Looking For Recommendations for External Two-Switch Set-Up

TheloniusJ

Experienced
So if all goes well I should have my FM3 in a few weeks. I have some ideas on how I want to build my set-up, but I'm hoping to get some suggestions from the experienced Fractal folks on this forum. This is my first Fractal product. I currently use an Elevenrack with a FCB-1010 for one band and a Boss Katana set up for another.

My primary usage will be live situations. Though I may end up getting an FC6 or something else at some point, I think my initial set up will be the FM3 with an external two-button switch (as two stand-in switches) and one expression pedal (I have a couple of EV-5s). I'll likely put a passive volume pedal at the front of the chain, so plan to assign the expression pedal for various functions like wah or delay mix.

From what I've read, I'm guessing I'll mostly want to do a bunch of scene switching live, but I also use a lot of delay so really want a dedicated tap tempo button. It seems like I'll want to use the FM3 switches for scene navigation and set up one of the external switches for tap tempo and tuner (on hold). Not sure about the other one.

Anyway, I know a few folks on various threads have opted for the external two-button switch option, so I'm interested in suggestions for set-ups I may want to try out. I've looked through some of the other threads, but it is hard to get a focused discussion on exactly how people are using these from these discussions.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:
I received my FM3 last week. Love it so far. I have an Analog Endeavors AUX2AE Controller. I am using it to change presets -/+ (tap) and banks -/+ (hold). But of course that could change after spending more time with it.

Boss FS-6 is what I use. One cable, two switches, many options.
I use the two switches to avoid touching the FM3 switches when possible.
It always comes in handy as a quick MUTE for changing guitars.

Last edited:
it is hard to get a focused discussion on exactly how people are using these

I configured the stand-in switches to have one button for tap tempo (tap) and tuner (hold), while the other button (tap) takes me to a specific preset which I use a lot both for rehearsal and live - waiting for the set list feature to become available on the FC and FM3 “soon”.

That leaves me with a hold function I could use for other purposes (on the FC-6 stand-in switch connected to the Axe-FX III I use it for accessing the Master Layout Menu).

Chris has done some good tutorials on this. I think he recommends tap/tuner on one switch, and Views on the other.

If I understand Views properly, this lets you "view" the next set of three foot switches, and then the next. If you set up Views to show three sets, think of this as having the FM3, with an FM6 right next to it. View 1 shows the FM3 (for example, set to Presets, Scenes, Effects), and then the top set of three (eg, from an FC-6), and then the next set of three. Happy to be corrected ..

I also have an Eleven Rack, and am on the AU waitlist for an FM3. PM me with your thoughts when you get your unit, or better still, post back in the forum with a comparison ...

Boss FS-6 is what I use. One cable, two switches, many options.
I use the two switches to avoid touching the FM3 switches when possible.
It always comes in handy as a quick MUTE for changing guitars.

Thanks!

Just curious why you want to avoid the FM3 switches? Is there a concern about their lifetime?

I configured the stand-in switches to have one button for tap tempo (tap) and tuner (hold), while the other button (tap) takes me to a specific preset which I use a lot both for rehearsal and live - waiting for the set list feature to become available on the FC and FM3 “soon”.

That leaves me with a hold function I could use for other purposes (on the FC-6 stand-in switch connected to the Axe-FX III I use it for accessing the Master Layout Menu).

Awesome. Thanks.

So are you using the FM3 switches for scenes or for something else?

Chris has done some good tutorials on this. I think he recommends tap/tuner on one switch, and Views on the other.

If I understand Views properly, this lets you "view" the next set of three foot switches, and then the next. If you set up Views to show three sets, think of this as having the FM3, with an FM6 right next to it. View 1 shows the FM3 (for example, set to Presets, Scenes, Effects), and then the top set of three (eg, from an FC-6), and then the next set of three. Happy to be corrected ..

I also have an Eleven Rack, and am on the AU waitlist for an FM3. PM me with your thoughts when you get your unit, or better still, post back in the forum with a comparison ...

Thanks for this. I'll have to look up the tutorials you are talking about.

As I understand it, views can be various things, but I had thought about having views which are sets of three scenes. I think a standard FM3 button set-up is using hold on either the left or right switch to advance or move backward in views.

In any event, I appreciate the response.

Awesome. Thanks.

So are you using the FM3 switches for scenes or for something else?

Still waiting for FAS to allow the EU reseller to ship my already paid, long awaited FM3 (long story, dedicated thread). I'm planning to use the FM3 switches as follows:

• Switch 1) tap -> Scene 1 / hold -> preset down
  • Switch 2) tap -> Scene 2 / hold -> none
  • Switch 3) tap -> Scene 3 / hold -> preset up
Perhaps I'll use Switch 3 to toggle between Scene 3 and Scene 4. That's all I need, basically. I never change preset during a song, and I use scenes 99% of the time to change my sounds. That's pretty much the same setup I have on my FC-6/Axe-FX III, only with a few more switches for like +10 presets up/down, toggle on/off some Blocks on specific presets.

I was messing with my new setup this morning. I have a 2 button switch and one expression pedal. I had a Behringer fs112gmx hanging around that I use for my Roland Cube and a Mooer EP3 I just got.
I currently have my stand in switch setup for:
tap 1 = scene 1 (clean)
hold 1 = scene 2 (edge of breakup)
tap 2 = scene 3 (heavy rhythm)
hold 2 = scene 4 (solo)

Then I have the FM3 displaying the effects layout so I can turn stuff off and on there. I may add tap to this view as well. I'm pretty new to this, so I'm not sure if I will stick with this arrangement yet.

I was messing with my new setup this morning. I have a 2 button switch and one expression pedal. I had a Behringer fs112gmx hanging around that I use for my Roland Cube and a Mooer EP3 I just got.
I currently have my stand in switch setup for:
tap 1 = scene 1 (clean)
hold 1 = scene 2 (edge of breakup)
tap 2 = scene 3 (heavy rhythm)
hold 2 = scene 4 (solo)

Then I have the FM3 displaying the effects layout so I can turn stuff off and on there. I may add tap to this view as well. I'm pretty new to this, so I'm not sure if I will stick with this arrangement yet.

Cool. Thanks for the input.

Do you have any concerns about using a hold action to get into your solo? Reading the menu it seems like they recommend hold functions for things that don't require precise timing. I tend to be really like having my ability to jump in and out of my solo tone be really precise.

In any event, I'd be interested in how you end up liking this set-up. Thanks again!

Cool. Thanks for the input.

Do you have any concerns about using a hold action to get into your solo? Reading the menu it seems like they recommend hold functions for things that don't require precise timing. I tend to be really like having my ability to jump in and out of my solo tone be really precise.

In any event, I'd be interested in how you end up liking this set-up. Thanks again!

I have pretty limited experience with it at this point, but it seems like there is a fairly predictable time to engage like half a second or so. Maybe there is a way to make it engage in release? I think I read something about that at some point. That would be pretty helpful for scene switching or fx on and off with the hold function. I am pretty sure the tap function triggers on release.

Here's how I have my 2 button stand in switch set up for performing, where I only need to change presets between songs, then scenes while playing.

Switch 1 tap/hold: View +/-
Switch 2 tap: tuner-mute + layout link to preset layout
Switch 2 hold: MLM

Alternative for when at home just messing around:

Switch 2 tap: layout +1, currently limited to 2/3 with wrap (scenes/FX) - easy way to step through layouts to access what you need quickly instead of going to MLM
Switch 2 hold: tuner + layout link to preset layout

I rarely use tap tempo but have a button assigned to it in my scenes layout, I just need to change views to get to it. The possibilities are (almost) endless to make things work for what you need to do!

Here's how I have my 2 button stand in switch set up for performing, where I only need to change presets between songs, then scenes while playing.

Switch 2 tap: tuner-mute + layout link to preset layout
Switch 2 hold: MLM

Alternative for when at home just messing around:

Switch 2 tap: layout +1, currently limited to 2/3 with wrap (scenes/FX) - easy way to step through layouts to access what you need quickly instead of going to MLM
Switch 2 hold: tuner + layout link to preset layout

I rarely use tap tempo but have a button assigned to it in my scenes layout, I just need to change views to get to it. The possibilities are (almost) endless to make things work for what you need to do!

Thanks!

Thanks!

Just curious why you want to avoid the FM3 switches? Is there a concern about their lifetime?
Switches are solid on the FM3. Using the FM3 for presets and scenes if needed. It's my take on trying to keep it as simple as possible. Results may vary depending on your idea of simple.

Back
Top Bottom