Looking for an LP style guitar

Thanks mate! I think the Godin neck is closest to those 90's Gibson Les Paul Classics with the 60's slim neck(I used to gig with one). It has a nice "modern D" shape to it and the gloss finish Godin uses isn't as sticky as nitro or as slick as a Jackson - I think it's someplace in between.

I’d like to try one out myself one of these days. Thanks.

Let us know what you think of the pickups please. Some people love em, some people think they sound somewhat artificial. I'm interested because noiseless and dual tones, if I like the sounds.
I spend some time last night with it and immediately sounded better than the demos I've heard online. Also sounded better at home with Axe Fx vs the amp at store. It's not as lifeless/sterile, to me, as much as its talked about online. I will say that the pickups seem to be very sensitive to height/distance to strings. More so than standard pickups. I'm not 100% sure yet if I'm liking or loving the pickups. I did sense a certain 'brittleness' characteristic after playing awhile; I'm going to plug in again tonight and try few different amps. It has a modern/paf mode with the volume knob (push/pull) that i'm also not crazy about but again little early for me to be conclusive on that. Either way, this guitar is definitely suited for hard rock/metal and not at all that 'classic' gibson tone.

update: While I enjoy the guitar itself, the neck and overall feel for the price I don't think I"m jiving with these pickups. It's ultra hot though you can dial it down there's something with the character of the tone that's not for me. To be fair this guitar is marketed for Metal so that makes sense. If i could get this guitar for few hundred less, I'd just rip out the pcb/wiring /pickups and throw in some Bare Knuckle Pickup Rebel yells or something along those lines and it'd be a great guitar for the price. Most likely returning the guitar this week and will continue my search...

That sucks. Not surprised about the pickups, though. I was so excited to have them in a
guitar when I bought it, but then at home I couldn't get anything decent out of them. I
agree there is just something in them that you can't dial out.

Hey Chewie if you see any PRS SE245s play one. Necks are big at least on the Korean made guitars. Mines a soapbar but I’m considering getting a humbucker 245 too. Super comfortable to me but at first I was not liking the neck. I expected the same wide fat as on my 06 PRS. They’re cheap enough to upgrade pickups on if needed.

Hey Chewie if you see any PRS SE245s play one. Necks are big at least on the Korean made guitars. Mines a soapbar but I’m considering getting a humbucker 245 too. Super comfortable to me but at first I was not liking the neck. I expected the same wide fat as on my 06 PRS. They’re cheap enough to upgrade pickups on if needed.
I'm actually going to look at one tmw. I was thinking about the SE245 as the price is pretty low and could be a platform for upgrades if I wanted to. I think it was all those vids of Leon @2112 playing his SC245, though a Core model, that got me curious.

Maybe take a look at the Gibson Les Paul Tribute. I was also researching, buying and selling Les Paul-looking guitars that are not Gibson until I finally just bought the Tribute a week ago. Not the best setup out of the box, but otherwise I'm pretty impressed with quality and sound for their entry level model. And if for sure looks just like a Les Paul :)

This is mine:
1639874188349.jpeg

I have a battle plan for tmw and thanks for some of the new ideas today. I've confirmed the following guitars are all avail at my local shop. Will be a good way to spend my Sunday afternoon.
1) Gibson Les Paul Tribute
2) Gibson Les Paul Studio
3) Epiphone 59 Outfit
4) PRS SE245
5) PRS S2 Standard 24 Satin
6) PRS S2 Standard 22 Satin

I have a battle plan for tmw and thanks for some of the new ideas today. I've confirmed the following guitars are all avail at my local shop. Will be a good way to spend my Sunday afternoon.
1) Gibson Les Paul Tribute
2) Gibson Les Paul Studio
3) Epiphone 59 Outfit
4) PRS SE245
5) PRS S2 Standard 24 Satin
6) PRS S2 Standard 22 Satin

That looks like fun!

I’ve had a couple of satin finish guitars. My problem with those is wherever you touch it a lot, like during playing, it will get shiny in those spots. One I sold and the other I rubbed out to a shine.

That looks like fun!

I’ve had a couple of satin finish guitars. My problem with those is wherever you touch it a lot, like during playing, it will get shiny in those spots. One I sold and the other I rubbed out to a shine.

Is it a problem though? Hit it with the right kind of pad and it goes back to satin. Satin is usually thinner and the guitars seem more lively.

Also check out the Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro. I bought a silverburst back in April and love it. I played it side by side with Prs, Gibson, Schecter, and ESP Les Paul style guitars.

The Epiphone has the equivalent to the burstbuckers that come in the Gibson these days. The epiphone that I played and bought had an incredible sound unplugged and felt the best in my hands compared to all the others I played. Once plugged in I was able to get a decent Les Paul rock tone in about 2-3 min with a little 50watt Marshall Amp in the store. The build on the epiphone is great.

I was not a fan of the prophecy due to the modern style and active pickups. The one I picked was based on a 70s custom and it is 11 pounds (no weight relief). PXL_20210423_220649342.jpg

Looking at PRS...are there any major differences with the Standard 22/24's vs Custom 22/24's? The Customs just have some nicer appointments but for most part very similar yes?

Back
Top Bottom