Looking for an LP style guitar

Chewie5150

Fractal Fanatic
For sometime I've been waiting for a PRS CE24 to come in but i'm rethinking my needs as I already have a few bolt on /super strat guitars. What I'm missing is a Hard tail LP style guitar for those thick beefy tones! Here are a few guitars I"ve been looking at lately:
1) The new Gibson LP Standard 50s/60's spec guitars. I lean towards the 60's spec. $3200 CAD
2) PRS S2 594 McCarty. $2400 CAD
3) PRS SE 245 $1000 - leaves $$ to upgrade whatever components/electronics I want.

Thoughts? suggestions? I'm leaning towards Single cut. I want this guitar mainly for Rhythm playing

Cheers

@Budda That guitar is gorgeous! (also, sent you a PM) Man if that were local...I'd be all over it. They have a brand new Core 594 at a local shop here with gorgeous top for about $6000! Wish I had the disposable cash. check this out: https://stangguitars.com/products/copy-of-prs-singlecut-594-10-top-dark-cherry-burst

A new 10-top 594 is definitely up there haha. HBii even moreso!

I also have a 2019 Gibson standard from L&M and it's been getting more play time than the 594's - maybe because it's newer? All super fun guitars. Don't rule out S2 standards (all mahogany) either - I think there's one in red near you for $1k. That was my tour guitar, my lightest current guitar and I'd sell the 594's first lol (sentimentality and it's lighter than both).

I would buy that S2 594 and change the pickups to something you like. Amazing options for Les Paul pickups these days. Bare Knuckle Black Dog/Mule combo being a Very good one.

Other then the pickups the S2 is not much different then my 594 core for much less money.

Really the PRS McCarty is everything you ever wanted in a LP and more. You can't go wrong with one. The S2 is great and can be had easily used for 1300 USD

I would buy that S2 594 and change the pickups to something you like. Amazing options for Les Paul pickups these days. Bare Knuckle Black Dog/Mule combo being a Very good one.

Other then the pickups the S2 is not much different then my 594 core for much less money.

May not even need a pickup swap tbh.

If you want a Les Paul, get the Gibson. IMHO, there's no such thing as a "Les Paul style" guitar. There are Les Pauls and there are "other guitars." Even an inexpensive Gibson can have that unique something, while an expensive clone can sound, feel, and play AMAZING... "but".

Last edited:
If you want a Les Paul, get the Gibson. IMHO, there's no such thing as a "Les Paul style" guitar. There are Les Pauls and there are "other guitars." Even an inexpensive Gibson can have that unique something, while an expensive clone can sound, feel, and play AMAZING... "but".

Waiting for the Slash ghost built story in 3, 2, 1... :p

But Matt is right - if you want a Gibson Les Paul, buy a Gibson Les Paul.

Do you feel the same way about Cliff’s Collings city limits guitars?

I have recent buy, SE245 soap bar. It’s a LP style guitar. Fat body mahogany with maple top. Singlecut. 4 controls and fixed bridge. I love it. It’s really a great piece. I would like to get a humbucker 245 either the SC245 or the SE. I’m also lusting after the old US Hamer studios. Or Artists.

I have a 2013 LP Studio that was given to me as a gift, and it’s actually a sweet guitar. Resonant, light for a Les Paul, and the previous owner put Classic 57 pickups in it. Great guitar, and not too pricy on the market these days. It’s a good option.

The best Les Paul, though, isn‘t a Gibson Les Paul, it’s a PRS… the 594. I have a Soapbar Limited, and it’s just what I’d always want in an LP but didn’t find. I also have a hollowbody version, a if a great LP and 335 had a love child it would be that guitar. If you can swing it, the 594 would be my advice. Also, the lower output pickups in the core guitars are really nice, kind of like the old Gibson T-Tops… overdrive nicely, but still clear so you hear every note.

Last edited:
Epiphone 60s Tribute falls into the category of inexpensive Les Paul. Great playing, well made guitars.

I grabbed an Epiphone Les Paul standard outfit model for my brother for Christmas. It’s 59 specs with Gibson burstbuckers (2 neck, 3 bridge) stock. Plays and holds tune great. The headstock is done with a scarf joint and a less severe angle, so less chance of it snapping off from a stern look.
I had to do full setup, fret polish, and a deep fingerboard clean and condition on it but after the work it’s pretty nice. My only QC complaints other than the lack of setup work is some slight uneven binding thickness and a couple of file marks on the neck binding that didn’t get sanded smooth.

I also feel the Les Paul in it original form is unique. The tone is not exactly the same on anything else. There are a lot of problems with them though and it has to be a trade off between how much do you want that tone and what are you prepared to put up with.

What's the difference between the Epiphone 1959 Les Paul Standard Outfit and the Epiphone 1959 Les Paul Standard without the word "Outfit"? Are those actually the same model?

I also feel the Les Paul in it original form is unique. The tone is not exactly the same on anything else. There are a lot of problems with them though and it has to be a trade off between how much do you want that tone and what are you prepared to put up with.
What's your feeling about the Epiphone versions Andy?

Back
Top Bottom