Looking for an LP style guitar

Is it a problem though? Hit it with the right kind of pad and it goes back to satin. Satin is usually thinner and the guitars seem more lively.

YES!! Don't sleep on those "cheaper" satin and rubbed finishes. Those guitars can breathe!

Yup. :)

You are right. It's a 1995 Standard 22.

vmsy062zrgidr676tcc7.jpg

bkvqo1wwzkzvdwnhmrri.jpg

After 4 straight hours at my local Guitar store (Long&McQuade) had me a small room and picked all 5 guitars I wanted to try right there in the room with me. Played through an EVH 5150 el34 50 watt head into a horizontal Mesa 2x12 cab. I must say I miss the feel of that low end thump. had me thinking about poweramp/cab setup like I used to. It was glorious. I really enjoyed all the guitars actually. In the last hour I deliberated for so long between the PRS satin 22 and the Gibson Tribute Satin. I don't jive with gloss necks; today really sealed that for me. The PRS Satin 22 is awesome. I really love the Pattern Regular neck shape. Guitar is so well balanced; I like the layout with 2 knobs and 5 blade switch. Pickups were great and the neck was so well intonated etc. In the end, I stuck with my original search for an LP style guitar to fill a specific need - so I took the Gibson Tribute home. Shout out to @Henry for dropping this idea. It sounds stellar. Some slight action tweaks and I think it will be the one I keep. I was tempted too with a studio smokehouse burst..had slightly hotter bridge pickup but again, gloss neck. The Tribute has a rounded neck profile that really feels comfortable in my hands. It felt very similar to the pattern regular on the PRS. Also wider at the nut compared to the PRS which is good for my gargantuan mitts. Another added bonus is they throw in a pretty nice Leather (faux leather?) soft case along with lots of goodies inside.

Attachments

• Gibson.jpg
    Gibson.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 41
Is it a problem though? Hit it with the right kind of pad and it goes back to satin. Satin is usually thinner and the guitars seem more lively.

At the time I looked into re-satinizing it. And decided to polish instead. It’s a cheap guitar anyhow and I rarely play it. Looks cool though.

After 4 straight hours at my local Guitar store (Long&McQuade) had me a small room and picked all 5 guitars I wanted to try right there in the room with me. Played through an EVH 5150 el34 50 watt head into a horizontal Mesa 2x12 cab. I must say I miss the feel of that low end thump. had me thinking about poweramp/cab setup like I used to. It was glorious. I really enjoyed all the guitars actually. In the last hour I deliberated for so long between the PRS satin 22 and the Gibson Tribute Satin. I don't jive with gloss necks; today really sealed that for me. The PRS Satin 22 is awesome. I really love the Pattern Regular neck shape. Guitar is so well balanced; I like the layout with 2 knobs and 5 blade switch. Pickups were great and the neck was so well intonated etc. In the end, I stuck with my original search for an LP style guitar to fill a specific need - so I took the Gibson Tribute home. Shout out to @Henry for dropping this idea. It sounds stellar. Some slight action tweaks and I think it will be the one I keep. I was tempted too with a studio smokehouse burst..had slightly hotter bridge pickup but again, gloss neck. The Tribute has a rounded neck profile that really feels comfortable in my hands. It felt very similar to the pattern regular on the PRS. Also wider at the nut compared to the PRS which is good for my gargantuan mitts. Another added bonus is they throw in a pretty nice Leather (faux leather?) soft case along with lots of goodies inside.
Very nice!!!

The tribute is a great playing guitar. I was the opposite with the neck and found it too thick and bulky for my taste. The 60s/70s necks are more my preference. I know the tribute is based off of the 50s neck.

Congrats on a fine instrument.
You can still do the PRS thing and have both. I did that and don't regret it.

Congrats!! Sure is purdy!! :)

I haven't noticed that, personally. But, I also just write off guitars that aren't lively enough. And I really can't stand the matte/satin look.

I had one of the "limited edition" 59 les pauls on order for a while. But, I also found my Standard while I was waiting for it and cancelled the order. When I got the opportunity to play a couple of the Epis in a store a few weeks later, I was very happy with my choice. Those just didn't impress me in any way, and I don't think it was just the setup.

To each his/her own, though.

Aesthetically , I agree with you. Satin finish isn't my first choice but functionally its just that much easier to play. I'm definitely aiming to get a PRS sometime in the future and most of their guitars are gloss finish. If I find one I just love I could always sand the back of the neck and have the best of both worlds.

Aesthetically , I agree with you. Satin finish isn't my first choice but functionally its just that much easier to play. I'm definitely aiming to get a PRS sometime in the future and most of their guitars are gloss finish. If I find one I just love I could always sand the back of the neck and have the best of both worlds.
I know some people complain about finished necks feeling sticky. IDK...maybe that's something to do with an individual's sweat, but I've never noticed it.

My objection of satin finishes is 100% aesthetic. It seems like people think vintage guitars lose their shine over the years....and that is just plain not the case. But if you like them, especially if you think they sound better, you absolutely should completely disregard my aesthetic preferences. I mean, you should disregard my aesthetic preferences even if we agree....they're my preferences, not yours or anyone else's.

You can take some 6000 to 12000 grit sandpaper and hit the poly on the
back of a neck, and make it less sticky, and not lose the polish or impact
the look.

This is a great piece of kit to have around. I've done all the necks on my
guitars whether rubbed, nekkid, or lacquered. :)

Finishing Paper

My son bought a new Epiphone LP 1 year ago. Around $550 usd.
We took it for a proper setup with fret level crown and polish.
This is a great value in a LP and the newer headstock is much cooler in my opinion.

Last time I wanted a single cut, and after not bonding with yet another Gibson, I bought an ESP. I'm not super into the EMGs, but they aren't horrible. I plan on changing over to a SD 59 / SD Custom combo early in the new year. I love the shape, light weight, neck, really everything.

Back
Top Bottom