Looking for a solution for an unplugged expression pedal when using the Wah Block

Marcel

Inspired
So I've got an expression pedal used with the Wah Block. If I unplug that expression pedal the modifier detects it as toe down (max value). The scenario would be my expression pedal broke while playing live so I have to unplug it (not really the reason but let's go with this). Is there a way to change this behavior?

There are three ways I can think of for addressing this (I like the pedal off in the heel position):

1) Auto detect when the expression pedal is unplugged and use a configurable default value instead. This is not implemented as far as I know.

2) Change the modifier settings so that toe down results in a value of zero. In this scenario the pedal goes from min (heel) to max (toe) during the first 95% of travel then goes to zero in that last 5% of travel (toe down). I haven't found workable settings for achieving this.

3) Add functionality so the Wah Block turns off once the pedal stops moving for a set amount of time (regardless of pedal position). This is like the Weeping Demon Wah. This is truly the solution I would prefer because expression pedals get accidentally knocked out of position live and I usually find myself 20 feet from my pedal board when this happens in the middle of a crowd with my guitar sounding like a shrieking banshee. Maybe there's a way to do it? Maybe one of the pedal types has this functionality?

Aside from that I'm out of ideas.

If there is no external controller in use in that block because you set pedal 1 or 2 as source and the problem happens on stage the MacGyverish solution was to plug in a stereo patch cable in the pedal slot and connect tip and ground, ring stays unconnected.

If there is no external controller in use in that block because you set pedal 1 or 2 as source and the problem happens on stage the MacGyverish solution was to plug in a stereo patch cable in the pedal slot and connect tip and ground, ring stays unconnected.
Or simply set the initial values like @Patzag said, and unplug the TRS cable from the modeler and the modeler will default to on or off, depending on what has been configured.

You'd need to reboot or adjust the init. value after unplugging the pedal. If you just unplug it the value would go to 100% as the init. value is irrelevant once any movement is detected.

Axe FX III Manual
Page 150
Axe-Fx III Owner's Manual
EXTERNAL CONTROLLER INITIAL VALUES

I downloaded the latest manual because mine doesn't go to page 150 but the latest one is the same as mine. I did find the section you were referring to on page 61. I checked my settings and they're all set to zero which makes no sense because if I unplug any of the 4 expression pedals they default to 100% even after switching presets. Maybe that's because these pedals are connected to the FC-12 and perhaps there's another menu where I set the initital values for the FC pedals? I can't seem to find a reference to it on the unit or the manual.

I'm pretty certain I'm missing something obvious...

I downloaded the latest manual because mine doesn't go to page 150 but the latest one is the same as mine. I did find the section you were referring to on page 61. I checked my settings and they're all set to zero which makes no sense because if I unplug any of the 4 expression pedals they default to 100% even after switching presets. Maybe that's because these pedals are connected to the FC-12 and perhaps there's another menu where I set the initital values for the FC pedals? I can't seem to find a reference to it on the unit or the manual.

I'm pretty certain I'm missing something obvious...
Sorry - I may have an old version.
Are you using AutoEngage for toe up or toe down? What's your threshhold for on/off?
If your wah goes OFF when you are toe down, then your initial setting should be 100%, not 0.

Are you using AutoEngage for toe up or toe down? What's your threshhold for on/off?
If your wah goes OFF when you are toe down, then your initial setting should be 100%, not 0.
I have auto engage on, and those are the settings that I'm using. It works nicely.

Sorry - I may have an old version.

My wah goes off heel down.

Your Source 1 needs to be assigned to Ext Control 1 and the Ext Control 1 assigned to FC pedal 1
Wisdom. I’m surprised this isn’t used as the default. It makes exchanging presets between devices (axechange) much easier, and you also get the “set not plugged in default value” benefit.

Back
Top Bottom