looking for this overdriven tone...

Years of practice! That's a pretty special guitar he has too.

+1 for the skills...and that guitar is very nice!

...and to the OP, as you probably know, there is Post-processing going on in these videos.

Last edited:
Here's another demo of the Suhr Hedgehog 50 by Pete Thorn. Sounds great from clean to crunch. I'm pretty sure there's something in the Axe that can get close.

if it was me, i'd go for the badger 30 and change the output valves from el34 to 5881

pete's demo sounds very different from the first video. you can see the settings though, so i guess start there....

I took a stab at it. I'll echo that the right guitar will be key to this tone; Suhr guitars in my experience all have a sort of hi-fi quality that I attest to generally bright woods (even their mahogany choices). I got pretty close with my Swamp Ash Modern with Thornbuckers.

Added negative feedback since the Badger doesn't have any and changed the tubes to 5881. Also added some Depth since there's a Deep switch pressed in that clip. I used the stock Bludo mix, but the 1x12 Triptik cab works well, too.

Give it a go and hopefully it's a good place to start :)

Attachments

• Mutant Badger.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 60

This video made me want one of those amps *badly*. Great interview and well worth watching the whole thing. I think Thornley is about the only guy to my ears that has better tone than EJ & Andy Timmons.

What's really interesting is that no two demos of this amp sound at all alike. Would love to see it make an appearance in a future update.

mmmh........this is absolutely a d-style amp....no doubts! You can hear it from all three clips here...... ;) they all share the same basic quality. If FAS brings his D-Amps without PAB and with corrected signal divider between clean preamp and overdrive stages, it would be possible to get there.....

Finally people get off the typical Robben Ford / Larry Carlton thingys when talking about D-Style amps....... ;) there are so many colors waiting for "expressive players who really working on their dynamic playing style, which sound awesome with these type of amps......

Last edited:

I used the TXStar Lead with a BB preamp. Rolled off the volume knob and did my best Eric Johnson. Peavey EVH Guitar with Suhr DSH+ in the bridge.

The hedgehog is an american voiced amp, Pete Thorn says so best. It's for Fat notes that are 'big' in the mix. Just use an american style amp and use some gain staging to adjust as necessary. The rolling off the volume takes off the top end to sound smooth and big. All the way up gets that "Skronk" you hear and gets rid of the smoothness.

What amps are d style besides the ods100?

Yeah I'd really love to see the hedge hog modeled and the 2x12 speaker as well... I think fas and suhr have a good relationship too!

I will add some input that the Suhr guitar has a ton to do with this tone. I never believed until I played one in a music store. They are like butter. Very smooth pickups that breakup very smooth. No fizzy shrill highs or tubby lows. YEs, they can be stratty but definitely more smooth across the spectrum.

This video made me want one of those amps *badly*. Great interview and well worth watching the whole thing. I think Thornley is about the only guy to my ears that has better tone than EJ & Andy Timmons.

What's really interesting is that no two demos of this amp sound at all alike. Would love to see it make an appearance in a future update.

Never heard of this guy before... But I watched that whole video. I'll be checking him out more, for sure!

Great sounding amp and player

The first vid is Andy Wood in case you didn't know, so much of that tone is Andy! The Suhr guitar helps. The amp is Suhr and they are all impressive regardless of style (british, american) and certainly when paired with their guitars. Definitely D style. Pull up the HRM 100 in the axe and brighten it a hair and you will have it.

Wow! Ian and Big Wreck never popped up on my radar before. Thanks for changing that. Ian is obviously an extremely talented gent.

Back
Top Bottom