Looking for an LP style guitar

Suppose you want an inexpensive Les Paul that sounds and plays great and doesn't have the flaws people rag on Gibson for.
Any recommendations?

I got a mid/late 90's Japanese Burny Super Grade last year and it does everything Les Pauly I could ask really well, and was dirt cheap too

If I was on a budget and wanted a Les Paul I would find an old (solid ) classic or Studio. Even the Classic T . All these are 99% the same as a standard but sell for a lot less. Also with any Gibson you absolutely need to look and play as many as possible because the QC is utter garbage over the whole range.

I have a Standard 50s sitting next to an S2 594 double-cut.

They're both fantastic guitars. Mine both have mostly standard wiring and SD Seth Lovers. There's no coil splitting in the PRS, but they both have a taper/range resistor on the bridge tone pot (because I literally never turn the birdge tone all the way up).

But, they're not the same guitar. If nothing else, the PRS's pickups are farther away from the bridge. The overtone series they pick up is different, and they will always sound different. The hardware, frets, and the geometry of everything outside of the nut & bridge are different too, but people are going to argue about that ad nauseum. But the pickup position thing is inarguable. The finishes are actually more similar than you think...modern non-CS Gibsons have a thin poly top coat. They're not pure nitro. The PRS is probably 2lbs lighter too, and the body is a good bit thinner.

The way I'd describe the sound is that the PRS sounds heavier and more hi-fi-ish.

It's kind of like the difference between a Les Paul and an SG, except in the opposite direction. The bridge is also "lower" (away from the headstock) on the PRS, so it feels substantially smaller.

For whatever it's worth, except for some very minor cosmetic defects (the finish kind of bleeds onto the binding), my 2019 Standard 50s is great. It doesn't have the flaws people complain about, and the very minor cosmetic things just don't bother me. My PRS also has a ding all the way through the finish to the raw wood on the back of the upper horn because I just bumped something exactly the right way to do it.

The Standard 50s is a weird mix of specs...it has the shorter neck tenon that the 1960 Les Pauls had but a thicker neck profile at least than the Standard 60s...though I haven't played a real burst, so no idea how close either is. The only vintage LP I've ever played was a 1952, and my Standard 50s neck isn't near that fat.

They're both really resonant and lively guitars, no dead notes, etc.. They really are both great.

If forced...I'd say that I think the PRS is "nicer". But, I still generally like the Les Paul more, at least for the sounds I like right now. But, I pick them both up.

It's worth playing them if you can. They're not the same guitar.

If you want a Les Paul, get the Gibson. IMHO, there's no such thing as a "Les Paul style" guitar. There are Les Pauls and there are "other guitars." Even an inexpensive Gibson can have that unique something, while an expensive clone can sound, feel, and play AMAZING... "but".
I actually think this is true except for the McCarty. Paul did a lot of work the Ted on this design and the new design is LP and a bag of chips. Just my take on it...

I actually think this is true except for the McCarty. Paul did a lot of work the Ted on this design and the new design is LP and a bag of chips. Just my take on it...
I owned a McCarty and a VERY similar Les Paul. It was my favorite PRS ever but it isn't a Les Paul. You could tell it was put together differently. It had more power and chime, but a less "vocal" quality.

A friend said "a PRS is often better built, but an LP sounds better". I think the detailed 50s/S2 post is pretty useful.

I dont ask my PRS to sound like an LP - I'd just buy an LP.

And if OP decides to go the used LP studio route (closer to an LPC in spec than a standard on older versions) they are harder to find under $1k CAD now.

A friend said "a PRS is often better built, but an LP sounds better". I think the detailed 50s/S2 post is pretty useful.

I dont ask my PRS to sound like an LP - I'd just buy an LP.

Yeah....I bought the S2 because it was kind of LP-ish but had its own thing going on.

Two schools of thought.
1 - you need a Gibson Les Paul for it to be the real thing. End of discussion, go try and a bunch and take one home.

2 - no way do you need a Gibson Les Paul. Forget heritage. Even Gibsons don't sound the same from guitar to guitar, and these days there's so much overlap in sounds and tonality. What parts of the Les Paul playing experience excite you? Les Pauls to me offer these features: shorter 24.75" scale, thick-ish neck to fill out my fretting hand, 2 volume knobs, hardtail bridge, set/glue neck construction, 2 classic sounding humbuckers or P90s, mahogany base wood, rosewood board. That gives you a ton of room for flexibility. You can go Gibson, PRS (check out the SEs!), Epiphone, ESP makes nice LP clones. One of my favorite tone experiences was auditioning an Epiphone LP with P90s, sounded absolutely brilliant. And check the weights - Les Pauls run heavy and this can be a bummer over the long term.

Anyways I always beat the drum of trying guitars in person. Time and time again, "on paper" has failed me where "hands and ears" have succeeded in spectacular ways. Vibe & connection > specs, IME.

If you want a Les Paul, get the Gibson. IMHO, there's no such thing as a "Les Paul style" guitar. There are Les Pauls and there are "other guitars." Even an inexpensive Gibson can have that unique something, while an expensive clone can sound, feel, and play AMAZING... "but".
Amen brother……couldn’t have said it better myself.

It never ends - The quest for the holy grail

I never fell for the LP fanboy there's nothing like an LP crap and never will.
Alex1Fly is absolutely right.
"Even Gibsons don't sound the same from guitar to guitar". So true.
So what's the standard? Which is the one that sounds best?
The one in above clip is supposed to be the holy grail but the PRS sounds exactly the same.
I've got a H150, a Tom Anderson Cobra T and a PRS SC 245.
They're all mahogany bodies/maple tops with mahogany necks and all with the same pickups.
I've recorded clips with all of them and can't tell the difference.
But I prefer the SC 245.
And I have one volume knob in the right place to do my violin swells and tone control.

I owned a McCarty and a VERY similar Les Paul. It was my favorite PRS ever but it isn't a Les Paul. You could tell it was put together differently. It had more power and chime, but a less "vocal" quality.
Sure, it makes sense because the McCarty has a broader build so it is able to get more tones. My current McCarty is almost identical in sound to my Les Paul when I need it to be. But I agree the McCarty has another gear that the LP doesn't. And, if all you want and need is just LP then, well LP! PRS is its own thing for sure.

Suppose you want an inexpensive Les Paul that sounds and plays great and doesn't have the flaws people rag on Gibson for.
Any recommendations?

I've never owned a bad Les Paul. I know the legend and lore of their inherent myths and flaws, but for me,
from Studios to Standards, all the Les Pauls I have owned have been great, without exception.

Last edited:
The Tremonti PRS guitars are GREAT options when looking for an LP style guitar.

If I was leaning on the heavier side of things and looking for some kind of LP-like
guitar I would be investigating Tremontis, too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom