Looking for USB powered soundcard recommendations for my Axe-Fx 2?

Hi!

While I wait for my Axe to come back from the hospital (hehe) i'm trying to decide how I'm gonna route everything.

My setup is right now: Computer + Yamaha HS5 + Roland Rubix 22 + Axe FX.

The thing is, I can't plug my Axe FX to my Roland since it doesn't have line output and using the Axe directly is not an option (at least for now) since I use my monitors for other stuff (movies, Netflix and such).

I could however, buy a different soundcard and connect everything via S/PDIF and route everything digitally, but I'm a bit lost. What I'm aiming for is a routing that allows me to turn on my axe fx and record/reamp with it, and while it's off, I can use my studio monitors for other stuff without having to unplug anything.

Got any soundcard recommendations? Or other possible routing? I've been looking at the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 MK2 for a bit, but I'm open to other options. I would like to be able to plug a mic or two too.

I don't know if I explained my situation properly.

I want to use my studio monitors for my Axe FX as well as my soundcard when I'm not recording or doing anything music related (Netflix, Zoom, whatever) since they are my main speakers in my desk.

The thing is, I don't want to rely on the AXE FX to be always on, I just want to turn the unit on when I need to use it. So I'm trying to see what should I do in order to be able to use my studio monitors with both my soundcard, as well as with my Axe FX.

Should I buy just a monitor splitter and keep my soundcard?

Hi!

While I wait for my Axe to come back from the hospital (hehe) i'm trying to decide how I'm gonna route everything.

My setup is right now: Computer + Yamaha HS5 + Roland Rubix 22 + Axe FX.

The thing is, I can't plug my Axe FX to my Roland since it doesn't have line output and using the Axe directly is not an option (at least for now) since I use my monitors for other stuff (movies, Netflix and such).

I could however, buy a different soundcard and connect everything via S/PDIF and route everything digitally, but I'm a bit lost. What I'm aiming for is a routing that allows me to turn on my axe fx and record/reamp with it, and while it's off, I can use my studio monitors for other stuff without having to unplug anything.

Got any soundcard recommendations? Or other possible routing? I've been looking at the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 MK2 for a bit, but I'm open to other options. I would like to be able to plug a mic or two too.
What’s the budget? RME Babyface line would be my top choice for what you are looking for. Extremely flexible routing, transparent audio quality, and I have never once had a driver issue with an RME device.

@Bigtim is right though. Your current audio interface does have two inputs and two outputs, so you could definitely get by with that. Just connect the Axe to the two inputs on the front, and connect the outputs on the back to your monitors. If you wanted to record with a microphone, like you mentioned, you would have to unplug at least one of the channels of your Axe FX (assuming you would be running the Axe in stereo).

Your existing interface is fine. Plug your monitors into the two outputs behind the sound card, and plug your axe fx from its output to the input of the roland. You will have another input for a microphone. If want more mic inputs then you will need to upgrade your interface.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom