Looking for : The best Marshall 2x12 Pre Rola IR

Anand Mahangoe

Power User
Hi fellow IR lovers !
I have used lately only the Ownhammer 4x12 MRBW GNR pack with the RAW mix of the SM57-R121........

Now i I would like to go for a more mid focused tone which the 2x12 cabs bring compared to the deeper 4x12....

Anyone a good suggestion for a Marshall 2x12 IR in the style of the Pre Rola cabs ?

Thanks a lot !!
Anand

I'm a huge fan of the 2x12 oversized Marshall cabinet in Factory Bank 1, cabinets 794–803. I think it's a 1971 Marshall Artiste 2049 (can you confirm, @austinbuddy?) with the G12M-25 speakers, and given the year, they should be on the tail end of the pre-Rola era.

I'm a huge fan of the 2x12 oversized Marshall cabinet in Factory Bank 1, cabinets 794–803. I think it's a 1971 Marshall Artiste 2049 (can you confirm, @austinbuddy?) with the G12M-25 speakers, and given the year, they should be on the tail end of the pre-Rola era.
YES !! They are coming towards the sound I am looking for…. I used the sm57 and R121 cabs …… hope there are still some other options 💪🏼

As a work-around for the 4x12 IR’s you really like, you can try to push the middle frequencies with Cab block preamp by 0.5-3 to make the tone more ”in your face” and also lower the bass a little using either the preamp setting or cab block low cut. Remember to pick a preamp first before tweaking the preamp eq settings.

Pre-rola speakers can gain some of their life back by pushing the mids a little with a post-EQ, since they seem to lose some mids as time passes.

One close mic 1x12 speaker does not sound that much different compared to 4x12. Just a little more in your face, less bass, more mids and more clarity in high frequencies. 2x12 should stand somewhere in the middle.

Last edited:
As a work-around for the 4x12 IR’s you really like, you can try to push the middle frequencies with Cab block preamp by 0.5-3 to make the tone more ”in your face” and also lower the bass a little using either the preamp setting or cab block low cut. Remember to pick a preamp first before tweaking the preamp eq settings.

Pre-rola speakers can gain some of their life back by pushing the mids a little with a post-EQ, since they seem to lose some mids as time passes.

One close mic 1x12 speaker does not sound that much different compared to 4x12. Just a little more in your face, less bass, more mids and more clarity in high frequencies. 2x12 should stand somewhere in the middle.

Thanks a lot for posting this video : to ME it sounds much more better with the 1x12.....thats the difference I am looking for between the 'deep' sound of a 4x12 compared to the 'mids' of the 1x12 / 2x12........In a bandmix the 1x12 /2x12 would cut much more better.....will try the Cab block preamp settings !

Thanks again , appreciated !

I think that would be a good combo to have an IR of the 412 and then an IR of the 112 that would sound great together
I think Ownhammer has something like this, at least in a 2x12 …. Their Marshall 66 2x12 has a bundle with most of the speakers we use….. testing that for a while now !

Hi fellow IR lovers !
I have used lately only the Ownhammer 4x12 MRBW GNR pack with the RAW mix of the SM57-R121........

Now i I would like to go for a more mid focused tone which the 2x12 cabs bring compared to the deeper 4x12....

Anyone a good suggestion for a Marshall 2x12 IR in the style of the Pre Rola cabs ?

Thanks a lot !!
Anand
My favorite Marshall cab so far is the 2x12 Zilla Cream H 160 1 ML at Factory 2 167. I use this cab exclusively as it is the best cab IR I've heard IMO.

I didn't realize a 2x12 was more mid focused. That must be why my Marshall 1960B sounds so much better on the right side since I moved my WGS Green Berets on the right instead of on top when I only play my cab in 2x12 mode.

My favorite Marshall cab so far is the 2x12 Zilla Cream H 160 1 ML at Factory 2 167. I use this cab exclusively as it is the best cab IR I've heard IMO.

I didn't realize a 2x12 was more mid focused. That must be why my Marshall 1960B sounds so much better on the right side since I moved my WGS Green Berets on the right instead of on top when I only play my cab in 2x12 mode.
Ah thanks for pointing that one out….. I do have the Zilla 4x12 but will try and see how the zilla holds up again the oversized Marshall 2x12 factory cabs !

Back
Top Bottom