looking for an active FRFR Wedge.

henryrobinett

Fractal Fanatic
Not another thread about FRFR active cabs! I'm planning to start playing a lot more and need a compact powerful rig. Powerful is debatable. I'm a jazz guitarist who also plays fusion, funk, and a bit if everything. Although some band mates might argue, I don't play THAT loud, certainly not like most rock players.

My rig has been made for convenience and lightness. I have two old passive 1-12 cabs with JBLs. Might Celestians. I can't remember. It's been so long! I have these on the floor behind me, pointing up like wedges. For "power" I use an ancient solid state 2-80 Randall. Even at that it's more volume than I ever need. But the Lower wattage isn't all about volume, is it?

So now I'm thinking about getting a AX8 and two FRFR active wedges. A lot of my small gigs and rehearsals I'd just use one wedge.

I'm concerned with it not being too heavy and being of solid construction. I might want to build cases and be able to throw it (them?) in baggage in a plane! I can put the AX8 in a suitcase.

Tone-wise I'm not a metal guy. I like pronounced low end. I don't want brittle high end. I want warmth. Doesn't everybody?

I have a recording studio with FR powered NHT monitors I love.

Any suggestions

I have heard the Atomic CLR Neos are both light and powerful. If I were to try something else, it would likely be those. I have been using the RCF NX12SMA for years now, and I have no desire to change. Small, powerful, looks great on stage, and replicates anything I send to it well. I wouldn't say it is pronounced in any particular area, but it can be made so by setting what you send it as you want to hear it. Mike at AudioPyle hooked me up with mine (and a great RCF cover) at a nice price point; I recommend him if you go shopping (mike@audiopyle.com). I think Simeon is using a pair of the 10s (NX10SMA) and likes them, if you want a little smaller footprint.

If your ok with a cab rather then wedge the matrix fr10's might work out. 21lbs, under $700 each. You can buy two for the cost of one neo clr. Only thing is they haven't been released yet.

Perhaps I should have said I like low end rather than I'm looking for a pronounced low end. Thanks. I will check these suggestions out.

And although it's been years dance I've played through a 10 size matters. Last time I had a 10 it was a Polytone mini brute. It was convenient but sounded terrible. Not sure if the lack of size was a primary contributing factor to the mid range no low end.

Henry - check out the Atomic Amps CLR active wedges - they are absolutely brilliant.

There are 3 components in my rig that I absolutely can't imagine replacing:

The Axe Fx II XL+
Metric Halo ULN-8
Atomic Amps CLR active wedges

I have two CLR wedges, the first generation, and love em.

They have been extremely dependable. They can get really loud and full with no distortion. I normally gig with one.

I had one minor issue with the plastic knobs slipping off the pots. I am really careful packing / loading in and out, but the knobs would come off every time I transported the CLR's.

Jay Mitchell responded to a post about it on TGP and advised me to use some Teflon tape around the pot shafts. Worked like a charm. Been really locked on tight since.

Henry - Mic at Xitone has recently posted some info on cabs he is building with 10" speakers. He does wedges, both active and passive, as well as other configurations. He also does great work and I've seen numerous custom solutions he has built on request. I suggest you reach out to him...

There was another company I used to see active here that made really light and powerful active cabs. I got to hear them (and check the weight) in person a couple years back at the NorCal Axe Fx Summit. They were not using a coaxial design, but not sure if you care about that? I'll try to find the company name...

EDIT: the company I mentioned above is AccuGroove.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom