Looking for recommendations - audio interface

SJB

Inspired
Hi Gang!
After several years of good performance, my Phonic Firefly 808U is distorting and going south. I figure I will be replacing it soon. Does anyone have any recommendations for the latest and greatest on a moderate budget?
Thanks in advance for advice/recommendations.
Steve

I think I paid about $400 for the phonic, so my budget about there, plus or minus $150. I'm open to better quality used, and wondering if USB 3.0 is the way to go.

Iaresee - thanks for the link - I'll check it out.

I use a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. Not exactly high end, but cheap and gets the job done. The Scarlett line gets good reviews.

Reactions: SJB
The question is impossible to answer...

What do you plan on using it for? doing? recording? recording what? recording how?

There's too many variables and questions to answer...

Do you need 2 tracks at once or 16?
And even if you only need 2 tracks do you want 16? (like me)

Without knowing anything- I'd recommend an Apollo Quad, Apollo Twin, Saffire 56 or Saffire Pro 40.
On the other hand a 003+ still isn't bad, 003 Console still ain't bad either and they can be bought for literally nothing.

I also don't mind the Scarlett series

The D/A converters on the Apollo stuff is so good- it brought tracks to life that were 10 years old I did with previous bands with an M-Box

Ok, I fully admit, my question was pretty open-ended. But, Jeries, you're like Mr. Scott in Star Trek - you told me it was impossible, and then you did it anyway!

So, my Phonic 808 is an 8-input AI. I use 1 and 2 inputs for tracking ideas, and scratch-tracking songs, and I use all 8 inputs for live recordings. So I would be looking for something with 8 channels.

I appreciate the input thus far - I don't know very much about what's available and what's reliable. And I don't fully trust reviews posted at vendor sites. Just want to avoid spending cash on junk.
Thanks!

If you want/need SPDIF, that will narrow it down quite a bit.

If you don't, I don't think there is a better buy under $500 than the new(ish) Behringer U-Phoria line: the UMC202HD, UMC204HD, and UMC404HD. Do a search over at gearslutz and I don't think there is a bad review. Everyone says the Midas preamps are stellar, it's quiet, and it will do 192.

Personally, I use the Native Instruments Audio Komplete 6 (it does have SPDIF), and it's been rock solid.

...or you can buy one of the usual brands already recommended.

You don't need USB3.0 to track 8 channels, it just really helps. I've tracked 8 inputs simultaneously on my Scarlett 18i20 (USB 2.0) at 48khz/24-bit, but I did have to keep the sample buffer high (too high for real-time monitoring, which was fine because no one was using software instruments to track).

If you've got firewire, then the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 is as solid as it gets for that price range. It's been around for a while and you'd be very hard pressed to find a negative review. Fantastic value at $400 new.

I have to mention something- not really audio interface related- but I've never had luck with USB 3.0 stuff... drivers, hardware- all windows based- between my desktops and laptops, etc.

I think USB 2.0 should still be able to handle 8 tracks but- I think at this point firewire is a little more stable.

If you want/need SPDIF, that will narrow it down quite a bit.

If you don't, I don't think there is a better buy under $500 than the new(ish) Behringer U-Phoria line: the UMC202HD, UMC204HD, and UMC404HD. Do a search over at gearslutz and I don't think there is a bad review. Everyone says the Midas preamps are stellar, it's quiet, and it will do 192.

Personally, I use the Native Instruments Audio Komplete 6 (it does have SPDIF), and it's been rock solid.

...or you can buy one of the usual brands already recommended.

@benvigil You mentioned using the Komplete Audio 6 -- I have it as well. Have you been successful in connecting your AX8 to it via s/pdif? Reason I ask is cause I've had problems with it that neither Fractal nor Native Instruments have been able to solve.

@benvigil You mentioned using the Komplete Audio 6 -- I have it as well. Have you been successful in connecting your AX8 to it via s/pdif? Reason I ask is cause I've had problems with it that neither Fractal nor Native Instruments have been able to solve.

I have it and it works. It just doesn't allow direct monitoring of the digital input and it requires me to de- and reselect external sync when the PC is started with the AX8 connected via SPDIF

I have it and it works. It just doesn't allow direct monitoring of the digital input and it requires me to de- and reselect external sync when the PC is started with the AX8 connected via SPDIF

@benvigil And you said you are on a PC, right? I am on a Mac myself, and for some reason the Komplete Audio 6 incorrectly identifies the AX8 as a 44.1k device, rather than 48k. Tried everything, and have spoken to both Fractal and Native Instruments about it, but have not found a solution.

That seems to be a bug in the device driver or control panel. It shows 44.1k on my system too and forced me to set the sample rate in Reaper to 48k

Update: as soon as I play an MP3 file through the interface it updates the control panel to show 48k

Last edited:
@benvigil And you said you are on a PC, right? I am on a Mac myself, and for some reason the Komplete Audio 6 incorrectly identifies the AX8 as a 44.1k device, rather than 48k. Tried everything, and have spoken to both Fractal and Native Instruments about it, but have not found a solution.
No, I'm on a Mac. I ended up selling the KA6 and picking up a UMC404HD, but I never used anything but the native macOS drivers for the KA6.

Did you see this thread?

No, I'm on a Mac. I ended up selling the KA6 and picking up a UMC404HD, but I never used anything but the native macOS drivers for the KA6.

Did you see this thread?

@benvigil Just out of curiosity, when you still had the KA6, were you able to use your AX8 via s/pdif on your Mac? The problem I'm having is within Audio MIDI Setup -- once I select External Sync, it incorrectly identifies the AX8 as 44.1k, rather than 48k, and neither Pro Tools nor Logic can make any sense of it after that.

Back
Top Bottom