
- the upper five to be looper commands
- there are still two expression pedals onboard available for further assigning.
But you're using CCs to change scenes most likely, right? The OP has to use preset mapping.

I wasn't aware that the FCB1010 could send MIDI CC Values

I have a stock fcb1010 - no Uno Chip, no mods of any kind. It works like a charm. I can program up to 5 PC changes on different midi channels. I can program two CCs - including consecutively. That's right, for the axe for example, I can program one single button for tuner on (first pedal push) and tuner off (second pedal push). ...I just found this out. (haven't tested, but stompbox mode should be possible without the uno chip). You can send midi notes if you want to - I can control ableton live this way. You can plug an amp channel switcher to it and assign things to that. There is a lot you can do with it. Nothing like it out there for the money. I paid 110 € for mine (new). I think they are up to 140 € now.

The fcb1010 is the best bang for the buck. I think the manual, though not badly written, could have been even more clearly written. There's a lot of confusion out there about the unit. But it is really uncomplicated. There are at least three software editors out there. Two of them free. I just got myself a good midi cable (Roland UM-one) and program with the software.

It seems the Uno can only CC Values on PC changes, not on CC changes, or am I missing something?
When I programmed mine (don't have it anymore), I used the Control Center editor. It does scenes with no problem... The other guitarist in my band is using it for that.

Thanks all, I'll look into teh FCB1010 and Uno/Eureka mods, plus the 7- Pin power mod as well.

It appears that the Uno can send two CC Values via a PC, so Ignore Redundant PC would still need to be activated I believe?

Another question, is there any way to have selected blocks NOT be controlled by a Scene? I'd love to be able to say have my Amp Block and a Pitch Block not be controlled by my Scenes, so I can separately control them via IA's and be able to switch Scenes with them changing state etc?

If not that would be a cool feature to add, the Block Ignore Scene feature?

Disregard, I found this is a popular feature request already!

Last edited:
Thanks all, I'll look into teh FCB1010 and Uno/Eureka mods, plus the 7- Pin power mod as well.

It appears that the Uno can send two CC Values via a PC, so Ignore Redundant PC would still need to be activated I believe?

Another question, is there any way to have selected blocks NOT be controlled by a Scene? I'd love to be able to say have my Amp Block and a Pitch Block not be controlled by my Scenes, so I can separately control them via IA's and be able to switch Scenes with them changing state etc?

If not that would be a cool feature to add, the Block Ignore Scene feature?

Disregard, I found this is a popular feature request already!
You want to send a CC without a PC. There is no need to send the PC except when you actually want to change presets.

So you would undo all your preset mapping and set Ignore Redundant to off.

Another question, is there any way to have selected blocks NOT be controlled by a Scene?

This can be done for bypass state using an Ext Ctrl as bypass modifier. Scenes would still be able to change any XY states.

So you would undo all your preset mapping and set Ignore Redundant to off.

There might not be a reason to disable IRPC here. If it's on, redundant PCs (i.e. pressing current preset switch again) can select scene 1 without the dropout of a full preset reload.

So, if I get a MFC 101 Mk II or FCB1010 Uno with 7-Pin mod, then I can switch Scenes as needed with CC#/Values (0 - 7), plus have my IA FX independent of the Scenes via bypass modifiers and controlled by CC#, correct?

Appreciate the help guys, should've upgraded from my Ultra long ago, though my Ultra could do all of this easily via turning separate parallel chains via CC# (though of course it ran out of CPU easily too due to redundant FX usage LOL!).

Loving the AFX2, sound-wise and performance-wise, just need a better foot controller. Any other smaller options coming to mind than the MFC 101 Mk II or FCB1010 Uno with 7-Pin mod that can do the CC#/Value thing?

Much appreciated!

So, if I get a MFC 101 Mk II or FCB1010 Uno with 7-Pin mod, then I can switch Scenes as needed with CC#/Values (0 - 7), plus have my IA FX independent of the Scenes via bypass modifiers and controlled by CC#, correct?

Appreciate the help guys, should've upgraded from my Ultra long ago, though my Ultra could do all of this easily via turning separate parallel chains via CC# (though of course it ran out of CPU easily too due to redundant FX usage LOL!).

Loving the AFX2, sound-wise and performance-wise, just need a better foot controller. Any other smaller options coming to mind than the MFC 101 Mk II or FCB1010 Uno with 7-Pin mod that can do the CC#/Value thing?

Much appreciated!
Yep.

Back
Top Bottom