Looking for an Albert King sound

rickbarclay

Inspired
Hi, all. Trying to learn solos for The Sky is Crying. I'm using preset #166, Albert's Lead, which I hope refers to A.K.,
and I'm playing through an ES 335. I need to tweak the preset a bit to get that Albert King bite, or twang, or whatever it
is. Can some good person give me an idea as to how I would fine tune #166. The preset amp is a Fender Tweed. I've
also tried the Fender Reverb and Super Reverb, but there's something lacking. Thanks for any suggestions.

Albert King was a great player, but he had the WORST tone.
Stevie Ray Vaughan's style was basically just copying 80% of Albert Kings, but what made SRV so great was Stevie's TONE.
When I play Albert Kings songs, I always just dial in SRV's tone.

Albert played solid state amps mostly I think, really loud.

I completely disagree with whoever said his tone sucked. Ask SRV or Jimi or Robben how they felt about it. Changed their lives.

I disagree Mikey. SRV never said Alberts TONE changed his life... it was Alberts aggressive PHRASING and string bending that changed his life. Tone is not the same as phrasing.

SRV was the MASTER of Blues Tone. If SRV loved Alberts tone he would have gotten closer to it. Alberts tone was thin, too bright, too harsh, too brittle, too plastic sounding. Horrible. I like Alberts playing, but hate the actual tone/sound of it.

Texas Flood is pretty much a rip off of every Albert King song ever.

Also a lot of Alberts tone came from the Korina flying V, very bright, and humbuckers. A terrible choice of guitar for the Blues.

Yeah, I kinda agree, Rez. Seems to be too much sustain in #166 for it to be King's sound. Different strokes for different folks,
I always say, and the reason I wanted A.K's tone and not someone else's was for it's authenticity, not for any perceived quality of tone.
Thanks for your replies, folks. I'll keep trying.

Back
Top Bottom