Looper in the Axe FXIII

Oh you’re asking from the beginning. I thought you were already listening to the loop.

Press Rec
Press Play to play the loop and listen
Press Rec to overdub at any point.

Simple.

Or just

Press Rec
Press Rec again to enter overdub mode but just don’t play anything; start overdubbing whenever you want.

I haven't been able to get that to work with the MFC. Once I hit play, it will not go into overdub, only record a new loop. The only way I have gotten it to work is as I have described. I could leave it in overdub but if there is any background hum or you make any noise at all, you ruin the loop & have to start over.

I haven't been able to get that to work with the MFC. Once I hit play, it will not go into overdub, only record a new loop. The only way I have gotten it to work is as I have described. I could leave it in overdub but if there is any background hum or you make any noise at all, you ruin the loop & have to start over.
can you try it on the front panel (the EDIT view of the Looper block) just to confirm it does work?

it's probably how the MFC is sending messages. hopefully the upcoming "toggle" CC value option will help out with all of this - the light on the MFC just might be in the correct position, but the functionality works as needed: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/momentary-midi-cc-support-for-bypass-controls.138606/

can you try it on the front panel (the EDIT view of the Looper block) just to confirm it does work?

it's probably how the MFC is sending messages. hopefully the upcoming "toggle" CC value option will help out with all of this - the light on the MFC just might be in the correct position, but the functionality works as needed: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/momentary-midi-cc-support-for-bypass-controls.138606/

It works from the front panel, not form the MFC. I have both the rec & play switches set to toggle. Sometimes when I hit the play switch on the MFC, I can see the overdub light on the Axe flash on & off, sometimes not. It does seem like the MFC is sending unwanted data to the Axe.

It works from the front panel, not form the MFC. I have both the rec & play switches set to toggle. Sometimes when I hit the play switch on the MFC, I can see the overdub light on the Axe flash on & off, sometimes not. It does seem like the MFC is sending unwanted data to the Axe.
cool. the toggle i mentioned and linked to is a new setting on the Axe3 hardware that isn't released yet. cliff mentioned it in the thread i linked. it should help, though you still may need to adjust your MFC settings.

there's a recent thread regarding better ways to set the MFC for the looper.

cool. the toggle i mentioned and linked to is a new setting on the Axe3 hardware that isn't released yet. cliff mentioned it in the thread i linked. it should help, though you still may need to adjust your MFC settings.

there's a recent thread regarding better ways to set the MFC for the looper.

Which thread are you referring too? There is a bunch of information floating around in bits & pieces. The one I thought you were referring to didn't make sense as it was saying to change cc#s on things that only exist in the II.

Which thread are you referring too? There is a bunch of information floating around in bits & pieces. The one I thought you were referring to didn't make sense as it was saying to change cc#s on things that only exist in the II.
it's the thread i linked, that i think you looked at.

the issue is that the controls on the Axe3 are waiting for a specific ON message and a specific OFF message. this happens to be 0-63 for OFF and 64 to 127 for ON.

the problem with the Looper controls on 3rd party controllers is that you press REC to start recording - this sends an ON message.
then let's say you press PLAY to start the loop.

now PLAY has an ON message, but REC still has the ON message from before - nothing made it send an OFF message. this means the next time you press REC, you are sending an OFF message - but what if you wanted to Record or Overdub? you'd have to press it twice.

the new Toggle option mentioned in the thread i linked will change the Axe from responding to specific On/Off messages to ANY message sent on that CC#.

so if the Axe receives a value of 127 and Rec is off, it will turn on. when it receives that same 127 message a 2nd time, it will turn off because it's setup to simply TOGGLE when receiving any value on that CC number. this is how it could help with your looper buttons as any message will toggle the function.

the Looper is tricky because the functions depend on each other. with FAS controllers - shown on the MFC with the Axe-Fx II, and the FX8 and AX8 - buttons are linked with some sort of logic. Press ONCE while Play is on, and both Play and ONCE lights will turn off. press PLAY while REC is recording, and Play will turn ON and Rec will turn off. that logic isn't preset with other controllers. this Toggle option will hopefully help with that.

it's the thread i linked, that i think you looked at.

the issue is that the controls on the Axe3 are waiting for a specific ON message and a specific OFF message. this happens to be 0-63 for OFF and 64 to 127 for ON.

the problem with the Looper controls on 3rd party controllers is that you press REC to start recording - this sends an ON message.
then let's say you press PLAY to start the loop.

now PLAY has an ON message, but REC still has the ON message from before - nothing made it send an OFF message. this means the next time you press REC, you are sending an OFF message - but what if you wanted to Record or Overdub? you'd have to press it twice.

the new Toggle option mentioned in the thread i linked will change the Axe from responding to specific On/Off messages to ANY message sent on that CC#.

so if the Axe receives a value of 127 and Rec is off, it will turn on. when it receives that same 127 message a 2nd time, it will turn off because it's setup to simply TOGGLE when receiving any value on that CC number. this is how it could help with your looper buttons as any message will toggle the function.

the Looper is tricky because the functions depend on each other. with FAS controllers - shown on the MFC with the Axe-Fx II, and the FX8 and AX8 - buttons are linked with some sort of logic. Press ONCE while Play is on, and both Play and ONCE lights will turn off. press PLAY while REC is recording, and Play will turn ON and Rec will turn off. that logic isn't preset with other controllers. this Toggle option will hopefully help with that.

I thought you were talking about a thread that tells how to set up the MFC for the looper, not the wish post that might help improve the MFC looper function with the III. At least I can make the overdub work but it would be nice to have a dedicated midi cc# for overdub for all of us who are using the MFC.

I thought you were talking about a thread that tells how to set up the MFC for the looper, not the wish post that might help improve the MFC looper function with the III. At least I can make the overdub work but it would be nice to have a dedicated midi cc# for overdub for all of us who are using the MFC.
perhaps make a wish post for that then.

mobius is much deeper than ableton's looper

You can always turn to drooling over Ed Sheeran's looping setup 'Chewie Monsta' (version 2 pictured) while you are at it.

Custom built floor unit running Mobius hosted by Ableton. I think I read somewhere it has 8 separate I/O so each can be EQ'd at the desk.

Buy-Chewie-2-Ed-Sheeran-Loop-Pedal.jpg

Back
Top Bottom