Looking For Tone Match/IR Advice - Rockmans

Hey all,
I'm fairly new around here. I've had an Axe-Fx III for about two months now (I love the thing, definitely frees me from the limitations I had with my Helix, but that's not what this post is about).

So I have a "full" Rockman Rack. Sustainor, Distortion Generator (a Sustainor with only a boosted "dist" channel), Chorus/Delay combo module, Midi Octopus, and Guitar Compressor (can also act as a super-compressor to get the Clean 2 sound (thin compressed clean).

I tried to add hyperlinks to the unit's manuals, but I still can't post links. The best resource I've found on the internet is Rockman.fr, the manuals are on there! I'm looking to part with my Rockman units, as I really don't need them anymore, but I want to try and model them the best I can before I get rid of them.

So here's why I'm here. I'm trying to figure out the best way to model all the different sounds available from these units before I get rid of them.

Is there an 'ideal' DI recording I can use as a tone match base? Maybe a sign wave but probably doesn't accurately show the unit's potential. I'm willing to put in the work, and I will definitely the created results with the forum, I'm just trying to figure out how to do this.
I'm looking to capture each channel on the sustainor and a few variations of each with the different settings,
Dirt
Edge
Clean 1
Clean 2

Am I on the right track here? I appreciate all the help!

Those are all great links.

My goal here is to capture EQ response curves of the units I have, so that they can later be used for tone matching in the unit.
I don't want this thread to get lumped into another Boston tone-chasing thread :D
I'm just trying to see if anyone has any ideas how to best capture the sound of the unit (probably outside of the AxeFX itself) to later use those captures for tone-matching.

That video by @2112 is great and those tone matches are nice, but not quite what I'm trying to do

I really do appreciate the help, but I think I'm not explaining myself properly. My goal is to create a reference library from a (reasonable) number of settings permutations. This is probably even the wrong subform for that because that wouldn't necessarily be done with the Axe Fx, they would just be used for tone matching later. I'd like to have a reference library that covers different sounds these units can make.

What I think the best way to do what I want to do, is to have a single minute long reference track, that I save a DI of, and I repeat it through the different units, changing a setting and logging the changes down.

What should that minute of reference "tone" consist of, though? The tone matching manual suggests a combination of rhythm/lead, playing up and down the neck. Should just noodle a composition out that covers the different types of playing, or is there a better way to do that?

I'm trying to take a scientific approach to this, it's more data gathering/recording than anything I think. Heck, I should probably record the chorus and delay units for analysation, too. The frequency and delay ratios are printed on the unit, so that might be overkill though :D

I hope my ramblings are making sense!

Dave

Here's the "problem" with Tone Match: it is an EQ matching process. You need to dial in a similar tone to match against.

But let's say you get it perfect - as soon as the Amp modeling changes, you're source may change... Meaning your perfect match is now not.

You'd probably be better served by figuring out how to dial in an existing amp model to get the sound you're after... Because once you sell off the Rockman you can't match it again.

Although I suppose if you have a DAW then I guess you could just record it dialed in to your liking and then use that as the reference audio.

Back
Top Bottom