looking for solo sound.

rusman75089

hey guys, when it comes to dialing in the rhythm on rock and heavy metal i do a pretty good job but it seems that when it comes to the solo tone its a whole different story. most of the time i get a ice picking sound on the higher notes and it feels like the guitar is fighting me. i have used drive pedals and changed the eq of the amps that i have messed with. does anyone have a patch out there that they can shoot my way so i can get some idea where i'm going wrong. thanks everyone.

If you're getting ice-pick stuff, you need ore mids and less top end.

As for presets, look in the first bank of the factory presets for something that's in the ballpark, then tweak from there.

I cant recommend a preset but please do consider different cabinet sims and mics.

Regards,

which preset would you recomend?
That depends so much on personal taste that you'll have to trust your ears. You'll reject many of the presets out of hand, because they're way different from what you're looking for. You can go through the whole bank in about ten minutes. It's well worth your time.

Based on what you've said & the fact that you're happy with your rhythm sound, here is the best advice I can give ya.

It's actually a fairly simple process for ya and can be fun & rewarding. The goal here is for you and your sound to stand out, be clear and articulate without standing out like a soar thumb or blowing the audience's eardrums out.

There are a few things you can do to achieve this. I'd like to note that it's also important to keep the same general tone to some degree unless that's something your trying to go for. The same general tone also keeps your frequencys sitting properly in the mix.

1. EQ: Give yourself a Mid & Mid-High Boost. The Frequencys ya wanna boost are going to be from 800-1000kHz & around 4000kHz. Between 800-1000 will give you fullness and really help you stand out without mud & around 4k will give ya sparkle & articulation without being piercing or 'ice-picking' listeners ears. *these are real good starting points for EQ and are not set in stone, you may have to go higher or lower depending on what you're starting with. Usually a boost of about +3dB should be enough with a modest Q if you're using a Parametric EQ.

2. Effects: Adding some subtle effects will also help ya stand out. I like a 1/4 note TAP Tempo Delay a lot of times. It helps smooth a lead out and gives it some space and richness. It's important to keep it subtle though, (not a lot of repeats, or level) just enough so it there but not apparent, using a tap will keep your repeats in time which, first off makes it seem like you know what you're doing, and will help keep it subtle and fat.
You can also add in a detune pitch shifter somewhere around 3-6 cents and 30-40% mix. That'll fatten ya up, add some spacial dimension without sounding too chorusy or washy. You can also achieve this with a chorus or a micro-delay, and they all have their own flavor while being very similar in how they sound. Kinda' like different flavors of Vanilla Ice Cream, they're all vanilla but they all taste a little different.

3. Drive/OD/Dist: If ya need Gain, well then ya can always add a stomper in before the amp. Personally, I always prefer to do a X/Y amp and get my gain from the amp, but that's just how I approach it. I still almost 100% of the time will add at least EQ to help it cut. I feel it's more natural sounding and usually sits better with getting a little extra volume from the eq boost than just an overall boost. Seems to me I'm not quite as loud, so it's easier on the ears but yet still stand out nicely. IMO, there's nothing worse than being too loud in the mix. Kinda' makes it look like, "Hey everybody, look at ME!!!" Ya wanna blow people away with your playing, not your volume :))

Hope this helps ya a bit. Just remember, there is no right way or wrong way. I've seen guys do stuff that I thought before hand, "Oh, boy, this is gunna be rough, and to my suprise worked wonderfully, on the other hand, I've seen dudes walk into a local bar gig with a 20 thousand dollar rig and couldn't get a decent tone to save their life, let alone a deceent lead tone.

Reactions: Rex
Hey Perdikament,

thanks for your valuable input and the effort you put into writing this down in great detail. I wil definately check out your settings this weekend.

Hey Perdikament,

thanks for your valuable input and the effort you put into writing this down in great detail. I wil definately check out your settings this weekend.

No problem, I just thought of one more thing, one of the more obvious things. Compression, adding in some compression will also help you keep a consistent level. Some people tend to take it for granted, but when used correctly, is a tremendous help.

Also, having a good sound guy, but that's not really in your control. A good sound guy on a good PA can make or break ya!

Aside from playin guitar for goin on 30 years now & doing sound for many many years, I've come to realize just how important a good PA & sound guy is.

I do appreciate the advice perdikament that really helps me. When you solo with the amp distortion, do you leave the amp settings the same and add the eq on the end or do you change your amp eq settings? That seems to be the way that I like to try.

I do appreciate the advice perdikament that really helps me. When you solo with the amp distortion, do you leave the amp settings the same and add the eq on the end or do you change your amp eq settings? That seems to be the way that I like to try.

I place a PEQ right after the amp & cab block (assuming that you place your cab block directly after the amp block). So: [AMP]-[CAB]-[PEQ]. I've seen some people place the cab block at the very end of the chain, in that case I'd place it directly after the Amp block.

I prefer using a PEQ cause I have more control, but that's not to say using the EQ in the AMP block is wrong, it does save a block & probably a little CPU. And now that there's more EQ options in the AMP block in the new FW, I'll probably try using that a little more.

hey guys, when it comes to dialing in the rhythm on rock and heavy metal i do a pretty good job but it seems that when it comes to the solo tone its a whole different story. most of the time i get a ice picking sound on the higher notes and it feels like the guitar is fighting me. i have used drive pedals and changed the eq of the amps that i have messed with. does anyone have a patch out there that they can shoot my way so i can get some idea where i'm going wrong. thanks everyone.

I just dialed in a nice smooth electric lead sound on my Axe II - it has a Santana like lead tone. I play through a Matrix Q12a FRFR speaker. Play thru a neck humbucker pickup with the tone rolled down a bit. Give it a try and see if it works for you.

Axe-Change - Download Preset - EB USA 1 v2 - by guitar32

One thing that I tried was hitting the fat switch and increasing the gain a little. That way seem to work pretty well with some amps. Others I did the same thing but placed a drive pedal with others. They sound pretty clean and not to stressful on the ears. Thanks to everyone for the help.

Back
Top Bottom