Looks like you sound bad

I'm thinking about getting some fake cabs to put on stage after this weekend. During a break at a gig this weekend a guy stops me and we have this conversation:

Him: Hey, sounds great! What amp are you using?
Me: No amp. I run through a processor direct to the board.
Him: (winces) ugh... no amp? why?
Me: So many reasons. It sounds great, it's versatile, Easy to carry...
Him: (shaking head) But it's not pushing air. You gotta push some air. Who makes it? Digitech?
Me: Fractal Audio. It's called the AxeFX.
Him: So it's like Digitech?
Me: It's a whole different class of processor compared to Digitech. A lot of pro players use it- John Petrucci, Alex Lifeson... Hey, sorry I gotta run- we're back on in 2.
Him: (shakes head again)

Just a friendly reminder that 90% of what people hear is with their eyes...

I think you just need the equivalent of digitech in tube amps. I've never had a tube amp so can't say. So you say either "it's the <insert great tube amp> of the digital world" or "Digitech to Fractal is like <insert low grade tube amp> to <high grade tube amp>".

As I finish type it, I know it won't make any difference... I don't think it matters to those guys.

What amp are ya using?

All of them.

Seriously though.

When people ask me the "what amp is that" question, I immediately ask them what though thought of it first. Now,, I know they liked what they heard, or they wouldn't be asking, so after they've told me it was the best sounding blah, blah, blah, they've ever heard, I tell them what it is. At that point, they've already backed themselves into a corner, and I'm there bring up the Fractal website on my phone, to show them more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Come to think of I don't think I've ever seen any amps on stage with Prince. I never seemed to hurt his sound any.

Back
Top Bottom