Looking for Zappa Clean Tone

zappafranco

Inspired
Update: Attached you find a preset with a clean and dirty amp in parallel which seems to be one key aspect of sound I am looking for. Someone in the forum did a Dynaflanger Preset some while ago. I saved the Flanger as a block and included this block in the preset.
As far as I know Zappa did use the Dynaflange only in the studio, but not when he was playing live. The preset is far from perfect and I don't know which "normal" faser is the best to simulate the sound of the Yo mama solo, but anyway, this is as far as I have come.

Zappa Flanger Preset for Yo mama

Here you find an interesting short video of Dweezil Zappa explaining how to get that sound which is a mixture of clean DI and dirty amp which is basically very easy to do with the Axe FX3, but the devil is in the details and I am not an expert, just an obsessed lover of Frank Zappas music.

----------------------------------------------------------
As a huge Zappa Fan I am looking for this glassy elastic 80's clean tone as for example in
Any kind of pain, the clean tone starting at
2:50:

I know that there is an Easterhay Preset available in Axechange but somehow it doesn't work for me or it may not be exactly the sound I am looking for.
I would also be willing to pay for custom presets from people like Moke for the following Zappa tones:
Yo mama

Pink Napkins

I know as always the tone is also in the fingers, Zappa was using a lot of very complex and exotic effects like the mighty Dynaflanger etc. and part of the secret of the clean tone might be Zappa playing on the fretboard with his picking hand which produces this great "elastic sound"...
Two years ago I tried to make a Zappa Flanger Preset for the AX8 and got some help from AustinBuddy. Well, two years later I have the AXE-FX3 and maybe this preset could be improved a little bit by someone who knows better than me the secrets of Zappas very unique guitar tones.
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/zappa-flanger-preset.142615/

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your advice. I have sent you a private E-Mail because I stumbled upon another comercial patch from I think it's from Fremen which goes in that direction which uses a comercial IR. Basically I used a Vibroverb Preset with PEQ and compression as you said.

Back
Top Bottom