Looking For Recommendations for External Two-Switch Set-Up

You're correct that the standard FM3 button set-up uses hold on either the left or right switch to advance or move backward in views.

If you combine this with the Views function, you get tap and hold features on all the sets in the view :) ... you can effectively get the OMG9 setup working from just the FM3 and an external switch.

Paztag is working on a version of OMG3:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...itches-by-themselves-to-do-everything.161070/

I'm pretty sure this is the tutorial from Chris where he talks about his preference with external switches. I asked the question during live chat!

Check out at around the 15 minute mark - this is where he starts talking about Views on an external switch. At around the 18 minute mark he talks about running two external switches. The 20 minute mark is the money shot! It's worth subscribing to his channel....

Hope this helps ...

Here's how I have my 2 button stand in switch set up for performing, where I only need to change presets between songs, then scenes while playing.

Switch 1 tap/hold: View +/-
Switch 2 tap: tuner-mute + layout link to preset layout
Switch 2 hold: MLM

Alternative for when at home just messing around:

Switch 1 tap/hold: View +/-
Switch 2 tap: layout +1, currently limited to 2/3 with wrap (scenes/FX) - easy way to step through layouts to access what you need quickly instead of going to MLM
Switch 2 hold: tuner + layout link to preset layout

I rarely use tap tempo but have a button assigned to it in my scenes layout, I just need to change views to get to it. The possibilities are (almost) endless to make things work for what you need to do!
Clever use of switch 2, in both cases. :)

Has anyone got the hold function working with one of these? I find if I set the Hold function it overrides the press one
Make sure the Normally Open/Closed parameter matches your switches.

Last edited:
I had to do this with mine. Go to I/O and then over to pedal setup. Under switch settings I changed the setting from normally closed to normally open. Fixed the hold/tap issue.

Brilliant thanks, took me a while to find it (I have the switches plugged into my FC6), but fixed it - thank you so much

My 2-Button footswitch is configured:

Switch 1- Tap = View Inc/Dec / Hold = Preset Layout (View 1)
Switch 2- Tap = Scenes / Hold = Effects Layout (View 1)

The FM3's Preset switches are configured with a Layout Link to my Effects Layout (view 1).
The View Inc/Dec upper limit is set to 2 and 'Wrap' is activated to essentially turn it into a View 'Toggle'.

My 2-Button footswitch is configured:

Switch 1- Tap = View Inc/Dec / Hold = Preset Layout (View 1)
Switch 2- Tap = Scenes / Hold = Effects Layout (View 1)

The FM3's Preset switches are configured with a Layout Link to my Effects Layout (view 1).
The View Inc/Dec upper limit is set to 2 and 'Wrap' is activated to essentially turn it into a View 'Toggle'.

Thanks. I'll have to look into the wrap functionality.

Hi, I have axe 2. Allows one external switch. Can someone tell me if the dual switch mosky would switch amp a/b? Could one press turn on a say on the left switch and it change to 'b' on the right? Or would one switch mosky switch between a/b with ONE press each time? thanks.

I'm planning to install a two button footswitch. Is it possible to assign one of the switches as follows:

Press ==> turn on/off GEQ block (2-3 db boost)
Hold ==> Flip between Looper view and Screens view

Thanks!

I'm planning to install a two button footswitch. Is it possible to assign one of the switches as follows:

Press ==> turn on/off GEQ block (2-3 db boost)
Hold ==> Flip between Looper view and Screens view

Thanks!
You can definitely have a stand in switch turn a block on and off. I do this to toggle a pedal I have hooked up in the loop (out/in 2) with a multiplexer block.

Switching between Looper and Scenes would work also by having it switch between layers. If your Scenes layer is adjacent to your Looper layer, then set the switch function to Inc / Dec with the lower and upper limits set to those scene numbers and select Wrap. For example, if Scenes is layout 2 and Looper is layout 3, set the lower limit to 2 and the upper limit to 3. Pressing the button will essentially toggle between those two layers at that point.

So if all goes well I should have my FM3 in a few weeks. I have some ideas on how I want to build my set-up, but I'm hoping to get some suggestions from the experienced Fractal folks on this forum. This is my first Fractal product. I currently use an Elevenrack with a FCB-1010 for one band and a Boss Katana set up for another.

My primary usage will be live situations. Though I may end up getting an FC6 or something else at some point, I think my initial set up will be the FM3 with an external two-button switch (as two stand-in switches) and one expression pedal (I have a couple of EV-5s). I'll likely put a passive volume pedal at the front of the chain, so plan to assign the expression pedal for various functions like wah or delay mix.

From what I've read, I'm guessing I'll mostly want to do a bunch of scene switching live, but I also use a lot of delay so really want a dedicated tap tempo button. It seems like I'll want to use the FM3 switches for scene navigation and set up one of the external switches for tap tempo and tuner (on hold). Not sure about the other one.

Anyway, I know a few folks on various threads have opted for the external two-button switch option, so I'm interested in suggestions for set-ups I may want to try out. I've looked through some of the other threads, but it is hard to get a focused discussion on exactly how people are using these from these discussions.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I'm using a simple Mosky dual switch with a TSR cable.

With some help I got it to have different behavior for the tap and hold functions on each switch as follows:

the three steps can be thought of in this order:
1) tell the FM-3 what kind of external switch you have hooked up.
2) create (or find an existing) switch in a layout that has the desired tap and hold actions.
3) use “stand in switch” to map the external switch to the right layout switch.

Details for the Mosky switch setup:

1) The switch had to be set for "follow hardware" and "normally open/momentary make" in the SETUP menu, I/O sub-menu, pedal sub-menu. This let it trigger different behavior for "tap" and "hold"

2) If an existing switch in a layout does what you want already, you just need to know which layout and switch it is and don’t have to change anything in this step. In my case, I had to modify a "phantom switch" (in the master layout #9; I used switches 10 and 11, which are not used since I don’t have a foot controller attached) to have the desired custom behavior for both the tap switch and hold switch functions for each switch. I used FM-3 Edit to do this edit; then saved it. Use of a “phantom switch” means that nothing changes in the existing switch layouts.

3) I used the "stand-in switch" functions (on the FM-3 FC Controllers menu on the unit) to map the two external switch (hardware) buttons (e.g. tip and ring on Switch 2 in my case) onto the two phantom switches (e.g. layout 9; switches 10 and 11) that were set up in step 2 to have the desired custom behavior for tap and hold.

this is a very flexible way to do things, but not as intuitive as it might be because the steps are described in three different parts of the manual. It does let you get a lot of flexibility out of a $20 switch.

Last edited:
the three steps can be thought of in this order:
1) tell the FM-3 what kind of external switch you have hooked up.
2) create (or find an existing) switch in a layout that has the desired tap and hold actions.
3) use “stand in switch” to map the external switch to the right layout switch.

Details for the Mosky switch setup:

1) The switch had to be set for "follow hardware" and "normally open/momentary make" in the I/O menu, pedal submenu. This let it trigger different behavior for "tap" and "hold"

Hi Philo/All - I'm having a problem with my external 2 switch pedal; whether I tape or hold, it is defaulting to my hold function setting. I'm guessing I need to do step 1) Philo described above.

I went into the FM3 menu for "FC Controllers/Onboard Switches" and tried to find the submenu to set the settings: "follow hardware" and "normally open/momentary make". But I can't seem to find where to select those options. Can you provide a bit more detail please? Thank you!

It's in the SETUP menu, then in the I/O submenu (NOT the FC Controllers/Onboard Switches submenu), and then in the PEDAL submenu.

I have two of these and they work great!
One for bank Up/ down, the other for Tuner
Uses one trs cable, $18 on EBay

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 10
My favorite use for external switches is Bank Up and Bank Down.
Hi amigo! Could you please explain to me how to set that with the OMG9?? I have one dual mosky connected to the fc6 with a trs
And i m a bit confused on how to do it correctly..!
thanks a lot !

Back
Top Bottom