Looking to change things up. Few questions.

Boy_Narf

Hello Everyone,

We just recently moved to a new house, and I just can't get my rig sounding right. I have an A/B setup going into a stereo Port City OC212V cabinet with V30's. Signal chain as follows:

GLXD16 --> Decimator II --> Flashback Mini (for stutter effect) --> Startouch A/B

A: Timeline --> Bluesky --> Rang IIII (left) --> distro box --> PS170.
B: Rang III (right) --> distro box --> Tiny Terror.

I've been running this for a few years now and to be clear I don't play out. I do a bit of recording, and lots of jamming at home. My music tastes have changed in the past few years, as well as my idea of "good guitar tone". The PS170 is so far the best I've found for a compact clean sound (haven't tried quilter stuff, but been through 10 or so amps already), and the TT just isn't cutting it for the progressive direction I'm headed in. Getting properly sick of auditioning and returning (usually taking a hit) amps. I feel like having near unlimited options would be good as it seems every other day I'm hating the sound of my rig and looking for something to change.

So I'm curious if I can ditch everything except the wireless and move the entire rig into Axe-FX land? I've been checking out the III and seems like I can set this up easily, but what about with the II? Not sure I can handle the price of the III especially since I'm in Canada. I won't be selling off all my gear just yet :)

Also curious about the looper? Is it full featured? I do a ton of looping, and the Rang III has been amazing so far, but if I can run everything in the AXE that would be ideal.

And as a final question, is it possible to do stereo/mono routing into headphones? Yes I will primary be using headphones (ATH-M50), no real need to bother everyone when I'm struck with inspiration past midnight. My currently late night setup is AmpliTube with the clean side down the centre, and the dirty side panned hard. Helps to retain definition once I start adding loops. It doesn't have to be exactly like this, but I would like to know if it's possible.

***In the event I would need to amplify this, I would be running it into my Bose L1M2B2. Haven't done any research on how these sound, but I'm sure it would be able to handle it for rehearsals.

Thanks everyone.

As long as you don't start with the III, you will probably be happy with the II. The III is supposed to have better modeling and tones, but the II still sounds great to me. Note that while you can get amp in the room tones with the AXE II, the starting point is more recorded guitar tones. If you are going to get frustrated by having it not immediately sound like a raw, in the room cab, it may not be for you. The built in looper is full featured, but I find it hard to use (for example, you would have to set it up on each preset where you want to use). I would just stick with the Rang. (You can run pedals into the AXE). You can do stereo/mono routing into headphones. I am pretty sure there is a headphone jack on the II, but at home I run mine into a little Mackie 2 channel mixer. I would think your Bose L1 would sound OK, but I am not aware of anyone amplifying with that. If you don't gig, good quality studio monitors are a great amplification choice.

Does the looper have overdub queuing/arming?

If I ran the looper into the front, then wouldn't I also need to run my A/B switcher into input 1/2 and basically treat the Axe as two separate amps? I need to be able to have both clean and dirty loops that can loop over each other, or independently. Not sure if I could route it through the FX loop. I really wish I had a way to try one of these out first. Perhaps I can pay someone locally to let me test theirs for a few hours haha.

Back
Top Bottom