Looking for FRFR for bass

henryrobinett

Fractal Fanatic
I have a studio/rehearsal place. Most of the time, especially post covid lockdown, we've been rehearsing/recording isolated. But I want to get back into playing in one room again. I have a FM3 I kept for the bass rig. I have two pairs of XiTone wedges for guitar (FM9) and keyboards. I just want a small FRFR for bass. Since it's full range anything should work, right? I'd get another XiTone but the wait list seems pretty intense now. Any suggestions either what to get or what NOT to get? It's going to be for both electric and upright bass. Some of my upright bass players don't like 15" for bass and prefers 12" or even 10" speakers. Not going to be ear bleed volume. Thanks.

Why don't you play through your current Xitone wedges? I play both my guitars and my bass through a 12" Xitone wedge.
If you just want a separate setup any FRFR should work at the volume you're describing.

Why don't you play through your current Xitone wedges? I play both my guitars and my bass through a 12" Xitone wedge.
If you just want a separate setup any FRFR should work at the volume you're describing.
Yes. Absolutely. That's what I have done. But I want both the pair of wedges I have to play in stereo - one for guitar and the other for keyboards. Overkill? LOL. So I need a single just for bass.

Yes. Absolutely. That's what I have done. But I want both the pair of wedges I have to play in stereo - one for guitar and the other for keyboards. Overkill? LOL. So I need a single just for bass.
I have 3 passive wedges. I'm using the EV PXM-12MPs these days.

If you're interested in a passive Xitone, let me know... I'll make you a good deal.

I'm using Atomic CLRs and they work for bass with a moderate drummer. True they have a bit of a bass rolloff but that just means I do not step on the kick drum or guitar player's frequency ranges. YMMV

Live I actually prefer using a bass amp as my monitor, so I can feel a bit of punch in the back of my legs...

But in the studio I'm using an AccuGroove Tri112+ as an FRFR for bass.

That being said I've also had no issue in practice settings, using an Atomic CLR or 2 QSC K10.2 (but I did ensure volume stayed reasonable....)

Last edited:
I've had pretty good luck with an original version pair of passive CLRs on bass, with a generous amount power behind them. They get very loud, and as @dr bonkers mentioned, they naturally roll off below 80hz. On stage, they easily keep up with drums, 2 guitars, and keyboards. The Active CLRs sound good but go into hard limiting when pushed using bass, so I use mine at home for tone creating.

Back
Top Bottom