LOOPER CONTROL VIA MIDI PROGRAM CHANGES_LOGIC/PROTOOLS???

Yes I do it with Sonar on PC :

Record MIDI CC = #28
Stop/Play MIDI CC = #29
Dub MIDI CC = #31

Why ?

Because we are playing with videos and click and often I use the looper to record a guitar track and play another guitar track... And it stays perfectly in time with the metronome !

Last edited:
I thought so, awesome thanks!

The reason is bc Im in a two piece band, guitar and drums...and we play really technical stuff sometimes to a click, and with lots of layers, so instead of just playing previously recorded backing tracks (which is worse IMO) I need multiple MIDI changes to happen simultaneously...and be EXACTLY in time. Solution? get another guitarist...haha this MIDI solution will be perfect for now though.

Off subject but it's odd that I used to own the Ditto looper prior to owning the axe-fx and I never had an issue with creating my loops perfectly in time. For some crazy reason the axe-fx looper is ALWAYS slightly out of time, quantized or not...I don't think i have ever gotten it exact in a live performance, anyone else having this issue?

all MIDI CC#s for everything in the axe are available in the I/O Menu, CTRL Page on the front panel of the Axe. i highly suggest leaving these set at default values, don't change them. the list is also in the Axe manual.

as for the out of time loops, how did you set the loop in/out points? a foot controller like the MFC-101? i always turn quantize off. i don't want a machine forcing the end point of a loop, possibly adding space.

Ya i don't touch the CC#'s i leave everything as default as can be, when it comes to MIDI anyways. Ya I am using the MFC-101...I have tried setting the In-OUT points using no quantizing to 1/4-1/16...some are worse but none are PERFECT. It's like the record enable switch is delayed by 1/16-1/32 of a beat...the ditto looper worked perfectly for me. may have to go back to that.

strange. i can get perfect loops - well as perfect as I can hit the switch haha! but no delay or anything.

check out my looper video near the end right around 20:00, are you getting the same functionality as me?

Last edited:
oh nice, ya i watched your video a while back and set up my looper to be an IA just as you have it here. works great, i think the issue is that we are playing to a click and BASS backing track so EVERYTHING is perfect bc, well, its a machine...and we are human. Also the level of technicality to some of our songs make it impossible for me (HUMAN) to NAIL it exactly especially in instances where the record enable MUST be hit on say the & of 2 measure 1 of a 2measure riff. Guess i need to practice even more...but still, I'd rather it be perfectly controlled by the MIDI program changes so that I can worry about playing GUITAR and NAILING the notes, rather than worrying about hitting the record at the EXACT moment. thanks for the tips though, MIDI control is the way to go for me at this point!

If you are running with a click, you know you can also control transport of daw tracks with midi. that is why I asked why, if the daw is running anyways then you can record play etc with midi board controlling the daw.

Back
Top Bottom