Looking for tips on how to get more accurate with the Looper

Also, make sure you don't have a secondary hold function set on the record or play buttons. That can cause a slight delay in things.
There are no Hold functions assigned, it's just the standard Looper Layout. Loops that are only played once are fine. It's when a loop "loops"; after the 3rd time it is slightly out of sync with the drum track that I'm using. I'm guessing that I'm not quite hitting the end of the loop point accurately yet.

I also did what the OP described (back with my originals band), but I would always record the full part I was soloing over, and the drummer used a click-track. Trying to have the loop repeat more than once would never work.

Do you think the external mic helps with the loop syncing?
Yup it absolutely does, especially if your a loud rock band, Of course one can confuse it if tou go out of your way to, but my experience has been that it tracks very well, pretty much on par with the demo videos.

For what it's worth (if anything), personally, I didn't like using a looper in a band situation as I didn't think the music could "breath". It seems important (at least in some playing contexts) that the drummer and bass player lock in with each other and that all instruments listen to and play off each other. Then it's possible to reach that rarefied air when the group is in the zone playing as one. When a looper is on, then everybody's just playing to a machine. Nothing wrong with that I suppose; just wasn't my cup of tea for rock and roll.

It might be worth considering adjusting your set list so that the tunes you're doing work well in a trio setting.

The FS-5U, is what I use. The FC is just that much taller than the FS-5U which makes it less comfortable to hold my foot over the button...
Got one of these and hooked it up, that helped! Then I remembered that I had a Lexicon Dual Foot Switch that wasn’t being used, so I connected it. Left switch = RECORD, right switch = PLAY/STOP. Same type of switch as the FS-5U too. It’s like you said, the FC being taller throws me off a little. If the Lexicon works out, I’ll have the FS-5U be a dedicated tuner button :guitar:

After working with the Looper, I’ve come to the conclusion that I am asking too much of it. I picked up a used Jam Man looper, same kind I used to use a decade ago. I can store up to 99 loops on it. I’ll try it in rehearsal on a couple songs before committing to putting down a dozen rhythm guitar tracks. If it doesn’t work, back on Reverb it goes.

Last edited:
After working with the Looper, I’ve come to the conclusion that I am asking too much of it. I picked up a used Jam Man looper, same kind I used to use a decade ago. I can store up to 99 loops on it. I’ll try it in rehearsal on a couple songs before committing to putting down a dozen rhythm guitar tracks. If it doesn’t work, back on Reverb it goes.

I understand ... I'm trying to get it working for me because adding a looper to the mix is such a hassle, cables and power ... but my trusty boomerang is calling me, its an amazing box. I may end up going that way. The Jam man ability to store loops is cool, seems like a sample player would be trivial for the Axe to have ... I wonder why we don't have one.

The Jam man ability to store loops is cool, seems like a sample player would be trivial for the Axe to have ... I wonder why we don't have one.
That’s literally all I’ll use the Jam Man for, just a glorified sample playback unit. I’ll go thru our setlist and make a list of phrases that I need to record. Then I’ll fire up Logic and record and edit those phrases so that they’re ‘perfect’ ahem, then copy them to the Jam Man. I got the footswitch so that I can page up or down thru the loops.

I agree with your question - if the Axe FX III can store up to 5 minutes of stereo audio via the Looper, why not add the capability to upload loops for playback?

That’s literally all I’ll use the Jam Man for, just a glorified sample playback unit. I’ll go thru our setlist and make a list of phrases that I need to record. Then I’ll fire up Logic and record and edit those phrases so that they’re ‘perfect’ ahem, then copy them to the Jam Man. I got the footswitch so that I can page up or down thru the loops.

I agree with your question - if the Axe FX III can store up to 5 minutes of stereo audio via the Looper, why not add the capability to upload loops for playback?

Empower yourself and make the ask...FAS does implement stuff from customer suggestions. All the time. 🤙

There are no Hold functions assigned, it's just the standard Looper Layout. Loops that are only played once are fine. It's when a loop "loops"; after the 3rd time it is slightly out of sync with the drum track that I'm using. I'm guessing that I'm not quite hitting the end of the loop point accurately yet.
If you're attempting to loop against a drum machine or click track, you're running into the "2 clocks" problem where the loop and the track will drift out of sync because each has it's own "clock" and they're not identical. You can reduce this a bit by making your loop longer. The longer you can record a loop against the click track/drums, the longer it'll go before drifting out of sync (if you punch in/out accurately). The shorter the loop the faster it goes out of sync. It'll go out of sync no matter what. And if you're performing with a drummer who isn't locked to a metrome, you'll go out of sync so fast it'll make your head spin.

What you need is for your looper "clock" to be identical to your drum "clock". Problem is there's no way to do that unless you slave one device to the "clock" of another. That means having a looper that can receive midi sync or other sync from your drum track or click track. If synced, your looper punch in/out/play will be locked to the drums and won't drift.

Ableton live solved this with its internal loopers blocks. You can look into that. I'm not aware of any looper hardware pedals that sync with drum machines or click tracks. Most musicians are either in the looper camp or the backing tracks camp. I'm agnostic: I perform just acoustic/voice, I do looping, I perform with tracks, and I loop briefly against a track. Whatever works.

I'm not aware of any looper hardware pedals that sync with drum machines or click tracks.
You’re right about the clocks needing to be sync’d. There are plenty of drum machines and hardware loopers that can sync via MIDI though: Boss RC-300, Pigtronix Infinity, TC Ditto X4, EHX 45000, Boomerang, Beat Buddy, Roland TR-8S, Axe FX II, AX8, Axe FX III...

You’re right about the clocks needing to be sync’d. There are plenty of drum machines and hardware loopers that can sync via MIDI though: Boss RC-300, Pigtronix Infinity, TC Ditto X4, EHX 45000, Boomerang, Beat Buddy, Roland TR-8S, Axe FX II, AX8, Axe FX III...
Thanks. Do any of the loopers allow for full remote operation with midi, similar to axe-fx? I ask because don't run any audio to my pedalboard. It's basically a midi remote control for axe-fx, vocal fx, tracks, mixing board and lights.

Thanks. Do any of the loopers allow for full remote operation with midi, similar to axe-fx? I ask because don't run any audio to my pedalboard. It's basically a midi remote control for axe-fx, vocal fx, tracks, mixing board and lights.
I’m sure a quick Google search on any of these product manuals would let you know. My two primary looping devices are Axe FX and Ableton Live, both of which can be synced via MIDI.

I’m sure a quick Google search on any of these product manuals would let you know. My two primary looping devices are Axe FX and Ableton Live, both of which can be synced via MIDI.
Same here. As looping picked up in popularity, I incorporated the Axe-Fx. When it grew even bigger, I built a looper setup in Ableton with massive capability but I haven't taken time to incorporate it. With my luck, I'd do all that work just in time for the looping fad to die off - LOL.

Back
Top Bottom