looking for autowah/mutron like old pat martino joyous lake

I play in a band that covers a lot of Grateful Dead songs.

I've been chasing a Garcia mutron tone for a while.

Here is what I am doing right now. A volume block and filter block in parallel in front of the amp.

Both the frequency and Q of the filter are controlled by the envelope / pick dynamics.

mutron.jpg

Last edited:
This is an XL+ patch, but I have a II also. I plan on updating it tomorrow evening to Q2. I'll convert the patch then if no else has.

not as wide as the clip I posted
A better response would have been: "That's not as wide a sweep as the clip I posted, can you help me learn how to match that clip?"

We're not going to do your work for you.

But we'll happily help you learn how to get to where you want to go if you can put your questions and responses in to a form that endear people to your cause and wanting to help you.

Try this:

Screen Shot 2016-02-07 at 10.37.17 AM.png Screen Shot 2016-02-07 at 10.37.20 AM.png Screen Shot 2016-02-07 at 10.37.25 AM.png

And then roll your volume back when you're playing the filter. The envelope response gets a little less snappy when the volume and treble content in the signal aren't as high and you can really lay in to get that big open-and-close sweep without the filter just opening up and staying open. And remember: it's envelope controlled so you have to create an envelope. Make sure there's a good staccato to your run so the controller sees deep valleys and has a time to close the envelope.

You can play around with the envelope parameters to tune it to your guitar and playing. Keep the release fast and try increasing the attack time if you're finding it's opening up too easily.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-02-07 at 10.40.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-02-07 at 10.40.05 AM.png
    229.9 KB · Views: 5
I'm surprised that no one has commented that the filter in the clip is a BANDPASS and not a LOWPASS. This requires a totally different approach. I'll post more info tonight.

So I'd use a FILTER block (BPF) with an envelope modifying FREQUENCY, nothing more, nothing less. (I might later try a WAH so I can get a little DRIVE in there ;-)

Here's a super short clip example:

The Block and Preset are attached.

I noticed some subtle differences in the way this and my old Mutron actually work, but I would be more inclined to discuss these over a tea or a beer than online.

Attachments

• Mutron III BPF.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 32
  • Mutron BPF_20160209_193244.blk
    198 bytes · Views: 37
Last edited:
Thanks. You have a clip of that? I'd be curious

A better response would have been: "That's not as wide a sweep as the clip I posted, can you help me learn how to match that clip?"

We're not going to do your work for you.

But we'll happily help you learn how to get to where you want to go if you can put your questions and responses in to a form that endear people to your cause and wanting to help you.

Try this:

View attachment 30090 View attachment 30091 View attachment 30092

And then roll your volume back when you're playing the filter. The envelope response gets a little less snappy when the volume and treble content in the signal aren't as high and you can really lay in to get that big open-and-close sweep without the filter just opening up and staying open. And remember: it's envelope controlled so you have to create an envelope. Make sure there's a good staccato to your run so the controller sees deep valleys and has a time to close the envelope.

You can play around with the envelope parameters to tune it to your guitar and playing. Keep the release fast and try increasing the attack time if you're finding it's opening up too easily.
So I'd use a FILTER block (BPF) with an envelope modifying FREQUENCY, nothing more, nothing less. (I might later try a WAH so I can get a little DRIVE in there ;-)

Here's a super short clip example:

The Block and Preset are attached.

I noticed some subtle differences in the way this and my old Mutron actually work, but I would be more inclined to discuss these over a tea or a beer than online.

thanks, are these for ax8 or axe II?

The block is for ANY Fractal device.
The preset is an Axe-Fx II XL+ preset.

Here are my ENVELOPE settings, these will be important if you use the block.

Threshold: -67.2
Attack: 18 ms
Release 15 ms
Gain: 1.3

Want an AX8 preset?

Release 15 ms

Want an AX8 preset?

The block wouldn't load on my ax8.

Release 15 ms

Want an AX8 preset?

ax8 preset would be great...Or axefx II MK II preset.

Where do I edit the envelope settings?

so I played with matt's block. It's not as deep as the mutron and if you play fast, there's no effect. Any ideas on how to get closer?

Back
Top Bottom