Looking for fat sounding strat PU with fat sound

lauke-lux

Fractal Fanatic
Hi there,

Made the decision to change the PU on my fender jap strat deluxe from 1985. I bought it in 85 as a double fat strat. It has a Floyd Rose and string locks. I changed the PU to SC in 2006. Got me some chubtones 1963 with custom hybrid stagger by then (unfortunately he doesn't produce anymore PU since a few years) but they're very low output types and I want a bit fatter sound on these now, still keeping a good Fender quack.

I use Martin Darco electric 011 strings or D'addario XL 011. However...

Anybody some advise on a good sounding brand & type of SC PU for operating the change ?

I would Check out fralin and lollar pickups. Great stuff right up that alley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks to the three of you for responding. I only can rely on the few sound samples available on the net, but from what I hear the Fralin Vintage Hots seem a good choice for me. What's this base plate thing BTW ?
Thanks again.
Cheers

I had fralins on my strat and loved them. I'm not sure about single coils, I use their humbuckers, but suhr makes great pickups too. Might want to check those out too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 on the SD quarter pounder..... I just ordered an SSL-4 for my Charvel project I'm working on. Have a couple in my other Charvels for the neck pup

I find the Duncan QP to loose the stratiness. It does sound good and drives an amp really good; especially a Marshall head.

But if you want to retaint the stratiness of the pup, not so much, for my taste.

I put a DiMarzio Injector set into a strat. Most humbucker-sounding "real" single coils I've ever heard. By real I mean they are not humbuckers in singlesize...

Back
Top Bottom