Looking for encoder style controllers

Narzugon

Power User
Around the holidays I stumbled across the Arturia Beatstep. Price was right and I thought it would be able to send Sysex messages. I got it in today and nada. Which is a shame. It's built like a tank and retails at $100.

https://www.arturia.com/beatstep/overview

I was hoping to send Sysex msg's to the Axe to control some things that aren't assignable (Tone stack of an amp for example).

So I've been looking into various control surfaces that are in the $100 range. Novation has the Launch Control and Launch Control XL. I "think" the latter can send Sysex but I'm not totally sure. Do any of you have any experience with these types of controllers? I can't afford a used RAC12 so I'm looking for the next best thing.

Good call Al I had forgotten about it. I remember reading about that back when he first began that project. This will sound like a stupid question but does MidyAx actually write/configure the BCR so you don't need a computer after you've configured it? Or does it merely intercept data sent from the BCR and converts it to sysex for the Axe to understand? I never seen a definitive statement.

Through my morning and now afternoon running through these rabbit holes I stumbled across BC Manager. Do you know anything about this application? https://mountainutilities.eu/bcmanager

One thing I found interesting was amongst all of the editing features it offers:

" A ‘SysEx preprocessor’: for many MIDI devices (e.g. many models by Fractal Audio, Roland/BOSS, Waldorf and Yamaha) it is possible to use special ‘SysEx model definition files’: in this way you only have to tell BC Manager which parameter of a specific synthesizer (etc.) you want to assign to a particular button, encoder or fader on your B-Control, and BC Manager’s SysEx preprocessor generates the appropriate MIDI System Exclusive message definition automatically."

Thanks \m/

I don't know more but i highly doubt a device not developed specifically for this will be able to generate axefx sysex with their crc and very specific values...

Back
Top Bottom