Looper Playback Sticky Across Scenes?

DJD100

Power User
It appears that the AFX2 can't do this?

Am I missing anything?

Example: Record something in Scene 5, initiate playback in Scene 5, and then switch to Scene 2 to solo etc (my old Ultra could do this sans Scenes etc)?

TIA!

Works fine for me even across preset changes as long as the Looper block is set the same.

Do you have it enabled in all the scenes?

It appears that the AFX2 can't do this?

Am I missing anything?

Example: Record something in Scene 5, initiate playback in Scene 5, and then switch to Scene 2 to solo etc (my old Ultra could do this sans Scenes etc)?

TIA!
what exactly is/isn't happening?

Works fine for me even across preset changes as long as the Looper block is set the same.

Do you have it enabled in all the scenes?

Yes indeed, the Looper is enabled in all scenes?

a) Scene 1: Rec Loop, hit record again to start auto playback.
b) Switch to Scene 2 (say to solo over the loop with a different tone etc).

Problem: Loop audio stops playing during the scene switch, so play has to be enabled again in Scene 2.

Note: I am switching Scenes via MIDI PC from a old Rocktron MidiMate v2.x (AFX2's Ignore Redundant PC's set), not a MFC with it's Looper Mode, and the AFX2 is a Mk. 2, latest FW 9.04?

TIA for the help!

Last edited:
What command are you sending exactly?

MIDI CC 28 for Loop Rec (the default), and I send it again to start Auto Play, or MIDI CC 29 for Looper Play (also the default).

So the loop plays until I change scenes with it playing, where it stops. I can initiate play in the second scene by sending MIDI CC 29 again.

Thanks for the help!

It sounds like you're using Preset Mapping to do scene changes.

In that case, no idea if it's expected to work...

Try changing scenes with the A knob from the front panel. You should see that it does indeed work across scenes.

It sounds like you're using Preset Mapping to do scene changes.

In that case, no idea if it's expected to work...

Try changing scenes with the A knob from the front panel. You should see that it does indeed work across scenes.

Correct, I'm changing MIDI PC's, Patch Change commands mapped to Scenes with "Ignore Redundant Patch Change Commands" enabled, Scene Revert on an doff, no differnce, i.e...

SCENE SELECTION VIA PROGRAM CHANGE

The Axe-Fx II MIDI Program Change Map (See the Axe-Fx II Owner’s Manual, Section 9.3) has been
updated so that SCENE as well as PRESET can be mapped for each incoming program change
message. Ignore Redundant PC (under I/O: MIDI) must be ON for seamless scene changes via PC.
To use program changes for scene selection:
 Set MAPPING MODE to “CUSTOM.”
 Select an entry for MAP FROM PRESET.
 Select the desired entries for MAP TO PRESET and MAP TO SCENE.
Program Change mapping does not need to be saved.
Note: Custom Program Change mapping is incompatible with MFC-101 “TotalSync” and with Axe-Edit
in general.

SCENE REVERT

A new item in the I/O:MIDI menu of the Axe-Fx II allows selecting between one of two general
behaviors for scene recall via MIDI.
OFF (Default): Scene edits are retained across scene changes until you load an entirely new preset or
reload the current one3. If you tweak Scene 1, switch to Scene 2, then back to scene 1, your tweaks
will remain intact.
ON: Scene edits are lost when you change the scene without saving first. So if you tweak scene 1,
switch to Scene 2, then back to Scene 1, Scene 1 will have reverted to its previously saved state. This
makes scene changes feel more like traditional preset changes.

2 A switch connected to the PEDAL jack of the Axe-Fx II can also be used for SCENE INCR, SCENE DECR, or SCENE
SELECT (toggling between scenes one and eight.)
3 Be aware that the optional setting IGNORE REDUNDANT PC: ON prevents reloading the current preset via MIDI.

Correct, I'm changing MIDI PC's, Patch Change commands mapped to Scenes with "Ignore Redundant Patch Change Commands" enabled, Scene Revert on an doff, no differnce, i.e...

SCENE SELECTION VIA PROGRAM CHANGE

The Axe-Fx II MIDI Program Change Map (See the Axe-Fx II Owner’s Manual, Section 9.3) has been
updated so that SCENE as well as PRESET can be mapped for each incoming program change
message. Ignore Redundant PC (under I/O: MIDI) must be ON for seamless scene changes via PC.
To use program changes for scene selection:
 Set MAPPING MODE to “CUSTOM.”
 Select an entry for MAP FROM PRESET.
 Select the desired entries for MAP TO PRESET and MAP TO SCENE.
Program Change mapping does not need to be saved.
Note: Custom Program Change mapping is incompatible with MFC-101 “TotalSync” and with Axe-Edit
in general.

SCENE REVERT

A new item in the I/O:MIDI menu of the Axe-Fx II allows selecting between one of two general
behaviors for scene recall via MIDI.
OFF (Default): Scene edits are retained across scene changes until you load an entirely new preset or
reload the current one3. If you tweak Scene 1, switch to Scene 2, then back to scene 1, your tweaks
will remain intact.
ON: Scene edits are lost when you change the scene without saving first. So if you tweak scene 1,
switch to Scene 2, then back to Scene 1, Scene 1 will have reverted to its previously saved state. This
makes scene changes feel more like traditional preset changes.

2 A switch connected to the PEDAL jack of the Axe-Fx II can also be used for SCENE INCR, SCENE DECR, or SCENE
SELECT (toggling between scenes one and eight.)
3 Be aware that the optional setting IGNORE REDUNDANT PC: ON prevents reloading the current preset via MIDI.
Yeah... I used to use that with my Ground Control, but never used the Looper with it.

Did you try scene change from the A knob as I suggested?

MIDI Patch Change's 0 - 4, custom mapped to Patch 001 Scenes 1 - 5.
i believe with that command type, you are fully changing presets, then changing Scenes. so you aren't just changing Scenes. you change to the same preset again, which reloads everything - including stopping the Looper - and then it switches to the Scene.

you need to scene CC#34 on the appropriate value 0-7 to change to Scenes 1-8 respectively.

i believe with that command type, you are fully changing presets, then changing Scenes. so you aren't just changing Scenes. you change to the same preset again, which reloads everything - including stopping the Looper - and then it switches to the Scene.

you need to scene CC#34 on the appropriate value 0-7 to change to Scenes 1-8 respectively.
Yes, but that is why you have to set Ignore Redundant PC on.

It ignores the PC if it's the same as already in use. Read the manual snippets he posted...

Interesting, as another data points all the effects and amp sounds change without gaps, so that might indicate that the preset isn't getting reloaded?

I'm using a old Rocktron MidMate which can't send CC values, just CC's, hence my use of PC's?

Store the play CC button "on" in the second MM preset. It sends button states at preset change so being stored off will stop playback.

Store the play CC button "on" in the second MM preset. It sends button states at preset change so being stored off will stop playback.
Sounds like a winner... I was focused on the preset mapping and thinking only about the PCs.

While that will probably work in this scenario, it will make the Looper play every time this scene is selected. I don't think that is the desired result, though :(

Sounds like a winner... I was focused on the preset mapping and thinking only about the PCs.

While that will probably work in this scenario, it will make the Looper play every time this scene is selected. I don't think that is the desired result, though :(

Ha ha, yes, undesired and dangerous behavior!

I guess I'll bug this as in my thinking it should work, so maybe it can be fixed?

This isn't an Axe-FX bug. It's just the Midimate sending CCs that the looper responds to.

Another preset could be mapped to the scene with play IA off if needed. The only alternative to get both options would be assigning play to an external switch/pedal instead of MM button, but then choosing a preset could no longer start or stop the looper.

Back
Top Bottom