Looking for suggestions on a piezo-equipped electric

dukemcrae

Experienced
As the title suggests, I'm looking to take advantage of the great acoustic patches on my rig, without having to change to an acoustic guitar in the middle of my set.

I currently play an Ernie Ball MusicMan BFR Silhouette as my main guitar, and it is set up with two humbuckers and a single coil in the middle. I frickin love this guitar.

I've looked into installing the Graph Tech™ ghost® piezo saddles, but I don't want to have to route out my guitar for a battery, or any boards, and I know I can avoid making any room for a battery by using the Fishman rechargeable battery term cover:
http://www.fishman.com/products/series/fluence/stratrechargeablebatterypack.php
And I'm hoping I could fit the boards inside the guitar.

With all the work that I would have to do to my guitar, I'm wondering if I should switch to a new guitar with a Piezo built-in.

I prefer a strat-style guitar, and was looking at a Parker Fly DF1024:
http://www.parkerguitars.com/products/mfradial/DF1024.html

And a Godin XTSA:
http://www.godinguitars.com/godinxtsap.htm
Even though it's not a Strat-style guitar.

Looking for suggestions and any thoughts people have. I've played a Parker Fly before, and thought it was cool/felt nice, Although the neck was too flat for my liking, it still played fantastic!

Carvin (Kessel) offers a piezo option. I have a DC400 with the piezo option. It is a pretty versatile guitar. I also have a PRS Hollowbody II with a piezo. Excellent instrument, but pricey and certainly not a Strat. The Hollowbody II is a superb instrument, and certainly much better quality than the Carvin, but the Carvin is more versatile as it has coil splitters for both the neck and bridge pickup as well as the piezo. It is an extremely versatile guitar. The PRS holds its value but the Carvin does not. I hope this is helpful rather than just adding to your dilemma.

Maybe look at another Music Man or a Brian Moore USA model - I agree with geezerjohn...Carvin and Parker make wonderful instruments but the resale value can be shockingly low.

I have a Brian Moore C90P and a Music Man JPX both with piezo systems - definitely workhorse guitars

I have two Brian Moore's. Both Korean made. They're my gigging guitars. You can get them used for a reasonably good price. There are a few Strat types out there. Pretty thin neck though. Good luck.

I have a PRS P245 Semi-Hollow which is a great guitar with piezo, and it works great with my Ax8. But it's certainly not a Strat style. I would look into a PRS P22 or P24 depending on how close to a Strat you want to go.

My fav piezo guitars out there are the music man guitars. I have played every model with a piezo except the Axis Super Sport. Especially being that your main guitar is a music man I def say get another music man with piezo.

I have heard the piezo on the PRS P22 is supposed to be pretty cool. I have played many other guitars with piezo and over all I liked ones with Ghost system or LR Baggs the best over the fishman ones

I'm biased, owning one, but I think a hollow body gives a better piezo sound and that the PRS Hollowbody lineup is the best bang-for-buck when it comes to hollow guitars that can cover a lot of ground.

Thank you for all of the excellent suggestions – I might look at a new music man, but I'm going to go try all of these at my local guitar store first! You guys are the best!

Back
Top Bottom