Looking for tips for getting "classic" models of delay pedals, racks, units etc.

PdotCdot

I really do enjoy the delays in the FM3 and Axe FX III, but I'm wondering if anyone can offer up some tips for eq'ing, LFO'ing, modulation, diffusing, etc. when it comes to dialling in some of the classic delay tones we know and love. Space Echo, Binson Echorec, Oil Can delays, Echoplex.

I find the types in all the delay blocks get close but there is something missing in really nailing the flavours of delay I mention above.

I can't figure out if it's eq, diffusion settings, modulation or whatever.

If you've got a specific unit that you've really nailed down, maybe share some settings if ya wouldn't mind.

I really do enjoy the delays in the FM3 and Axe FX III, but I'm wondering if anyone can offer up some tips for eq'ing, LFO'ing, modulation, diffusing, etc. when it comes to dialling in some of the classic delay tones we know and love. Space Echo, Binson Echorec, Oil Can delays, Echoplex.

I find the types in all the delay blocks get close but there is something missing in really nailing the flavours of delay I mention above.

I can't figure out if it's eq, diffusion settings, modulation or whatever.

If you've got a specific unit that you've really nailed down, maybe share some settings if ya wouldn't mind.
Are you playing at gig volumes or lower volumes?

Lowish volumes at home through either monitors or headphones.
Then there’s a good chance you’re hearing the acoustic sound of your guitar, even through headphones. You’ll hear that acoustic sound with each note you play, but not with the repeats coming from the Delay. That will make the delay sound different.

If you can, crank your volume sometime, or record direct and listen to the playback. Then you’ll hear what your Delay is really doing.

Thanks for the reply. What you describe wouldn't be it though. When I run the FM3 through my DAW and use some modelled delay plugins, the tones and character are there. Specifically, I'm referring to the Overloud Binson plugin, Outer Space from Audio Thing, and the models in Soundtoys Echoboy.

It would help if we could hear clips of what you want and what you're getting.

If anyone is at all interested... I’ve spent a lot of time tweaking eq settings in the various models, messing with stereo spread (bringing it in actually), going a little easier on diffusion mix when it’s an option, tweaking drive here and there, and wrapping my head around the interaction between separate delay line feedbacks since they seem to interact with each other, and I’ve arrived at a place where the various parameters for several of the types are much more intuitive. So many tweaks me parameters but I’m convinced that everything is there with a little patience and understanding. Fractal with have the FM13 out in the wild by the time I’m done really getting to know this thing! Love it!

Back
Top Bottom