Looking to buy monitors for the Axe-Fx

I'm probably going to get powered monitors for the Axe-Fx and I was looking at the Yamaha HS-8, haven't decided anything so I'm completely open to suggestions if you think this is the wrong path.

Before I make a purchase I have two questions.

1. Does an 8" woofer have low enough frequency range to represent a standard tuned guitar?
The Yamaha says it goes down to 38 hz wich is lower than a low 6th string E which is about 82.4.
But does it sound weak?

2. Should I get ported or sealed monitors?

Again, if you have suggestions please let me hear them.
I'd like to keep my price under 500 or not much over that.

Edit: just to clarify - there is nothing other than an electric guitar that will be going into the monitors.

Thanks

I use the Adam A7s. I love them for this purpose and get plenty of low end from them. Keep in mind that those monitors that you are looking at are probably not flat down to 38hz. I also use a sub with mine too. But I do other things than just amplify my Axe with them. since you're just using them for guitar, why not get a Friedman ASM or sole powered PA speakers. I know a lot of people around here have great luck with those and might be more suitable for what you're wanting to achieve. On the other hand, the studio monitors will be more compact and you could always use them for recording or listening to music too

If you want to mix music, then look at getting something like the A7s, they rule. If you want to do more live stuff, get a freidman powered monitor.

Ok, thanks fellas.

Most of the recommendations are over 500.

And No, Lucas, as I said, this is for guitar only.

Steve, the Adam is out, but "sole powered PA speaker is very much in the picure.
Only downside is I lose the stereo effect of the chorus.

I may just get a mixer and use the speakers I already have.

Thanks.

If you are playing at home then the JBL LSR 305 sound pretty good with my AX8 and they are not a lot of money.$300.00 for pair at guitar center.

I owned the CLRs and now I own a cheap pair of Alto TS212s. Sounds just as good to me, for at a fraction of the price.

If you are playing at home then the JBL LSR 305 sound pretty good with my AX8 and they are not a lot of money.$300.00 for pair at guitar center.

Cat, this is just for playing at home.

Does the frequency range of the speaker give enough room for you to play a low E or a D and it still sounds good, that is - doesn't come in at a lesser volume than the mid and higher range?

Just wondering if the 5" woofer is enough or if I should go to the 8".

Thanks

Like I always say on those topics, my Yamaha HS7 x2 does a great work for a killer price :)

Do you have any problems matching the low end to the mid and high frequencies?
I'm mainly asking because I'm worried if the 6.5" woofer is enough and if I should go for the 8"?

Thanks

I have only experience with the 5" so maybe someone that has experience with both can help you. I find that the 305 might be lacking some low end but what I use it for it doesn't bother me too much. I was thinking of exchanging the 305 for the 308 to hear the difference since I am within that window with GC.

Do you have any problems matching the low end to the mid and high frequencies?
I'm mainly asking because I'm worried if the 6.5" woofer is enough and if I should go for the 8"?

Thanks
well, for my use in my little home studio, I had even too much bass and needed some treatment, but the rear bass exit is not that hard to tame, as long as they are not back to an immediate wall

Hi guys!
New to the fractal audio forum and glad to be around : )

I´m trying to decide between buying an alto ts 210 or an alto ts 212.

Has anyone had any experience trying them? Is there much differenced between them? Any thoughts?

Thnx!

Back
Top Bottom